German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,663 Posts
I would start with a good trainer. If you find a good balanced trainer who has successfully worked with GSDs (get references) they can help you make this decision. You don't want to make a decision based on emotion, which can run high after a biting and lunging incident, especially involving kids.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would start with a good trainer. If you find a good balanced trainer who has successfully worked with GSDs (get references) they can help you make this decision. You don't want to make a decision based on emotion, which can run high after a biting and lunging incident, especially involving kids.
thanks for the reply we have tried training, spent thousands of dollars. Problem is we don’t trust him. Once the trust is gone it’s tough.

·
Premium Member
11,471 Posts
Is he a well bred dog from a reputable breeder? Have you contacted the breeder for advice and assistance? Is he unpredictable in other situations??? Perhaps someone experienced will have contacts for a real work type situation for him where he is limited in opportunities to show this behavior.

Not enough info to suggest whether to PTS or if rehoming is an option. Had a friend/client who imported a pup who had a near similar history - broker rehomed the pup quickly and he was fine in different situation where he was not given that same type of opportunity.

Lee

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is he a well bred dog from a reputable breeder? Have you contacted the breeder for advice and assistance? Is he unpredictable in other situations??? Perhaps someone experienced will have contacts for a real work type situation for him where he is limited in opportunities to show this behavior.

Not enough info to suggest whether to PTS or if rehoming is an option. Had a friend/client who imported a pup who had a near similar history - broker rehomed the pup quickly and he was fine in different situation where he was not given that same type of opportunity.

Lee
Thanks Lee.. unfortunately he is from a puppy mill, not a breeder. We found this out about a month after we got him. I think he would be ok living with a single person who had a lot of land so he can run.

·
Registered
33,049 Posts
I'm always curious why people think a dog with a bite history needs land to run free on? I don't think that's ever a viable option.

Nobody here knows what happened with the bites so nobody here can give you advise on euthanizing this dog. It would be unethical to do so.

You need to contact a GOOD trainer like Erich Grasso, Ronnie Burmer (if he's ever in the New England area anymore), etc, people who truly understand the dogs and temperaments and nerve, to evauluate this dog in person. You said you've spent thousands trying to train him. Who was that trainer? What was the training methods? What is the pedigree behind this dog (could be a clue on temperament in that)? Just because he was from a puppy mill doesn't mean they didn't get their hands on stable dogs that are just not easy dogs.

What area in Mass are you from and how far are you willing to travel to get this dog properly evaluated?

·
Administrator
10,058 Posts
OP i’ve updated your header to better reflect the current conversation. Once you’ve had this dog properly evaluated, deemed safe and are ready to provide more info - Feel free to post in the Non urgent rescue section. There are pinned threads at the top to review the guidelines.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm always curious why people think a dog with a bite history needs land to run free on? I don't think that's ever a viable option.

Nobody here knows what happened with the bites so nobody here can give you advise on euthanizing this dog. It would be unethical to do so.

You need to contact a GOOD trainer like Erich Grasso, Ronnie Burmer (if he's ever in the New England area anymore), etc, people who truly understand the dogs and temperaments and nerve, to evauluate this dog in person. You said you've spent thousands trying to train him. Who was that trainer? What was the training methods? What is the pedigree behind this dog (could be a clue on temperament in that)? Just because he was from a puppy mill doesn't mean they didn't get their hands on stable dogs that are just not easy dogs.

What area in Mass are you from and how far are you willing to travel to get this dog properly evaluated?
thanks for the reply. The trust is broken between us and the dog, that can never be repaired.

I was hoping someone might want him and be willing to work with him. But I do know that’s asking a lot with a bite history.

·
Registered
33,049 Posts
thanks for the reply. The trust is broken between us and the dog, that can never be repaired.

I was hoping someone might want him and be willing to work with him. But I do know that’s asking a lot with a bite history.
Then have him properly evaluated by a person who works with working dogs. Again - nobody here can ethically advise you on what to do nor should anyone here take this dog based on this post. If you can answer the questions I asked, perhaps someone can steer you in the direction you need to start this process.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Then have him properly evaluated by a person who works with working dogs. Again - nobody here can ethically advise you on what to do nor should anyone here take this dog based on this post. If you can answer the questions I asked, perhaps someone can steer you in the direction you need to start this process.
Ok thank you. That is great advice.

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
hi I have a healthy male 3 year old gsd in Massachusetts. Unfortunately he has bitten my son back in January and then last week he lunged at him, he didn’t bite him this time but did lunge and growl. Is there any hope in rehoming him with a bite history? Or is euthanizing him my only option?
Thanks
I know this is after the fact, but were you there when he actually bit your son? Can you describe the event? How old is your son? Growling is a warning and shows bite inhibition at that very moment. When you mention 'lunging'; was he on leash or crated? I do know that dogs don't forget their bite but it doesn't mean he needs to be put down at this moment so thank you for reaching out here. I don't think any rescue will take him with a bite history. I hope you can find him another home through trainers or this forum. In the meantime keep him separated from your child. Has he shown any growling, lunging to you or anyone else besides to your son? Do you have other children in the home? I hope you realize that he is just an animal who reacted from instincts based on the situation, back ground and genetics. Manage him wisely to protect him from harming anyone else. If that is possible, hopefully you can take some time to find the best home for him. He still needs his exercise and playtime as long that is safe for you.

·
Registered
Eska von den Roten Vorbergen
3,860 Posts
How serious was the bite? I had a dog that would bite children that tried to hug her, but it was always a warning, and only left a red mark on the skin. Needless to say, we kept her well away from children, or supervised VERY carefully if they wanted to pet her, and never had a serious incident with her.

She would also growl, then snap if she felt strangers were invading her den space, which included the car as well as the house.

So, circumstances of the bite (if you can tell us) are important to know.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
something you didn't address - how is your son's behavior towards the dog? Does he tease the dog? Did he hit the dog? Did he pull the dog' tail? Take the dog's toys? Biting is defensive.

It sounds like the problem is between the dog and your son. I would contact your local shelter and explain the situation. They will try to find your dog a home without children. You do not have to destroy the dog, just find him an appropriate home. Having shelter dogs I am of the opinion that people are way too quick to blame the dog and destroy it to solve a problem, sometimes just removing the dog from the situation is all that is necessary. Please recognize that a dog is a life, not a broken toy. And do not get another dog until your child is old enough to care for it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
something you didn't address - how is your son's behavior towards the dog? Does he tease the dog? Did he hit the dog? Did he pull the dog' tail? Take the dog's toys? Biting is defensive.

It sounds like the problem is between the dog and your son. I would contact your local shelter and explain the situation. They will try to find your dog a home without children. You do not have to destroy the dog, just find him an appropriate home. Having shelter dogs I am of the opinion that people are way too quick to blame the dog and destroy it to solve a problem, sometimes just removing the dog from the situation is all that is necessary. Please recognize that a dog is a life, not a broken toy. And do not get another dog until your child is old enough to care for it.
Thanks. I’m hoping to find a home for him.

·
Super Moderator
1,632 Posts
Have you had this dog from a puppy? What led up to the bite and this most recent event?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you had this dog from a puppy? What led up to the bite and this most recent event?
Yes.. he was resource guarding a bone, we didn’t know he had it. The most recent event was not resource guarding, my son leaned over his crate to say hi and he lunged out at his legs..

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
Never leave a dog with resources in the presence of a kid. That probably led to his suspicion of the child when leaning over (challenging for a dog) the crate, which means he was/felt cornered. All and all it seems like a nervous dog in the wrong situation and an inexperienced home. No blame but a combination of circumstances. The dog's life is on the line. Hope someone scoops him up quickly

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Never leave a dog with resources in the presence of a kid. That probably led to his suspicion of the child when leaning over (challenging for a dog) the crate, which means he was/felt cornered. All and all it seems like a nervous dog in the wrong situation and an inexperienced home. No blame but a combination of circumstances. The dog's life is on the line. Hope someone scoops him up quickly
Yes exactly… you are right on… I am hoping there is someone out there for him, it breaks my heart to have to put him down…

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yes exactly… you are right on… I am hoping there is someone out there for him, it breaks my heart to have to put him down…
I think you should reach out to the trainers @Jax08 suggested and get their evaluation. They may be able to connect you with someone who would be willing and able to take the dog into their home. The situation you’ve described doesn’t sound like a dog that needs to be put down so much as a dog that needs the right home. I understand where you’re coming from about the broken trust and if you’re honest about why you’re rehoming him, I think you could find a good place for him. It will probably take time. Best of luck to you.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.