German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My guy is now 4.5 months old. He was doing great with potty training until about 2 weeks ago. We started seeing trails of pee in the house, and I was worried about a possible infection, but after a few times, we realized he’s doing it when he’s near our 2 year old male dog. He’ll get excited and jump around him and pee, and if the other dog is in his crate, he’ll go pee near it. Is this a dominant thing? Territorial? Bladder control with excitement? (He does do the excited pee when I pick him up from daycare). Worth taking him to the vet? It seems to be behavioral. The other dog isn’t too into playing with Jagger. He mostly growls when Jagger comes near him, snarls, and is constantly growling and snapping if they are playing with a rope or something. So for now, just wondering if I should take him in to make sure he doesn’t have an infection, keep them separated, ask his trainer when we start up his next class in a couple weeks? I’m hoping it’s something he grows out of soon if it’s normal puppy behavior. Thanks for any advice!

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
Could be excitement... and/or submissive urination after seeing how you describe the older males behavior.

I would not think you’d need to take him to the vet if these are the only instances you’re seeing it happen.

Since you already have a trainer lined up, I’d consult with them.

The bigger question however, do you have a plan to manage these boys if they do not get along in adulthood. Things sound as if they could be trending in that direction based on your older dogs response - I would not rely on your puppy remaining submissive.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Could be excitement... and/or submissive urination after seeing how you describe the older males behavior.

I would not think you’d need to take him to the vet if these are the only instances you’re seeing it happen.

Since you already have a trainer lined up, I’d consult with them.

The bigger question however, do you have a plan to manage these boys if they do not get along in adulthood. Things sound as if they could be trending in that direction based on your older dogs response - I would not rely on your puppy remaining submissive.
I think that by your discription it’s submissive peeing

1 - 3 of 3 Posts