German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

We got our new GSD pup, Gunner, on Sunday this week. It has been a long time since we've had a puppy. We have 3 other dogs- one German Shepherd male (8 years old- got him as a rowdy 1 yr from my Uncle who could deal with him) and two chihuahua mixes (both rescued as adults).

Gunner is doing great in his crate. He does not potty in his crate at all from day one. However he does go in the house. I have all tile in my house and it is easy enough to clean, but I would rather he learn to potty outside.

About 10 Years ago when we first moved to this house we had a puppy chihuahua given to us and he ended up with Parvo and died very quickly. So I know that the Parvo virus is in the soil- at least then.

Gunner has had 2 rounds of vaccinations parvo/ distemper. Will this provide him any protection? Can I take him outside to start house breaking him or do you think I should just let him go in the house until he is fully vaccinated?

·
Registered
382 Posts
If he has 2 round of parvo, your not 100% clear but you are all round 80%, at least that what my vet said. Luna was in the same spot you are and she did fine going potty outside. Have her go to spot and keep going to that one spot, if it is a safe spot I would say your good to go.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I would not allow the dog to continue to go in the house. That will completely disrupt the house training and make it way harder than it needs to be later on. I have always taken my puppies outside from the beginning, and I haven't had any dogs get really sick from it. I do understand your concern though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gunner is 10 weeks old. I have redone the flooring in my house with puppy pads! haha. Today he went twice on the pads. I am just so very afraid of Parvo. The puppy that died - Shishu (name)- died so quickly and it was awful. I don't want to risk that happening with Gunner. Parvo is very prevalent in this area. I don't know how many dogs around this area are vaccinated. Not many most likely.

Maybe I am just paranoid... btw would my other dogs going out and coming inside also bring in the virus? Ugh..why does Parvo exist? and heartworms, and fleas/ ticks? So many things trying to "get" the dog.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Yea, I'm also a little nervous about the thought of your puppy going potty in the house...
even it is on the pads! He may get too comfortable with that idea!

Is there no way you could just put pads on your doorstep, or on your porch, deck, or in garage?
Just the act of going through a door and going outside the house would be a good idea to get into him. :)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Yes, your other dogs can bring things into the house, so if there really is a lot going on out there, you won't be super safe anyway. You can actually bring things in on your shoes!

·
Registered
62 Posts
when i got maggie her 1st shot was a temp puppy shot so she could go outside. i took her to be vet checked within 3 hrs of picking her up. Parvo was not really a risk factor in my yard at least. the front porch or back maybe
per the vet parvo lives 6months to a year outside.

·
Registered
10,016 Posts
I think you are way overly concerned. I have always taken the pups out from day 3 or 4. Use common sense and avoid the crowded dog areas and do not let him sniff dog urine or feces. Ditch the puppy pads, that wil be a problem once he starts defecating as a 6 month old, eek!. Now you are teaching him to poop and pee inside. Take that pup out in the world while he is in his sensitive time frame of imprinting on the world or else you possibly end up with a nervous dog. There is a good thread on this if you go the search button

1 - 9 of 9 Posts