German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...

We are having quite the time potty training Abi. She has absolutely no alert when it comes to potty time. We are trying to stick to a potty schedule; once an hour without fail. We also go outside after every good play session when she's excited and immediately after naps and before/after kenneling.

She has had a ton of accidents. There is no warning; no sniffing, whining, digging, barking, going to the "potty" door, running in circles...nothing. I took her outside this morning where she peed and pooped. We stayed outside for another five minutes, walking around, making sure she had enough time to pee with absolutely no play. I came inside where she was standing right next to me and she squatted down to pee. I picked her up, took her outside, did the five minute thing again, came back in, and not five minutes later while chewing on a toy she squatted to pee again.

I have her leashed to me and we're following all the rules of potty training, but I've never had a dog that didn't at least whimper when they had to go. I know I shouldn't compare dogs, but Finn never had this hard of a time potty training. She's picking up basic commands; sit and come came pretty quick, but this peeing/pooping thing is just wild. Even the people at the clinic where she stayed for five weeks said she never made a peep to be let out of her kennel and they pottied her every hour, but they would come back to check on her and she would've pottied.

I definately don't want to use pee pads, but we've tried a pee stake in the yard with no success; she doesn't even sniff it. She doesn't even pee ontop of where Finn has gone. I'm just looking for ideas to make potty training go a bit smoother.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
take her out more often. my dog started signaling to go
when he was 4 months. before that i took him out often,
after and during activities.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We were down to every twenty minutes and she was still having accidents. With all the activity, we're taking her out every thirty minutes and she also goes out within ten minutes of drinking water. She is also a 'poop hoarder'. She poops once in the morning and once just before bed...and there's over twelve hours between the two. She has more accidents closer to bed as well. The last three hours before bed, I'm outside every ten minutes or so and yet, she still has accidents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts