German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not this past weekend, but the weekend before, I got Shiloh a knucklebone to gnaw on. She made pretty quick work of the bone over that weekend.

A couple days later, I noticed her stool was very dry and crumbly. Quick searching showed this was normal from eating a lot of bone. Shortly after that, she starting having difficulty passing stool, and wasn't really squatting. I took away all bones, and started mixing can food to her regular dry food diet.

Starting this past Friday, she starting to whine/cry when passing a stool, and still not fully squatting. I started mixing water and pumpkin into her food. Saturday morning, same thing, so I brought her to the Vet. The Vet could not find anything; she suggested antibiotics, but didn't think it was very necessary, so I passed on it.

I continued the pumpkin & can food with water diet through the weekend until I ran out, and we're back on her regular dry food diet now.

She is still not squatting fully and still in pain when passing a stool. I don't know what to do from here. She does not otherwise seem to be in any pain or discomfort, and her activity seems normal.

Help! :confused:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Is it possible that a piece of bone has scratched the inside of her anus and become infected? Perhaps there's a little piece stuck in there? I'm sorry if what you meant by the "vet couldnt find anything" that he checked for this, I'm just trying to think of ideas.
Hope she feels better when she potties, that's gotta hurt :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it possible that a piece of bone has scratched the inside of her anus and become infected? Perhaps there's a little piece stuck in there? I'm sorry if what you meant by the "vet couldnt find anything" that he checked for this, I'm just trying to think of ideas.
Hope she feels better when she potties, that's gotta hurt :(
She did a rectal exam, and didn't feel any abnormalities, obstructions, or blood.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts