German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am about to get a german shepherd but Im not too familiar with them, a friend of mine told me he had 3 females for adoption and he said that he only knows that the parents were pure breed but he has no papers on that he sent me a couple of pictures but im unsure if they are pure or not and maybe you guys could help.

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
If you are not that familiar with the breed, I would be less concerned about whether the puppies are pure and more concerned whether this breed is a suitable match for you and your lifestyle.

If you do a search on here, you will find many threads about whether a German Shepherd is right for somebody or not.

Dogs are not the blank slates that rescues and shelters would have you believe. Breed matters. Behavior is very much genetic and this breed is supposed to have a modicum of aggression.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are not that familiar with the breed, I would be less concerned about whether the puppies are pure and more concerned whether this breed is a suitable match for you and your lifestyle.

If you do a search on here, you will find many threads about whether a German Shepherd is right for somebody or not.

Dogs are not the blank slates that rescues and shelters would have you believe. Breed matters. Behavior is very much genetic and this breed is supposed to have a modicum of aggression.
Its more of a thing I want to know rather than just knowing if I would get it or not for that reason, I had a Labrador and I liked it but it was very intense and hyper, I also had a bull terrier but he was over aggressive and had to give it to a friend but I have seen my friends German and it feels like he is a better fit for what I like, I do have time to spare and I go for jogs everyday by my own, we currently dont have any other pet at home so he would be alone.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Hello and WELCOME Humbertor! :greet:

Its more of a thing I want to know rather than just knowing if I would get it or not for that reason, ...you'll need to be equipped with a box of bandages....for the "Land Shark" months the pup will be trying to bite you and your family...even drawing blood.....
and wear old clothes during that phase because they will most likely hang on to your pant leg or shirt sleeve and rip it!
I've had 5 GSD's...all different breedings..... and they ALL did this. :wink2:

I had a Labrador and I liked it but it was very intense and hyper,(yes, possible) I also had a bull terrier but he was over aggressive (this is always a possibility with this breed)
Not a breed you can "get & forget" (about training).

Takes work, but SO worth it in the end!

Good luck with your decision.
Moms :)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I wouldn't just get a GSD on a whim, be prepared for at least a year of taking the dog to classes and training. And they grow up incredibly fast, that cute little puppy in a matter of months will be a force to be reckoned with, and if not trained properly could become aggressive and out of control.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi everyone, I am about to get a german shepherd but Im not too familiar with them, a friend of mine told me he had 3 females for adoption and he said that he only knows that the parents were pure breed but he has no papers on that he sent me a couple of pictures but im unsure if they are pure or not and maybe you guys could help.

Thank you
If you are going on someones word alone you may have some mix in there. Very common... Although, i will say if you are getting one for free or under 2 grand then you are receiving a gift if they are pure bred. Pure bred shepherds can be expensive from a breeder..

Next as a new owner myself the only mistake I made was feeding the young puppy yummy table scraps. It may seem like a good idea at the time because you want them to grow big but what happens is the puppy becomes extremely picky and will only eat table scraps. Its 100% psychological. Wait until they are fully grown at least before giving them a piece of steak. Also a feeding schedule is better then free feed. This advice was given to me but ignored and i wished i followed it. Feed the dog twice a day at the same time. Or 3 or 4 if you can spare the time. But always feed at the same time and measure the food out so it doesn't get fat. Once its eating regular and isn't picky about it give it healthy treats. GSD's have sensitive stomachs. If they get any human food they will start itching and have digestive issues. It isn't worth it.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I would be more concerned that this is the right breed for you. If you had a intense Lab, then that's just the mid level of a GSD. Puppies will be very hyper and as already said, are very mouthy, little land sharks for several months. It would require lots of training and socialization during the first year. You will not be able to take it jogging until at a bare minimum at least a year and preferably a year and a half old. You do not want to injure their joints and especially the hips and elbows from repetitive pounding that jogging will bring. The pups are Sables, which are more likely working lines.
I would want to know that the parents have official OFA Hips and Elbows, and DM testing results as a bare minimum, even if given to you for free. You do not want to end up with a dog with health issues down the road. Those issues can get very expensive very quickly.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
If you are going on someones word alone you may have some mix in there. Very common... Although, i will say if you are getting one for free or under 2 grand then you are receiving a gift if they are pure bred. Pure bred shepherds can be expensive from a breeder..

Next as a new owner myself the only mistake I made was feeding the young puppy yummy table scraps. It may seem like a good idea at the time because you want them to grow big but what happens is the puppy becomes extremely picky and will only eat table scraps. Its 100% psychological. Wait until they are fully grown at least before giving them a piece of steak. Also a feeding schedule is better then free feed. This advice was given to me but ignored and i wished i followed it. Feed the dog twice a day at the same time. Or 3 or 4 if you can spare the time. But always feed at the same time and measure the food out so it doesn't get fat. Once its eating regular and isn't picky about it give it healthy treats. GSD's have sensitive stomachs. If they get any human food they will start itching and have digestive issues. It isn't worth it.
I don't agree with a lot of this. "Wait until they're full grown to give them a piece of steak" ? If you practice NILIF giving a puppy a piece of steak won't ruin them. I've always given my dogs leftover table scraps and they have loved their kibble and raw food just as much, I've never had a picky dog. Leftovers can be very healthy for a dog as well, what do you think dogs ate before kibble was invented? A piece of fish skin, or some leftover steak won't hurt most dogs ! I think coddling and spoiling the dog letting him choose what he wants to eat is your problem. Not ALL shepherds will have digestive issues and skin problems if they have human food either (although many do!), I had one GSD who could eat anything from pizza goldfish to poptarts and have no issues. Not that I fed him those things, my little nephew liked to throw his food on the floor and tell the dog to eat it.

·
Super Moderator
2,526 Posts
Don't forget to ask about digestive health and longevity of the dogs in the lines. Are the grandparents of the litter still alive? If not, how old were they when they passed?

While it's true that there are many German Shepherds with digestive health problems, I do not think people who love this breed should accept it as "normal" in any way, shape, or form. It's very alarming to me that many GSDs have to eat limited diets of specific novel proteins, and/or require piles of supplements to have a balanced GI system, and there are a number that cannot eat any sort of conventional dry food. Ask lots of questions. This is not something we should accept as "that's just how the breed is"....

If you browse some threads on this forum, you're going to see that there is a giant spectrum of different types of German Shepherd. You'll also find many threads about people losing their GSDs too young, to different types of illness. Ask lots of questions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't agree with a lot of this. "Wait until they're full grown to give them a piece of steak" ? If you practice NILIF giving a puppy a piece of steak won't ruin them. I've always given my dogs leftover table scraps and they have loved their kibble and raw food just as much, I've never had a picky dog. Leftovers can be very healthy for a dog as well, what do you think dogs ate before kibble was invented? A piece of fish skin, or some leftover steak won't hurt most dogs ! I think coddling and spoiling the dog letting him choose what he wants to eat is your problem. Not ALL shepherds will have digestive issues and skin problems if they have human food either (although many do!), I had one GSD who could eat anything from pizza goldfish to poptarts and have no issues. Not that I fed him those things, my little nephew liked to throw his food on the floor and tell the dog to eat it.
I just want my dog to be healthy. The breeders that i got her from have the most amazing looking gsd's ive ever seen and swear up and down that you only need to feed them a HQ kibble. After i fed my puppy steak i've been going through ****. I wish i never did. But to each his own, everyone is different. As long as you and your pup is happy.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Don’t get a cute puppy because it’s convenient and available. Get one because it’s the breed you can’t live without. If you aren’t sure, wait. We see too many owners who didn't ask before getting one who show up here when the puppy is older and out of control. GSDs are not Labs. You need to spend time around good examples of the breed, then start looking for puppies. You are doing it backwards.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
commenting on this
" he only knows that the parents were pure breed but he has no papers "

how exactly does this man have 3 pups that look to be in the 10 to 12 week age
range available.

is he the breeder , then why in the world did he breed when he knows not one thing
about the sire and the dam? Two biological units , right timing and bingo - puppies.
They could have been from brother sister litter .

the no papers may be because there was a non-breeding contract and papers would be given
after verification of spay or neuter .

the pups could be in his possession because they were part of a barter , a settlement for some debt -
they represent a cash value

at least they look well cared for

he doesn't know - then you do not breed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I finally got it, thanks everyone for your help, I actually took an older one 4 months old and very nice, he had the papers for the parents but not the grand parents from what I saw its pure breed.

Ill take a picture tomorrow at daylight.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Can you share the pedigree? If he has papers on the parents, the grandparents’ lineage will be listed on the puppy’s pedigree
no kidding .

Last fall I had someone contact me wwanting to breed their female .

I don't do this . Even more reason to not do this was that his female, which
he admitted , had a non-breeding contract on her .

He had absolutely no problem with violating an agreement that he had signed.

you meet all sorts.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
no kidding .

Last fall I had someone contact me wwanting to breed their female .

I don't do this . Even more reason to not do this was that his female, which
he admitted , had a non-breeding contract on her .

He had absolutely no problem with violating an agreement that he had signed.

you meet all sorts.
No papers on the grandparents.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts