German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our GSD is only around 9 weeks. We will take her out to use the potty she will not, have electric door put her out Still will not use. The minute she comes back in she will potty on pee pad, if no pad then just the floor. She will do both inside but not outside, not sure what to do here. We took pad up and she just used the floor

·
Registered
902 Posts
Our GSD is only around 9 weeks. We will take her out to use the potty she will not, have electric door put her out Still will not use. The minute she comes back in she will potty on pee pad, if no pad then just the floor. She will do both inside but not outside, not sure what to do here. We took pad up and she just used the floor
If you take her out and she does not potty then crate her when you come back inside and take her back out again in 15-20 minutes. Unfortunately you have taught her to potty inside. One reason I don't use pads is it can be confusing for a puppy, sometimes they can potty inside and sometimes they can't. Also 9 weeks is still quite young and you will need to keep her on a schedule for a while yet and keep on top of her to instill good habits.

I take young puppies out to potty immediately after playing or waking up and 30 minutes after eating or drinking. I don't let them roam around the house unless they have just pottied outside.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree with what Bramble said...you made a mistake with the pee pads.

Watch her closely...you may want to put her on a tether or leash when she is inside the house. If she starts to go to the bathroom in your house, and you're not watching her closely (and immediately picking her up to go outside...mid urine stream), you should try rolling up a newspaper and smacking YOURSELF with it. If you cannot have eyes on her, put her in her crate.

Potty training is all about puppy owners being diligent. If you do these things, your puppy will soon learn.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Agreed with others above. Quit with the puppy pee pads. I also bought a special cleaner form the pet store to clean the pee, it breaks down the urine smell so they don't associate that spot with the toilet. Its very common.

I was shocked by just how often young puppies have to go. If you cannot watch her, crate her. Once she wakes outside for potty. My girl often went up to 3 times in short pees so give her some more time outside. They also get so distracted! They can be peeing and they see something and have to chase it, so she may just not be emptying. I also gave a click and treat every time she went potty outside. My girl only ever did 4 small pees inside, all she got was a NO and lifted outside.

Also exercise (gently play) can really stimulate them to want to potty! Always think mid-play to go outside for potty, all my girls accidents were during play.

Best of luck with your potty training!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not train her on the pads I just got her she was already on them, but yes I told my husband the same thing about leaving her in the crate and taking her out about every hour.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I would move the pee pad outside and once she goes out there get rid of it. She will catch on that she has to go potty outside, they're smart. Others already gave great advise, just be consistent and lots of patience and praise.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I did not train her on the pads I just got her she was already on them, but yes I told my husband the same thing about leaving her in the crate and taking her out about every hour.
Don't worry about the pee pads. I bought a huge bag of them when I got my pup thinking they were great. Luckily I never used them, first one I took out of the bag my girl proceeded to shred so never ended up using them. Glad I didn't use them now. Patience and consistency 🤞

·
Registered
190 Posts
I feel your frustration. Juno did the same thing. I would take her outside, she wouldn't go, then we would come inside and she would pee.

I made a lot of mistakes, trust me on this one. I eventually kept a log of every single pee and poop my girl did for about 2 months, which is how long it took me to figure this out. When I first got her, she was peeing inside the house 5x. Totally my fault. Anyway, we have figured it out. We didn't use pee pads.

I found when she peed in the house, she wouldn't go fully, so then I took her out about 5 minutes afterward. She would not empty her bladder completely. I also missed some of her signs and I didn't keep her tethered to me. I initially didn't use commands, I just expected her to go. Plus it was winter, and she would get distracted by the snow, and I was cold and impatient at 3 am in the morning.

I never punished her for going inside, I knew it was my fault. The log really helped, because it allowed to see exactly when I had taken her out, sometimes as often as every 45 minutes. But I felt like a mad woman, documenting her pee and poop. I think I still have the log around here somewhere as a reminder that I don't know everything LOL!

Here are the things that helped: keeping her tethered to me, the pee log (I know this sounds so weird), training her to go on command, keeping her on a leash while she was going, and just sort of telling myself that this was going to take a while. You probably are doing some of these things already. I thought I got this, it'll take a few days, it took weeks! My observation with Juno also is that she understood toilet training in bursts. She would pee, pee, pee and then one morning, she woke up and she understood and had fewer accidents.

I got her at 11 weeks, she was the runt of her litter and small, she was my first puppy.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
It was hard to get Agis to go outside when we first adopted him - he'd been in the shelter environment enough that the outdoors freaked him out. He would shut down, kinda (that's a bit of an exaggeration, but also not).

How long are you staying outside for? Sometimes it would take Agis 15 minutes+ to pee or poop, but we'd wait him out and he'd go eventually. We're in a building, but have two others so sometimes would take them out together and he could see/smell them going. We also tried to stay in the same spot so he could develop 'his' spot for going. To this day, he has specific parts of our grounds that he prefers to pee on.

·
Registered
508 Posts
You got really good advice in the first few posts above and also Sabis 2 post above.
There's no reason why you pup should ever have more than a few "accidents" or you're not doing it right/dedicated to house training. My current 7 month old was fully house trained in a week and either 2 or 3 accidents, each my fault.

Eyes on the dog/directly interacting with them or crate for the first week or two.

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
Dog wakes up, you go outside and exercise until they go pee.

Dog drinks, wait 20 minutes, you go outside and exercise until they pee.

You're not sure when the last time the dog was outside to pee? You go outside and exercise until they pee.

When in doubt, bored, feeling overweight or just finished a bag of Oreos, you go outside and exercise until they go pee.

Lots of treats and praise and play for going outside in the designated area.

And then you exercise until they go pee.

I walk laps around my house, random recalls with rewards, fetch with older dog, check the forum, actively avoid Facebook, spontaneous OB session, water the garden...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
everyone has given me very good advice and I want to thank you so much. There is no longer a pee pad on the floor and she had a really good day today. She actually came up to me and let me know she wanted to go out, she did this 2 times today and the rest of the time I took her out. She did real good until hubby got home from work. Don't know what happened, but I quickly straightened her out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
everyone has given me very good advice and I want to thank you so much. There is no longer a pee pad on the floor and she had a really good day today. She actually came up to me and let me know she wanted to go out, she did this 2 times today and the rest of the time I took her out. She did real good until hubby got home from work. Don't know what happened, but I quickly straightened her out.
Wonderful news! I remember the first time Biscuit actually indicated to me she wanted to go out. I was so proud. Good luck 🤞

·
Registered
581 Posts
I hope that "straightened her out" doesn't mean punishment. Never punish the puppy for what is your fault.

If I'm misinterpreting that phrase, please ignore!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no I did not punish her I meant I got her back on track with going outside

I hope that "straightened her out" doesn't mean punishment. Never punish the puppy for what is your fault.

If I'm misinterpreting that phrase, please ignore!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts