German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been watching a lot of youtube videos lately( I don't know why, they usually anger me) and I keep hearing all these protection trainers say they train PPD's not sport dogs. They say it so derogatory like sport dogs are not trained to bite. Now I have only visited a handfull of clubs from different protection sports but I really am not sure what they mean. Do the majority of protection sports not really train dogs to bite? What are some of the training differences between a PPD and sport dog? From what I see in videos is a lot of the same stuff being done. So now I'm confused. I figure it was on the internet so it must be true.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
Maybe because they feel their training scenario's aren't pattern type training? I don't know, I train my dog in IPO and he isn't what I'd consider a sport dog, he'd probably do better in the SDA, KNPV or PSA style of training.
I think they are all trained to grip/aggress/transition?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Maybe because they feel their training scenario's aren't pattern type training? I don't know, I train my dog in IPO and he isn't what I'd consider a sport dog, he'd probably do better in the SDA, KNPV or PSA style of training.
I think they are all trained to grip/aggress/transition?
That's the way I see it. In my SchH and SDA clubs, we don't train much pattern at all. In my SDA club, they say once the dog has figured out the "pattern" it's over. So we train the scenarios but in different orders and change up what's happen in it a little. Actually we are trialing this month and have worked a pattern only a few times. My GF is trialing Heidi in two different classes and so she could practice, she worked the patterns with dogs that had already done it. Both of the clubs I attend don't train all in prey. They prefere active aggression from the dogs. They also don't tolorate equipment oriented dogs. As helpers we are often working a dog without any gear (except maybe a stick/whip) and then grab whatever is close (sleeves and suits are scattered all over like a war zone) to give a grip. We also don't only train on a field. We will work where ever someone wants. We just like to play. I think we only use the titles for some type of structure haha.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
I've only done the pattern once and that was last week at training. I need to do it a couple more times(without my dog!) before we trial so I know it better.
My dog isn't equipment oriented whatsoever, but doesn't bite dirty either, and yea, training in different locations/scenarios is best. I wish there was an SDA trial nearby, they've become far and few between.
Last year I did a protection K9 challenge, and never worked my dog in any of the exercises they suprised us with. For never doing any of it, my dog did me proud. He'd only been on a suit a couple of times, they offered the sleeve so he didn't target their body/armpit.
It was a blast and I look forward to it this year. http://s207.photobucket.com/user/onyxpup/library/Michigan K-9 Challenge

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm having a lot more fun in SDA. I'm still doing IPO for the sake of doing it and because it's the most recognized.

Just find people that want to train SDA and do it! Rules have changed and you don't have to be an affiliated club to hold a trial anymore. Even my IPO club is going to hold an SDA trial this year.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
What if my club isn't affiliated with any organization? But we are all in the SDA database? We'd just need to bring in a judge?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What if my club isn't affiliated with any organization? But we are all in the SDA database? We'd just need to bring in a judge?
Yes just a judge and certified decoys. You might be supprised how many people would show up as well. My group is going from CA to TN for a trial. Like you said not too many trials, so when one comes up people go!

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
Our club members have(had) two certified decoys, I think they are up for re-cert. Hmmm, I'll bring this up at training. When UKC split from SDA it downward spiraled, sadly.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Our club members have(had) two certified decoys, I think they are up for re-cert. Hmmm, I'll bring this up at training. When UKC split from SDA it downward spiraled, sadly.
Yes and now they are actively trying to get it going strong again. I have been trying to spread the word and get more groups holding trials.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Sorry, is SDA "Service dog of America"?

I have not attended many training sessions (ten?), but am getting started in PSA. From what I have seen so far, I do not see a difference between training PSA and PPD. In either, the dog is permitted to bite where he pleases. Is that not what the ultimate goal is in either? Perhaps PPD is transitioned to hidden sleeve quicker.
Also assuming PSA is considered a sport, but I would not have a straight answer on that.
Apologies if this is unrelated to the topic or innacurate. I am amateur at best, trying to learn as well.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, is SDA "Service dog of America"?

I have not attended many training sessions (ten?), but am getting started in PSA. From what I have seen so far, I do not see a difference between training PSA and PPD. In either, the dog is permitted to bite where he pleases. Is that not what the ultimate goal is in either? Perhaps PPD is transitioned to hidden sleeve quicker.
Also assuming PSA is considered a sport, but I would not have a straight answer on that.
Apologies if this is unrelated to the topic or innacurate. I am amateur at best, trying to learn as well.
Yes, SDA is Service Dogs of America.

I only ask because people talk about protection sports like the dogs are taught to only bite a sleeve. Are there really clubs out there that do this? I've only attended a few clubs but none of them promoted sleeve oriented dogs. If a dog was focused on a sleeve then the sleeve was removed from the equation. All the groups I've seen seem to want the dogs to be "real". As a decoy that's what I try to promote. We don't work the dogs in pure prey. If the dog can't handle it the dog is washed out. Maybe that hurts too many peoples feelings or something. I don't know.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
PP starts off as a sport but we take it to a next level and its really real no more sleeves its all very realistic we use body suits jackets hidden sleeves attack int the woods while walking my dog

attacked in the car

all kinds of stuff very unlike sport training and a lot of sport dogs wont enjoy it

the good ones will though

there are whips there are sticks men attacking etc... a lot of dogs shut down or go into avoidence. WHen they mean sport dogs they just mean your average poorly bred or typical sport dog (prey monster). not the good ones from good breeders. A good sport dog well bred can do PP work easy. MAL or gsd.

THe protection work for sport dogs is very easy and not hard to do but pp protection is very intense takes a serious strong minded dog for it. Not a sleeve shark. The dog needs to want to eat the man not the sleeve.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Application

Basic training for a sport OR a police/security dog consists of learning to bite and release on command, same thing for either application. For decades good police dogs have been trained with a sleeve, and sport dogs have worked on a suit, so equipment is not the reason one is a sport and one is a police dog. Some sports use a suit because they have no designated bite target BUT they do have a 'preferred' target, for example.

I just did a protection seminar in Arkansas. One handler considered his training 'protection' becuase he used a suit. When he sent his dog down the arena, to catch a fleeing decoy, the dog ran past the decoy, turned and tried to jump and bite his left inside arm, which was not being held outstretched, that is definitely sport dog.

You can train with any sort of equipment as long as you don't teach a pattern or target of any kind. The other big difference is a protection dog is trained to fight after engagement. A sport dog will bite a sleeve and then be driven so the judge can asses him, as the dog hangs on.
In many Ring sports, the dogs learn to bite the lower leg becasue it is harder for the decoy to esquive a dog biting an ankle. The bite is not scored or assesed just the fact that the dog caught the decoy.

Likewise in many American sports, dogs are targeted on the left inner arm then after biting, just hang on as things are rattled or shook around their heads.

A protection dog learns to fight AFTER they bite. So a sport dog is judged when he bites, and a protection dog is judged for how he fights AFTER the initial bite. Any dog that learns the basics can do either one, it all depends on the training after they learn those basics

www.k9prosportsonline.com
www.thepolicedog.com
www.k9kountry.net

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
recent there has been a lot of talk about starting pp off as civil, waiting till the dog matures then starting civil and then moving to the sleeve suit after, I assume this would be for some more prey orientated dogs that might have a hard time making a connection between the equipment and man. With a naturally civil dog you can start them off anyway does not mat matter it will be easy training as they dont forget the man.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
For me, the big diffrence between sport training and PP training is that sport training requires a much higher level developing a specific behavioral topography that the judges look for and grade. It does not neccessarily have anything to do with the quality of the dog in terms of real life application sucha s a patrol dog of a military apprehension dog. Training a dog for personal protection dogs not require to high degree of repetitiveness in the bitework because, as I have said before, It creates amindset in the dog that the bitework is a game. I have also said, I don't see a high need for personal protection dogs except in particular situations. It is also a combinations of genetics and training. If you take a young puppy and teach him early on how to excel in prey work, that is good for sport, but creates drawbacks for a serious PP dog. Again, you will not know if the dog has the gentic package needed for real man work unless you wait for the dog to mature. Peolple interested in this work become reinforced by their young pup working well in prey, and that is fine for sport, but has major drawbacks for PP, police servive work and military applications.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Chip I still dont understand what you are talking about, to make pp training worth it and so the dog does not get stressed out the dog is switched in and out of drives, its not always totally real unless you get to have a bran new decoy each time you train. Smart dogs figure out what is going on eventually, they still learn the skills needed to be learned and become man fighters if they are good dogs to begin with.

The decoy a real good one will keep the dog just from going into avoidence he will sometimes put the dog in defense/fight/prey sometimes its just a game to the dog. Depends whats going on. After its over gloves are off and the dog diffuses. A dog that always views everything as a threat like the decoy as a constant threat will never last long in a fight. These dogs lose heart quick. GSD are not meant to be worked like that they are not a pure defensive dog like a LGD. A LGD such as a CO or a CAO will constantly view the decoy as a threat.

Before the dog ever touches defense you need to build its courage in the first place. There are a lot of eastern lines you can tell very soon if the dog has it in them to be naturally civil or not. You dont have to wait with a lot of lines. Right away experienced trainers will know.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
also wanted to mention something i was told if the gsd is more defensive/civil by nature it is probably better idea to do more prey work with the decoy in pp then defensive work

If the dog is more prey by nature or sporty it is probably better to do more defensive work with the decoy

It also really depends on the individual dog

If you have a naturally civil dog with high prey you can't really go wrong. You can have any kind of foundation you like because the dog always looks at the man. Does not mean the dog thinks the man is a constant threat but the dog just doesnt care for that much for equipment. If they have balance and strong nerves they will only see the decoy as a threat when he acts like one.

But ignore the bottom part I do understand what you are trying to say. You just got to see it more often. GOOD GSD's are much better at PP than other breeds their brains are huge (except mals)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The dog doesn't always have to be worked in defense. Aprey bite on the bad guy escaping from a hiding area a night would work. Muzzle work is good too if the dog has what it takes. The problems people take about about working a dog in defense too much have to do with doing it too sonn, the dog might lack confidence and be overly defensive to begin with, and it doesn't create the performance the judges want to see in some sports. It is more about creating a mind set in the dog where the dog doesn't always work on a field expecting the same thing almost every session. Sport requires so much refinement, you have to do a ton of repetition and the dog quickly learns it is just a game.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Here's an outsider's POV...I haven't trained Schutzhund or PP, but I've been to trials.

I think the discussion is largely based on the premise that everyone does Schutzhund the way it was meant to be done. If you're training Schutzhund because you want a well trained, well tested, all-around dog, and you understand how important control is in the sport, then I don't think your dog is that far off from PP. The problem lies in all the people that are just doing it to title, get that high score, and breed. Or just to pat themselves on the back for that high 290.

I've seen dogs that couldn't control themselves once the decoy was out there. They missed blinds, they bit repeated times...they knew EXACTLY what was going on and EXACTLY when it was going to happen. I have doubts that the handler even needed to say anything in the obedience phase and the dogs just would've done it from memory.

I train in AKC obedience and my instructor does Schutzhund. She's told me numerous times not to "confuse" my dog by doing exercises backwards or allowing him to jump a jump he'll never have to jump in a trial. But the funny thing is that she does train what I would consider "correctly" for Schutzhund. Still...many people do train the pattern because in the end the score and the title is more important the dog actually being able to do X in the real world.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts