German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...I was at training last night with my 4.5mo old and I have been using puppy pads while at work. I was told by the trainer that the pads need to be removed and that my pup should be able to hold it all day.....really? He has held it for 8 hours during the night....once. Right now he has a kennel and play pen...but the more active he is the more he'll have to go. Do I need to remove the play pen and start to kennel him only?

And yes, I know the obvious is to hire a dog walker. However, I am wondering what the average joe who works does with thier puppy. Please no hate messages telling me I dont have time for my dog. As soon as I get home, it's all about him. But I do have to pay the bills.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh...and I think I need to add...that when I am home, he goes outside, no problems. and he even has free roam of the house at night. He just goes in his play pen and pees on the pad if he has too. But I am concerned that trying to make him hold it for 9hours is too much, right now.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Could be to long sometimes but sometimes it might be ok. You have him kenneled @ night so in the am he gets let out and goes crazy plus he gets fed and drinks. Now we put him in his cage and we want him to hold himself. I see this being best if someone could let him out just 1 time around noon-ish would solve your issue.

·
Registered
396 Posts
As a general rule of thumb, I use this formula for how long I expect my pup to 'hold it' for: Age in months + 2. If your pup is 5 months old, I wouldnt push it past 7 hours. A 2 month old puppy can 'hold it' for up to 4 hours.

Disclaimer: Yes, it may be off the wall ... it's not written in stone. Just an approximation to go by. All puppies differ, and it depends on when you feed them, and water them, and exercise them, etc ... just something I've always gone by. :)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
while I don't want my puppies peeing on the floor(obviously), I also don't want them used to using those puppy pads either..I think it gives them the idea is "ok" to pee on the floor vs going outside.

I'm not really sure a 4.5 month can hold it all day long,,I tend to let my young puppies (if I have one) out ALOT, as they get a little older, 4 hours is usually about the longest they would go during the day, (for whatever reason day/night is different, a pup that can hold it all night, may not hold it all day)

I would start some crate training. I don't know what your schedule is like, but maybe a neighbor or family member could let puppy out once during the day while your working??

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I made the decision to pack up the play pen and give it a try. I am fully expecting that I will come home to a mess tomorrow. Unfortunatly, my family all works hours like myself and I work too far from home to be able to make it at lunch. I live on a dirt road and my neighbor I trust about as far as I can throw him. I have thought about doing daycare again, but it was a strain on the pocketbook....especially since I had some rather pricey medical bills arrive just in time for Christmas, etc.
I really do love my boy and want the best for him. I take him everywhere with me from family, to friends to the store. However, I can not take him to work with me, as much as I would love too. Please, just wish me the best. I know I cant be the first and definitly wont be the last to face this issue.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Goodluck!! It is hard I'm sure when your gone during the day, but I agree, get rid of the pads!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
find someone to come to your house to let the
pup out.

Well, I made the decision to pack up the play pen and give it a try. I am fully expecting that I will come home to a mess tomorrow. Unfortunatly, my family all works hours like myself and I work too far from home to be able to make it at lunch. I live on a dirt road and my neighbor I trust about as far as I can throw him. I have thought about doing daycare again, but it was a strain on the pocketbook....especially since I had some rather pricey medical bills arrive just in time for Christmas, etc.
I really do love my boy and want the best for him. I take him everywhere with me from family, to friends to the store. However, I can not take him to work with me, as much as I would love too. Please, just wish me the best. I know I cant be the first and definitly wont be the last to face this issue.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I used to come home for lunch to let Angeles out when a puppy - it may not be an option for you. But would recommend someone let him out. All day is a very long time for a developing puppy to hold it. And leaving him out of the crate - I hope you have a sofa left!

·
Registered
682 Posts
I used to come home for lunch to let Angeles out when a puppy - it may not be an option for you. But would recommend someone let him out. All day is a very long time for a developing puppy to hold it. And leaving him out of the crate - I hope you have a sofa left!

Yes a 4.5 month old pup def should not be left to have free roam, I would almost rather it pee in the crate......she WILL get into something she's not supposed to it's not a matter of will she it's a matter of when will she chew something bad and get sick or even worse.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want to give an update. I normally leave him to roam the house at night and have not had any issues. Last night as a test, I put him in the kennel at midnight when I went to bed. He woke me at 3 to go out. He went pee and then I let him on the bed with me.

In the AM I got up, got ready, while I let him out to pee and eat. We went for a walk, he pee'd and pooped. I put him in his kennel with a couple treats and a bowl with a few ice cubes and some music. I left for work and just knew I would come home to a mess. To my surprise, no pee and no poop in the kennel.

Aspen has been an awesome dog. He does not chew on furniture or any of my posessions. I have been VERY lucky. I have faith in leaving him roam the house at night and for about 2 hours without me home and everything will be OK. Right now I have my Christmas tree uo without furniture to see what he would do. All he has done is sniff and hasnt paid it any mind since.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts