German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am getting ready to get a bigger crate for my gsd puppy. i plan to start potty training her using this crate as well. since it is starting to heat up here, i am going to bring her inside from the patio. here's my question. do i lay newspaper on the side i want her to use the bathroom on or just use the pan underneath and put the paper there? also, do i need to put anything in there for her to lay on? it would seem uncomfortable with just the wire.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Do NOT let her potty in the crate! That will defeat the purpose of crate training and cause all sorts of problems. Keep her in there with the crate pan or a bed, if she doesn't rip it up, and just make sure she only has room to turn around. It must not be large enough to allow her to potty in it at one end and stay dry at the other. Your job will be to take her out often enough so she learns that the potty is outside! If you need to set up an indoor potty of sorts, which is far from ideal, there are other options but it should never include the crate.

Also, I am very glad you're bringing your pup indoors! GSDs are not good outside dogs; they need to be inside with the family. Unless they get hours of attention every single day, an outdoor GSD tends to suffer, so it's great you're going to be raising her as an indoor dog now!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
put blankets in the crate. mats or beds are available for the crate. you don't want her to use the crate for potty. take her outside often. we took our boy outside every 15 mins. in the begining. as time passed we gradually went to every 1/2 hour, every 45 min. and on to every hour untill it became every 4 to 6 hours. i let my dogs out every 4 hours or so. they can hold it longer but why make them hold it?? i like them to be comfortable. i never used paper to train this Shep. i have in the past. designate an area in your house for your paper training. why was your puppy on the patio?? your dog needs to be around you. you can't possibly think that's it's ok for your puppy not to have bedding in it's crate. when you crate your puppy put some toys or bones in the crate so your puppy has something to play with. i'm glad you're going to stop abusing your puppy by not leaving her on the patio. bond with your puppy by having her near you. it's good for both of you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay, first of all, i am not abusing my puppy. i put her out there because she had fleas, and i wanted to keep her out there until i killed the source. i spend hours out there with my puppy. i sit, play with her, play with her outside in the backyard, and all of that. she's just not out there while i am in the house. when i first got her, she was in the house. i did not say that it was okay for her to not have bedding, she has bedding in her first crate. i just asked the question about it because it would seem uncomfortable if there wasn't anything in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts