German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
About an hour for every month....meaning 2 months old = 2 hours in between. Some pups can do longer, some shorter. However, when it's young and housebreaking, in addition to that "rule" you need to take it out every time it wakes up from a nap/sleep, after play, after eating, after it makes a mistake...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does that rule apply when the puppy is sleeping at night, or does the puppy being asleep change it? When can you reasonably expect a pup to hold it through the night?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Does that rule apply when the puppy is sleeping at night, or does the puppy being asleep change it? When can you reasonably expect a pup to hold it through the night?
4 months for us, but it was a near thing and we had to hustle in the morning to get him down the stairs. At that age, though, he was actively trying to hold it and trying to let us know that he had to go. 5 months was pretty much guaranteed through the night.

·
Registered
708 Posts
In the beginning I’d get up twice a night and early in the morning to let my pup out, he had very few accidents inside the house as a result. He had to spend six hours in the crate while I worked, but that couldn’t be helped. I would recommend always physically picking them up to take them out so they aren’t tempted (you ever try moving too much when you -really- have to pee? Lol) to let loose before making it out the door. I was getting up maybe once a night by 4-5 months to take him out with no accidents inside at any time as he knew by then how to tell me he needed to go out.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I live pretty far out and my Doberman wouldn’t let anyone in the house if nobody was home, and I think it’s a little sketchy having strangers go in your house alone imo. He was ten weeks so not quite eight weeks but he just had to hold it til I could get home, I did get off early at every opportunity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts