German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thanks for letting me join. Picking up our 9 week old sable this weekend.
Any tips on how often I should take him out to do his business?
How long after meals or after having a good drink of water?
I work from home so I have a slight advantage on being able to keep an eye on him most of the time.
Our yard isn't completely fenced yet so I will be taking him out on a leash at least until I am certain he won't escape.

Any ideas are welcome on getting him (and me) on a good schedule.
I should also state that my day usually begins between 4:30 - 5:30 am.

Thanks for your advice.
--Scott

·
Super Moderator
5,508 Posts
I’ve always taken mine out every hour. And when they wake up from a nap, and after they eat, and get done playing. Basically you are going out all the time, lol. I know it’s a pain at first, but it’ll pay off if you’ll do it. Don’t give your puppy a chance to go in the house. Don’t expect him to tell you he needs to go out. And don’t let him wander off in the house because if he needs to pee, he’ll go.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Hi Scott, I'm totally with Diane on this one, take him out tons LOL! Puppies at 9 wks don't have a whole lot of control yet, and they aren't going to warn you ahead of time. Keeping an eye on him "most of the time" won't work well initially, it has to be ALL the time. Puppies sniff around when they have to go, so learn your puppy, any schedule will develop as you learn your puppy, they're all different. Good luck, and congrats on the new puppy!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all - quick question about potty training in an apartment...

Should I carry my puppy (~11 wks) to the potty spot or walk her?

The potty spot from my unit is quite far (it's about 3-mins or so... I live on the top floor and the closest potty spot outside is on the other side of the building).

My pup has never had a defecation accident, but has had pee accidents a few times just walking to the potty spot.

I take the pup out every 2-3 hrs and after any event (waking from naps, 30m-1hr after eating).

I'll be moving to a new single family home in 2 weeks, but want to take advantage of the time of her being a puppy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Things seemed to go well for the last couple of days then last night 2 pee accidents and 2 poo accidents this morning and afternoon.
Getting frustrated. I thought about putting him into a crate but I don't like that idea. I may have no choice. The taking him out once an hour thing is not a good option. It rains her in WA state and he seems to be a diva and is constantly wiping his face and running under the eaves of the house to avoid the rain. It's been dry here for a couple of weeks but the last 2 days it has poured off and on. I feel like I can't catch a break. Other than the potty thing, he's a great puppy and has bonded with me and my wife very well. Any other suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
5,508 Posts
I take the pup out every 2-3 hrs and after any event (waking from naps, 30m-1hr after eating).

I’m afraid I’m not much help on the apartment thing, but every 2-3 hours for an 11 week old puppy isn’t often enough. You won’t have accidents if you take the puppy out more frequently.

·
Super Moderator
5,508 Posts
The taking him out once an hour thing is not a good option. It rains her in WA state and he seems to be a diva and is constantly wiping his face and running under the eaves of the house to avoid the rain. It's been dry here for a couple of weeks but the last 2 days it has poured off and on. I feel like I can't catch a break.

I get it, not all puppies like the rain, but he still has to go out. I know it can be a challenge. When my dog Russ was a puppy, my neighborhood (and my house!) was hit by a tornado. I think I had only had him for about 2 weeks when it hit. It rained like crazy off and on, and there was debris everywhere, but he still had to go outside. It was not fun.

Do you go outside with him when it’s raining?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I go out with him every time. I never leave him outside alone as he seems to be a rock eater so I watch him and engage him in play as well. I will be training with him soon with a trainer so I will get some pointers on how to break him of that habit.
Just last night I went out with him after a nap and we played for almost an hour before he went potty (kind of surprising as that's usually the first thing he wants after a long nap). To be fair, he has good days and bad and we've only had him for 4 nights, this is the start of our 5th day with him. I apologize if I seem a little impatient . I know it will come in time. :)

Side note:
Would love to post a picture and maybe make him my avatar. can anyone please share how to do this?

--Scott

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I also have a puppy right now that is being potty trained.

We are also crate training. He's crated at night, beside my bed so I can hear him stir.

We just get his little butt outside every time he wakes up from a nap or every hour during the day.

He's taken out again at midnight. The first week when he was 8 weeks he wanted out again around 3am(ish). Out we went. Kept my shoes & flashlight right by the door. He went potty, good boy, back to his crate.

We still let him out around midnight but he's good until 5am, the time I get up anyway.

He's had a few accidents in the house but all were our fault. All in all he's doing outstanding with potty training.

He's 11 weeks now and finally starting going to the door to wait, showing me his signal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Things seemed to go well for the last couple of days then last night 2 pee accidents and 2 poo accidents this morning and afternoon.
Getting frustrated. I thought about putting him into a crate but I don't like that idea. I may have no choice. The taking him out once an hour thing is not a good option. It rains her in WA state and he seems to be a diva and is constantly wiping his face and running under the eaves of the house to avoid the rain. It's been dry here for a couple of weeks but the last 2 days it has poured off and on. I feel like I can't catch a break. Other than the potty thing, he's a great puppy and has bonded with me and my wife very well. Any other suggestions?

Put your raincoat on and walk the pup away from the house. Stand there and be boring so he doesn't get distracted and want to play. That's not the purpose of this little exercise! As soon as he's in mid-stream or mid-poop give him a verbal cue, like "Hurry, hurry." Praise him, return to the house and repeat. Over and over again for as long as it takes.:wink2:

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
The taking him out once an hour thing is not a good option. It rains her in WA state and he seems to be a diva and is constantly wiping his face and running under the eaves of the house to avoid the rain. It's been dry here for a couple of weeks but the last 2 days it has poured off and on. I feel like I can't catch a break. Other than the potty thing, he's a great puppy and has bonded with me and my wife very well. Any other suggestions?
Train that dog and don't whine about a bit of rain. I live in Western OR so it is crucial to get the dog and yourself used to rain. How old are you or did you move from AZ?It is the first thing I do if it rains after I get a new pup. Going out and have fun playing on puddles. Good luck; time to get some good books on how to work with a pup. I like this one: "the perfect puppy" from Gwen Bailey.
(you may have been better off with a rescue Greyhound; they only need a couch, are super clean, don't require much exercise and genetically hate rain) .

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi all - quick question about potty training in an apartment...

Should I carry my puppy (~11 wks) to the potty spot or walk her?

The potty spot from my unit is quite far (it's about 3-mins or so... I live on the top floor and the closest potty spot outside is on the other side of the building).
My pup has never had a defecation accident, but has had pee accidents a few times just walking to the potty spot.

I'll be moving to a new single family home in 2 weeks, but want to take advantage of the time of her being a puppy.

Yes,I think you should carry her, for as long as you can. Even walking from a crate to the door can be too much for a little bladder. It's great you're establishing good bathroom habits before moving( yay!). If your dog really can't make it that far without an accident I'd give pup the opportunity to use a pee pad placed by the door. Let pup pee on that, and then take it out. It will probably still need to go.

When you go to your new home put a pee pad by the door you'll use to take puppy outside. First, because you may see a slight regression in potty training because of the newness and second, you are training the dog to go to the door to indicate it wants to go out. Once you remove the pad he'll go the the door, look down for the missing pad and then look at you as it to say, "Hey, What gives?" That's your signal. <g>

Good luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's also okay to limit water after 7pm until their bladders grow and get stronger. Some puppies will attack the water bowl like their litter mates are still trying to push them aside.

·
Registered
55 Posts
... I never leave him outside alone as he seems to be a rock eater so I watch him and engage him in play as well. I will be training with him soon with a trainer so I will get some pointers on how to break him of that habit.

--Scott

I just noticed this part of your post. This is a bad habit the needs to be nipped in the bud before it becomes entrenched. Rock eating can lead to a horribly painful death! Now is the time to stop it.

As soon as you see him nosing a rock is the time to stop him. Tell him in a stern voice, "No!" Show him the ball you should have in your hand and throw it.(Actually you should have a pocketful. No better way to teach the retrieve than to have a ready supply of balls!) Next rock, repeat. <G>

If it's during potty time don't play with him. Clap your hands, get his attention, walk away and he'll forget about that rock. Next rock, repeat. If he blows you off, go to the pup and gently lead him away...until he finds the next rock.

Another option is to walk him outside for potty time on leash. That way you're controlling where he can go and hopefully your yard isn't made of gravel. :) During playtime you should have an easier time keeping his focus on you and not the ground where those fascinating rocks lay.

Looking forward to seeing your pup when you get his pic posted!

·
Registered
844 Posts
At that age, you're literally in and out of the house every 30 minutes to an hour and after every meal, playtime, sleep time, etc. Keep a leash on it at all times and tied to you. About the rain....suck it up. If you can, get slip on shoes or flip flops...something really easy and fast to put on. The pup can go while you're tying your shoelaces so I'd avoid those for the time being. Next to your shoes, have jackets ready, (like rain jackets, coats for colder places, etc), flashlight for the night.....in other words have everything ready. It makes it much easier and streamlined for you especially in the middle of the night. When it goes outside, reward it and praise it. Always carry it outside when it wants to go. Don't walk it out. I've had to clean up many mistakes because I walked mine outside. The general rule is...for every month it is alive, that's how long in hours between peeing. So for example if it's 2 months old, it should be able to hold its bladder for 2 hours.

As far as crating is concerned, I was probably just like you: I didn't want anything to do with crates. Big mistake. With my previous GSD and the current pup, the crate was a game changer, not only for potty training but also for my sanity. When I have to go to the bathroom or do something that I can't watch him at all, then in the crate he goes, even if it's for a minute or 2. When I'm done with whatever, out the crate and right back to leashed and tied to me. Now, he's 5 months old, and he loves his crate. He'll go in there to catch some zzz on his own. When I leave the house, in the crate he goes. I'm not stressed that he'll destroy my couch or leave a surprise on my expensive Persian rugs because I know he's in the crate. I highly suggest that you reconsider using the crate. I promise you your life would be so much easier.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts