German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure there are tons of threads on this already but...I am having a really hard time with my 10 week old puppy going pee in the house. We go out constantly and he does pee outside but I cant get him to go out all the time. He pees in his crate during the day and on his bed at night. I am giving him treats when he goes outside but hes not getting it. I am being patient with him, Ive never yelled at him for it, but its frustrating because I know I am doing something wrong.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Are you watching him 24/7 and catching him every time? I am not joking, 24/7, any time he is awake you should be staring at him, that way for a few days you will catch him every time mid pee and can take him outside.

Have you ruled out a UTI by any chance?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you watching him 24/7 and catching him every time? I am not joking, 24/7, any time he is awake you should be staring at him, that way for a few days you will catch him every time mid pee and can take him outside.

Have you ruled out a UTI by any chance?
A UTI would be logical considering how often and randomly he pees. If I am not at work, he has my undivided attention. Well, not right now because I am typing. ;)

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Where did you get him? If at a petstore they learn to go to the bathroom in their cage cause they have to so it makes training so much harder.

Otherwise it really does take time and patience. I use baby gates and closed doors to keep them in the room with me. A large tarp from Home Depot helps protect the floor (and makes pee easier to hear to catch them in the act) as well as making clean up a snap.

I really do take my pups outside about every hour or so when I'm home. All the time (why I don't get winter puppies :) ). So there are lots of opportunities to praise for going pee/poo outdoors.

I also never have water in the crate and monitor the water if crating will happen in the next hour or so. Like at night or before I have to leave the house for work.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'd make sure you clean the crate with a solution that will remove the ensymes of the urine so he doesn't assume "This is the place to go"

How big is the crate compared to him? Is it so big he can walk to one end pee and then walk to the other end and sleep? If so you need to make the crate smaller with a wall so he has enough room to turn around and lay down no more.

I would also start setting your clock for every 4 hours (Maybe 3 to start) and get up take him outside and get him to pee then back in bed reset your alarm.

When he's home he is ALWAYS attached to you or in his crate don't allow him time to wander around the house is huge and there are many corners for him to pee in.

My dog had 3 accidents and all of them were when I wasn't close enough or conscious enough (Sleeping on the floor beside him outside of a crate).

After I became more active and diligent with him it got much easier, but consistency and patience really pay off here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts