German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is 10 months, so she definitely has her adult teeth, but she chews with intent to destroy! Tennis balls last minutes and she's not interested in fetching them outside, rope toys are a definite no. Even the toy made out of fire hose took 45 minutes to have a hole in it.She has a "powerful chewer" nylabone, and that usually lasts about 2 months. The only other toy she plays with all the time is her undestructoball, which says it will last 5 years with a strong dog (fingers crossed!). I still give her other toys, but not for very long at one time. What toys stand up to your dog?

The best toys outside right now have got to be icicles and snowballs. My dog will ignore frisbees and balls for some snow or a stick.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Please don't give your dog tennis balls to chew. The glue is bad for their teeth.

Pretty much the only things that I've seen stand up to powerful chewers are the Kong products.

Your other option is to give her very inexpensive things to amuse herself, like plastic soda bottles or empty paper towel rolls. Just make sure you supervise so she doesn't ingest part of it.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
KONG. Nothing I have never found can beat the Kong. Plus, you fill it with peanut butter and freeze it. Makes a great treat.
They come in different sizes so you can get bigger ones as your dog gets older.
I swear we have 2 of every size Kong ever made.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My male destroys a black kong about every 3 weeks. If you purchase at petco and save your receipt, they will accept returns for 30 days. We are on our 10th free Kong.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
My male destroys a black kong about every 3 weeks. If you purchase at petco and save your receipt, they will accept returns for 30 days. We are on our 10th free Kong.

Good to see that Petco does that.

I have got to see this dog.......lol.
I've never hard of a dog wrecking a Kong. I'm sure it happens, but this is the first time I've had anyone tell me their dog wrecked one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My dogs have a black rubber frisbee called "Chewber". That has held up very well through chewing, catching, tug, etc.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Keeta has never been much of a strong chewer - only because she isn't into chewing that much. But when she wants to, she can chew a black kong apart to get to that little bit of peanut butter on the botton she just can't reach . . .

Many "indestructible" toys get destroyed within minutes with my two dogs. So far, what has held up well for them are:

Cuz toys

And the Chuckit Ultraballs.

You should get the larger sizes as above.
Tennis-sized balls are very dangerous for GSD's. They can actually partially swallow them and choke on them.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I'k love to find a Chewber! Frisbees get destroyed in record time around here! That's Gryff in my avatar jumping with the remains of a dead Kong Frisbee!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Nylabones!! Also, I buy antlers and my crew LOVE them :)

They sell a "more" indestructable Kong that is blue through certain sites that is supposed to be awesome...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Like everyone else said...I think Kong is the way to go.

I see you said rope toys are a definite no...Is that personal preference or is it just that the dog destroys it really quickly? I know they have some rope toys that are balled up and they seem to work pretty well with my shepherd and also my pitbull. They seem to enjoy it and it doesnt get destroyed like all the other toys do.

Mammoth Pet Products Colossal Monkey Fist Rope Ball Dog Toy at PETCO

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
She plays with her black Kong and hasn't destroyed that, sometimes she gets her bottom jaw stuck in it and carries it around that way.

Don't worry, I don't let my dog chew up tennis balls, I know she could swallow a little piece easily. She does love plastic bottles, they seem to be a lot of fun for the 10 minutes she gets to play with that. I always peel the labels off and rinse them out first.

I've been interested in Cuz toys, I'll have to check them out!

I say no to the rope toys because she loves to eat strings as it is, and when she does destroy them (pretty quickly) she swallows little bits. And the strings she doesn't swallow end up all over the house.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Have you tried Lacrosse balls? We have found that those are the only balls that Angus can't destroy. The white and yellow ones are the toughest.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you get the super big kong, you can stick a smaller one in it - will last longer - I had a foster pitty once - that's what worked. Kai uses Kongs and Nylabones.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Now, if their video showed their chewber standing up to being usd as a tug-toy between a working line GSD and a Rottie mix . . . THEN I'll be 100% convinced, LOL!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Kong balls work well and there are Kong Frisbees too! We buy thick rope tugs too. The girls love them and the ropes last almost a week!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
My Male is a powerful chewer has destroyed many toys and balls. We love the Orbee ball it bounces and goes so far with out much effort on my part and it is indestructible but he can squezze and chew it!

Orbee-Tuff Cosmos Ball - Dog.com

1 - 20 of 65 Posts