German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...Has this happened to anyone else? I am sure it has. Aspen is 4.5 mo old and is housetrained. He didnt wake me to go potties this morning as he usually does. I woke up to hearing the "faucet" running on my bedroom floor. I got him to stop, took him out to finish. That was at 3am...usually wakes me between 4 or 5. He did pee and poop and we came in. Then again at 5:40 I hear the "faucet" again!

He hasnt pee'd in the house since he was 10 weeks old. His water ended at 9 and last pee was at 11. He is able to go a whole workday without peeing in his crate. So why would he pee on my floor twice in 1 night???

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I can recommend 1 thing that most owners neglect to do once they believe their 4-5-6 month old puppies are potty trained and that is praising and rewarding them when they do it right. Owners don't make such a big fuss about pottying outside because they think their baby has it down pat well guess again. Continue to reinforce good behavior and understand that puppies can regress and it's our fault not the puppies.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, the diet hasnt changed. I think I figured out the issue. After the 2nd round of peeing on the floor. I noticed that my toilet seat was not down. He could have gotten water from there...and probably did. I have him gated into my bedroom at night where he has access to my bathroom (master), closet and bedroom. I just cant figure out why he didnt whine to get me up like usual. I know they can regress...and I guess I will chalk this up to that instance.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
He whines because he doesn't want to pee where he sleeps but hey over there looks like a good spot. Nice that you figured it out but continue to praise him even when he whines let him know you approve that behavior and then really potty training him will be easier.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Setting aside any health issues that can cause his urgent need to pee - he could have come to you during the night and although not being vocal, could have asked you to go outside.

When Hondo needs to go out during the night he just sticks his head up on the bed and places his face next to mine. He rarely says a thing, just breaths on me until I wake up. As soon as I do, he'll become vocal.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Setting aside any health issues that can cause his urgent need to pee - he could have come to you during the night and although not being vocal, could have asked you to go outside.

When Hondo needs to go out during the night he just sticks his head up on the bed and places his face next to mine. He rarely says a thing, just breaths on me until I wake up. As soon as I do, he'll become vocal.
That's borderline creepy. :wild:

But I agree, he could have tried to tell you, silently, but you were sleeping and didn't notice.

Sinister will stare at me or put his paw on my lap and as soon as I say "Do you need to go out" he starts talking and backing up while his tail and body are shaking back and forth, kinda like a happy dance.

·
5,627 Posts

One of my fosters would signal that he had to go out to potty by going to the back door. Not such a useful signal when I am sleeping!

Hopefully he was just sneaking sips from the toilet and that's why he had to go. Keep the lid closed (or the door shut) and you should be ok.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts