German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I've had my GSD for 3 years now. He is police trained, so crazy smart and potty trained. He has issues which has us giving him prednisone, which make his stomach super sensitive. Every once in a while he gets an upset stomach and he has an accident in the house, always in the same area. Unfortunately it happens at night or while we are away. When we are home he lets us know he wants to go outside. Recently he's been peeing inside the house as well, and most of the time he has a pooping accident, it's not an upset stomach. Anyway, I'd like suggestions on how to stop this behavior. It happens at really random times too...most nights and most times we are out of the house he won't go in the house.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Are you sure there isn't a medical problem? Like a UTI? I would look into that more deeply. A well trained adult dog that was perviously potty trained should not just randomly start going in the house.

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
Is he still taking the prednisone?

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
If he’s still on the prednisone, he’ll be thirsty and drink more, then pee more.

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
yes...he's still taking the prednisone. His vet wants him to take it for life. 5mg every other day :(

Then he’s going to drink more water, and have to go out more frequently. Is he eating more than usual too? It can also make them hungry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then he’s going to drink more water, and have to go out more frequently. Is he eating more than usual too? It can also make them hungry.
He's been on prednisone the whole time we've had him. so that part is nothing new. He gets a nightly walk around 9ish, but I guess I could always just make him go again right before I go to bed? which is usually around 10pm.

·
Registered
16,066 Posts
He's been on prednisone the whole time we've had him. so that part is nothing new. He gets a nightly walk around 9ish, but I guess I could always just make him go again right before I go to bed? which is usually around 10pm.

Well, yes, take him out again before you go to bed. That should help a great deal. And confine him at night and when you leave. That may help break the cycle of relieving himself inside.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts