German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help, I have a 14 week old Shepherd. She has Been puppy pad trained since 8 weeks old and has done amazing. I have been trying to transition her to outside and having a very difficult time. Last week I took her out back or on walks frequently and stayed out with her for an hour around her normal pee times (after eating, playing and sleeping etc). She would not go outside, I would be out there with her for like an hour. I then bring her in and she would instantly squat on the floor where her pads would be. I would stop her mid pee or poo to take her outside(thinking she would finish outside) and nothing. I would bring her back in after another 45 mins and she would try to go on the floor again. I have tried taking her pee pads outside for smell and nothing. We took her camping in our motorhome and she NEVER peed in our motorhome and peed outside fine(she even held her bladder all night, not a peep out of her) . How do I get her to go outside now that we are home. I even take her out with my other dog and nothing. She will hold her pee till she is inside. Is it a shepherd thing, I have owned boxers and labs and never had an issue with transitioning outside. I'm outside with her every 2-3 hours, and she will hold it. I've never had a puppy this young that can stop mid pee or poo and go outside and not finish. Any help would be appreciated. I love this little girl like crazy.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
It's not a Shepherd thing; she is doing exactly what you taught her. So go back to house training 101. It will take much longer than if you had done this form the very start but it is do-able. Put the pad outside the door (no longer inside) and gradually move it to the spot where you want her to go. If you made it this far,, cut the pad smaller and smaller until you no longer need it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have already started moving the pad towards the door. I have trained many puppies in my lifetime this way and never had a puppy so stubborn. I just thought maybe the stubborness was a shepherd thing lol

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I wouldn't have even dealt with the pads to begin with, but sounds like it hasn't been a problem for you with other puppies.

I don't have any recommendations other than what you're doing, moving the pad closer to the door where eventually it is outside.

I just wanted to say you have a gorgeous puppy!! She looks so soft! I miss that soft puppy fur.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mine was litter trained when I got her. She still has a litter box in her X-pen in the kitchen since I have to leave her alone about 4.5 hours to go to work. She's 13 weeks and only uses it during those times when she's in the X-pen. Planning to phase that out as soon. In the living room, where the back door is, she goes to the door sometimes, and sometimes just stops and without warning squats right there in the room. I make sure she goes out every 20-30 minutes at age 13 weeks, but sometimes she'll go in between just like that, no sniffing or warning. She can go 6 hours overnight. Not sure when "can" hold it will translate to "will" hold it, but we're getting there.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
She looks like an akita mix to me. Very cute.

As far as the potty training, she is not being stubborn. She's just confused about why you suddenly changed what you wanted. I agree with Wolfy; you will have to completely restart. I would avoid using puppy pads from now on with any dogs you get in the future. There really isn't a reason to use them at all, and now you can see why it can be a bad thing. Good luck!

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the thing though, I have moved to a totally different area so she doesn't associate going to the bathroom there. I don't have pads down and I take her out every hour for anywhere from 40 min to an hour and she will not go. As soon as I bring her in she squats anywhere on the floor. If I stop her mid pee to go outside she will not go until she comes in the house. Not sure what else to do, obviously I will keep doing what I'm doing and I know there is no magic trick to it. Its just so weird that she never went in our camper once and held bladder for 6 + hours and went outside no problem while camping lol

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
What you teach GSDs is what they do and they don't really like any changes in routines. They are very consistent. Stubbornness is a human trait. If we call a dog 'stubborn' we need to find a technique that works better, being a smarter trainer and not find an excuse to blame the dog by labeling it 'stubborn'.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
How are you taking her out? Is she on a leash, or are you allowing her to wander around and play/explore on her own? I would make the outside trips as boring as you can possibly make them. She doesn't get to wander around. No chewing on sticks or the grass. No playing with you. As soon as she goes make a huge deal, then run around and play with her for a minute. Basically make sure she has the greatest time AFTER she goes to the bathroom and the time before she goes is boring.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The reason amongst many why I don’t ever use pads. You would need to start over as if she was a 8 week old puppy but use a crate I prefer plastic airline type. Giver her room to lay down and stand up only. Feed her in the crate always. Need to find her routine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How are you taking her out? Is she on a leash, or are you allowing her to wander around and play/explore on her own? I would make the outside trips as boring as you can possibly make them. She doesn't get to wander around. No chewing on sticks or the grass. No playing with you. As soon as she goes make a huge deal, then run around and play with her for a minute. Basically make sure she has the greatest time AFTER she goes to the bathroom and the time before she goes is boring.
When I take her out she is always on her leash and I do make it very boring for her lol... When I'm home I do umbilical with her. She is still not the biggest fan of her crate, even after positive reenforcement training since the day I got her. I will just keep on, right now she has no problem peeing where she sleeps because she does not want to go outside. Like I said I have had lots of success with puppy pads, but every dog is different and they obviously were not a good idea for her, and I may stay clear if I ever get another puppy. Thnxs for all the imput

·
Registered
646 Posts
Crate training is the only thing I can think of. You need to start over

Pup is in crate for an hr. Take out to go potty (make sure you got your treats!). Say your potty command. Give pup 5mins to go. If puppy doesn't go, then it's back inside and back into the crate for 15-20mins

Rinse, wash, repeat until puppy goes. Then throw a party and have some play time

Until she goes, I'd carry her in and out so she doesn't try to go indoors. Once she goes, then you can allow her to walk in on her own

·
Registered
857 Posts
I've got something similar. My almost-6-month old, only knows to pee within a 4-5 house radius. When he was 8 weeks old, I would take him to the same spot outside...the way we're taught to do. He learned to expand that to a few houses down. And this pertains to poop too. The problem comes when I go for long walks or drive him to some other location. He won't go outside of those 4-5 houses. At some point in the walk he will start walking faster and pulling me to get back to his "spot" and when we get back to home, he lets loose. This makes it hard for me to take him anywhere like to the store or on car rides, because he won't go in unfamiliar areas. Anyone have suggestions? Is it a matter of him being a puppy still. I mean, he hasn't learned to lift is leg up yet, in other words, marking his territory. I thought of taking him to walk with other grown up dogs in the neighborhood and maybe if he saw other dogs pee all over, he'd get an idea. I don't know if that would work. I also thought of taking him to the dog park ( I swore I'd never take another dog to a dog park), and letting him run around until he has no choice but to pee there. I know when they're being potty trained we're supposed to take him to the same spot until they figured it out. I guess I've done that too well because he won't go anywhere else. So anyone with suggestions, please pipe in. The good thing is I know where he'll go and I don't have to walk far. The bad thing is I can't take him anywhere and long walks get difficult halfway when he starts pulling me back.

Sorry, OP, for hijacking this thread. I think it's a similar problem and could probably use the same answers.

·
Super Moderator
7,937 Posts
Maybe it’s an Akita thing :D

Reactions: Chuck94!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think the problem could be with communication. Either she's not signaling when she has to go or you're not picking it up. And if you're taking her out so often (did you say every 15 mins.?) she isn't putting it together because she isn't feeling thatto eliminate urge every time you take her out. There's no connection in her doggy brain.

Since you're already using the pee pads successfully, I'd continue with them but limit them to right in front of the door. Wait until you see pup approaching the pee pad/door, Then scoop her up saying, "Do you need to go out?" Take her out and don't bring her back in until she goes. If she pees on the pad before you get to her to take her out, that's your bad. :smile2:Don't correct her, the deed is done and you want her to be willing to approach the door when she needs to eliminate!

Once you can consistently get her to signal her need to go out by approaching the pee pad/door and you are getting to her consistently in time, then you can eliminate the pad altogether.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some progress

So we have had some positive progress happen. She has only had 1 accident in the house since yesterday and that was on me for not paying attention (making cupcakes for daughters class lol). I have had her attached to my hip all day and when I can't have her with me she is crated, and she is doing great. She is holding is at night (6-8 hours). She has been going outside regularly, but if given a chance she still wants to go in the house I just keep a close eye on her. She is still not giving me ques as when she wants to go out so its been every 3-4 hours, after meals etc. Sometimes she doesn't go, but she has been going outside so that's such an improvement. I appreciate all the advice, it really has helped. Thnxs everyone

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 step forward and 2 steps back

I have successfully gotten her to go outside both poop and pee, but she still has the habit of going inside that I can't seem to break. She gives absolutely no ques that she needs to go. I took her out for a pee and she went, I brought her in (keeping her in the kitchen with me so I can keep a constant eye on her) and with in 15 mins she is peeing on the floor. No sniffing no indication just walks over to the fridge and squats. The only way I can stop her from peeing is to have her attached to me with a leash, which I have no problem doing but then I'm worried i won't get the ques I need when she needs to go out. She Is a VERY vocal girl who barks if she can't reach a toy or barks at her food when she is hungry and barks when she needs more water. So can't really use that as a que. Any extra suggestions or just keep going and it will stop in time. I don't want to bring the pads back however, at least with the pads she was going in one place only.

·
Super Moderator
5,913 Posts
She’s only 14-15 weeks old. She’s not going to tell you that she needs to go out. You have to take her out more frequently. Any accident in the house is on you.

As for peeing outside, and then coming in and peeing again, you’re going to need to stay outside longer. Sometimes they don’t empty their bladders because they get distracted. I know it seems like you are running outside all the time, but that’s really what it takes.

Reactions: tc68
1 - 20 of 20 Posts