German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!! We are new to the world of German Shepherds, what a thrilling ride so far. Our new pup’s name is Chief and he is 9 weeks old. He has an older Chihuahua brother named Giuseppe. My husband has been wanting a German Shepherd since he was a boy. We have slowly been potty training, but are having some trouble. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Don't let CHEIF out of your site and let him out every hour offering him a treat when he potty's outside and another treat when he comes right back in the house. He should;d be crated so after sleeping out to go potty he goes. He should have no free time out of site. Yell No if he goes in the house and bring him outside. Praise and a treat when he goes outside. Diligence not rocket science.

·
Registered
866 Posts
My (9 months old) pup pees on command. When I tell him "tinkle," he immediately starts looking for a spot and will pee within seconds. Every time your pup pees, use the same word. Pooping is a different story. I've been using "potty" for pooping. He still hasn't gotten that one. It's a work in progress. He'll eventually get it.

- Take him to the same spot outside and praise him and give him a treat when he does his business outside. Make it a party....exciting for the puppy.
- He should be able to hold it for x months = x hours. So 2 months old = 2 hours long. On top of that you must take him out after every meal, nap, playtime.
- When he's getting into position to pee or poo, pick him up immediately and take him out. Don't walk him out. If you do, you give him the opportunity to do it on the way out.
- Don't expect to get good sleep for a few more weeks. When mine was that age, I would go to bed really really late and get up really early. That way I could get 4-5 hours of uninterrupted sleep. So I would take him out at around 1:30am and wake up around 5am (unless he woke me up earlier). As he got older that time changed. For me, I'd rather have that short uninterrupted sleep than having to wake up several times a night.
- Take his water away sometime between 7 and 8pm. He won't need to pee as much when you're sleeping if you do take it away earlier. It usually takes a couple hours for a young pup to cycle through the water.
- I kept (and still keep) a pee/poo journal. It helps me keep track of when he last did it and that way I can predict when he will do it next. Besides, days will run into each other and then you can't remember when he last did it because every day seems the same. Knowing when he last peed/pooped helps you predict his next time. Some think this is a stupid idea. But I know quite a few people who do this and it works for us.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 5 month old also goes on command. I take her out say go" potty" sometimes she looks like she doesn't want to so I point and say again. Yes you need to take out to go potty often!!! That is the trick. As often as you can. And praise. Everything the person above me said. GSD are very smart. If you are consistent they will catch on period.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts