German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! Sorry this is a bit long.

We adopted a 8.5 week old GSD three days ago, and we're having a bit of a problem with potty training. I have always crate trained my pups including my previous GSD but I have also always had a yard and am now in a ground floor condo w/o one. There is a grassy area we are using for potty training within 20feet of the front door but it is down two small (5step) flights of steps due to the staggered building design.
Pup is handling steps well with encouragement and patience, but I'm concerned about a. The time it takes for her to get down (possibly causing an "accident" halfway down) and the damage it could do to young joints. Also, while she has yet to mess her crate and I am taking her out at 2hour maximum intervals, today she has started crying and pulling on the leash when taken out to the grass. Initially we carried her since we wanted to avoid puddles en route but I am also concerned this will teach her that she will be carried to go potty. She has had a few accidents (3no1, 1no2) since arriving in the house, and not been reprimanded but just rushed to the grass to finish. I'm assuming she sees the house as "safe" and thus prefers to eliminate there? She goes potty well if she's desperate outside, but sometimes will wait to try and go indoors. Unfortunately the outside grass is open to the street so I cannot have her off the leash which I know may be another deterrent.

Of course I'm well aware patience is key, I just wanted to know if people recommend walking her down the stairs and chancing accidents, or carrying her from crate/house to potty area which eliminates this possibility. Either way she still cries and tries to run back to the house.

Big thanks for any possible advice!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
98 Posts
We have our dog upstairs w/ us and she has to go down stairs to pee. We carried her down the first few weeks because she was way to small to handle stairs and if we didn't pick her up she would pee the minute out of crate. Now she understands and holds it. We tell her lets go pee pee and she heads for the stairs. We always said lets go pee pee when we would take her out of the crate. We did not want to risk her falling down the stairs. I know the recommendation is not to carry them where you want them to go, but for us our wood stairs was way to dangerous for a young pup. Now she is great goes down the stairs and pees once outside.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I live on the 2nd floor and carried my pup down stairs until I couldn't hold her anymore because she was too big. She still learned that she needed to pee outdoors and had barely any accidents. I would just carry your pup! I would scoop mine out of her crate and immediately pick her up, bring her to the back door, poke her bell with her nose and then open the door, carry her down, plop her in the grass. Since it's a communal yard she has never peed off leash, and it didn't affect her at all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys! We stuck to carrying her to potty again now, and the fussing/whining stopped as soon as we stopped trying to take her on foot/paw to the potty area. We're making sure that's her only 'carry-time' and that all four paws are on the ground at other times!
She's an absolute gem so far really, I'm not fussed by the few accidents, they're all our timing problem, not hers! And she's fantastic with the crate and leash. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Carry her down for a little while. It shouldn't cause a problem. The only reason I don't carry my guy outside anymore, even though we have a pathetic excuse for a yard, is because he's 14 weeks and 20lbs and I have a bad back. My guy gets picked up regularly because we don't want him to be difficult should he ever need to be picked up for any reason as he gets older. He does NOT like being picked up or held but he deals and gets better as time goes on. He'd much rather be all four on the floor into something.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Huh, interesting. I've never had a problem with my other dogs (GSD or otherwise) who were rarely carried as pups when they needed lifting (eg onto a vets table). This little girl would quite happily live her life being carried! Good point though :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
After my post yesterday... Horrific pee accident at 4:30am. I didn't wake up. We traveled yesterday so schedule was a bit crazy. She peed in her crate and I made the mistake of opening the gate and she ran out and puppy pee went everywhere. She was pee prancing. I should have picked her up and carried her downstairs. Instead I tried to clean everywhere she stepped at 4:30 in the am. Took me 1/2 hr to clean up, and I didn't do a great job. Just when I think we have made it through house breaking a new event. Lol but always my fault :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sorry, I know it must have been frustrating and not at all funny at 0430 but "pee dancing" is hilarious! Gotta remember that one.

So far of Nova's accidents, two were in the first day in the kitchen as her crate was delayed delivery and I hadn't got her outside fast enough. One was very much my own stupidity since she was circling and I thought she was sniffing after the cats (she does nose to ground tracking all over the apartment since our cats lived here long before she did)

It's all patience and scheduling on my and my hubs' part anyhow. Baby steps!
Hoping to avoid any incidents of pee-dancing! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just keep carrying her down the steps until she can handle them on her own. Once she can run down those steps I highly doubt that she will wait for you to carry her. Good luck with your pup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts