German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smokey is now 12 weeks old. He's been doing great. Barely any accidents (and those only when he is playing with our other dog and is over excited). He has been ringing the doorbell to go out fairly consistently.

That is, until the last 24-48 hours. 3-4 times we found him standing in a puddle. We Always have someone watching him but the kids (13,14,18) have been slacking a bit on their turns and not paying as close attention since he's been doing so good. I discussed with the kids about this and they are doing a bit better. If it seems he's peeing randomly we will take him in to test for a urine infection but for now we are watching as it may be just kids ignoring him.

BUT that's not what I am concerned about. He is not only having these accidents but then if we don't stop him he is trying to pick it up. He always has plenty of water. We upgraded his bowl to a bigger one so he doesn't run out as fast. (Need to buy another one cause he likes to play in the water and the new one tips too easy)

I've heard of dogs who eat their poop. My other dog will eat his throw up if we don't stop him. But I've never heard of a dog who licks up his pee.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
My Gunny did that..In fact it made it a little harder to tell if he didn't pee in his crate. He is now 10 1/2 months old, doesn't lift his leg to pee and often pees on his front legs..He cleans them off. I was blessed to get him as my first puppy since I retired...and probably at my age my last puppy. He was easy to housebreak. Just hard to tell if he had "uh-ohs". I also got the Clorox brand Urine remover. It will foam if there is urine, or dried urine where you spray it. I limited his water after 8 pm, in fact none in the crate as he would just flip it. I took him to one place outside, on lead and was a super boring post..and he would often pee more than one time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Gunny did that..In fact it made it a little harder to tell if he didn't pee in his crate. He is now 10 1/2 months old, doesn't lift his leg to pee and often pees on his front legs..He cleans them off. I was blessed to get him as my first puppy since I retired...and probably at my age my last puppy. He was easy to housebreak. Just hard to tell if he had "uh-ohs". I also got the Clorox brand Urine remover. It will foam if there is urine, or dried urine where you spray it. I limited his water after 8 pm, in fact none in the crate as he would just flip it. I took him to one place outside, on lead and was a super boring post..and he would often pee more than one time.
He's never gone in his crate but if he did I would be able to tell cause he has a blanket in there. My other dog could not have one when he was a puppy but Smokey doesn't chew on it. My other dog likes to chew and eat anything (he doesn't touch most of our stuff but give him a rope and he'll eat it) while Smokey likes to play with stuff but doesn't really chew too much at all.

I'm wondering if he knows he's not supposed to see in the house and is trying to hide it by licking it up? That is why my other dog tries to eat his throw up- to clean it up since its not supposed to be there.

Another thing I was thinking is that he is growing fast. My son potty trained early and during growth spurts (mental or physical) he would regress. Would a puppy possibly do that? Be unable to wait to go outside due to a period of quick growth? He's usually on the way to the door or even at the door when he goes.

Today we've been taking him every half hour unless he's asleep and then immediately after he wakes up. He's had only a couple accidents and did not get a chance to lick at it since we've been being more careful and watching him more closely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts