German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are on day 4 of our new puppy. I am looking for opinions on whether to bring the puppy out on a leash or to get a chain to put him on for 5 or so minutes while he tries to use the potty. I have noticed he goes to the bathroom well for me but not so much for the kids. What do you do? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
How about you just take him out on a leash. Thats whats working. He wants to play with the kids.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
If the kids, depending on their age, are capable of taking the puppy out, great. But all need to be on the same page.. You become a post that rotates are are boring to the puppy. And you have special great treats for as soon as the puppy is done going. And remember, some puppies will pee more than once so many complain they take their pup out, it pees and then comes in and does it again. No playing during potty time. No off leash in in fenced yard until they go. If you don't go out with the pup, how do you know it went and how does it know that it was the greatest pup in the world for going?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input! I like that I'm able to watch him go and give him a treat right afterwards. He definitely loves the positive reinforcement.

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
I did a notification to have your thread moved to a more appropriate forum, since it doesn't belong in Current Dog Affairs. :) I'm a moderator but this is not one of my sections, so I can't move it for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your puppy has an accident and you bring him right outside. Do you put him in the kennel for a little bit when he comes back in and then bring him out again when you take him out of the kennel? Would this reinforce the idea of using the bathroom outdoors or would it just make the puppy think of his kennel as a place he goes when he does something wrong?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts