German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always loved GSD's and now that I've moved out on my own and am comfortable enough to have a pet I'm going to take the plunge. I have a few questions, though.

1. How are GSDs as a breed with cats? My cats get along with dogs they just need a little time to warm up. The cats have been around dogs for the past year or so with no incidents.

2. As a breed are GSDs easy to crate train? Or do they insist on being left outside? I'm going to be living in an apartment so our dog is going to have to be in the crate Mon-Wed from 7am-2pm. Those are the only 3 days in the week no one is home in the morning. The rest of the week and Mon-Wed afternoons I'll take him/her to the local park. *Note, the dog will be primarily an indoors dog. We'll only keep him in the crate if we leave to run errands and cannot bring him or its bed time.

3. How much should I look to be paying for a purebred non-show quality male? And does anyone know any breeders in Seattle?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Hi, I thought I would take a stab at your questions, I own two shepherds myself and a cat who thinks he is a dog.

I got my first Shepherd , Riddick, at 7 weeks old, and my cat took him instantly, I only paid 500 for Riddick because the breeders were friends. Now that seems low but his quality is not at diminishable, he has import bloodlines so he is a German/German Shepherd, he was originally bred for the Denver Police Department, but ended up being the runt of the litter so I took him for a lot cheaper than what they were selling the others, however, he ended up reaching 125 lbs. So much for being a runt!

Riddick never insists on being outside, I think that because we got him at 7 weeks, he bonded with my husband and I so strongly that he insists on being and going everywhere with us, he likes outside, but really just wants to be by OUR side. I never crated him, never had to though so I can't really help you with your crate question, but I have heard it can be tedious to crate them at first but pays off in the long run.

I just recently bought another shepherd, her name is Rogue, and she is getting along with my cat as well, my cat loves dogs, so I think your cats will get along wonderfully with a Shepherd! We paid 700 for Rogue, but I would be careful when dealing with breeders because I have ran into some shady ones, definitely do your research on the breeder your talking to. People have always told me I could do a shelter/rescue and get a great dog, which I agree, but because of my cat I was worried I wouldn’t find a great fit.

Hope I was a little helpful…

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks for your replies! So when no one is home you let Riddick roam the house freely, or tie him up in the backyard? The GSD I'm looking at is 2 years old so crate training at first might be difficult.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Hi there and welcome!

You definitely don't want to leave a dog alone and tied up in the backyard. That's a recipe for disaster. Most gsds are happier inside, even when you're not home. They like to be where they can smell their pack.

You definitely want to crate a new dog. Once you've had them for a while you will be able to tell if they can handle being out on their own but you don't want to find out the hard way that they're not trustworthy or have them hurt themselves!

There are many of us who foster and rescue on this board and we've all crate trained older dogs (older than puppies). It's not that hard. You just follow the same principles as you would a puppy. You feed the dog all of her/his meals in the crate, give special treats in there, leave them in there for very short periods with you right there and gradually lengthen them. The idea is to make it a happy place.

Also, if you're buying a 2 year old from a breeder then they should certainly be crate and kennel trained!

And finally, I have a cat and dogs. Dogs are not necessarily good with cats, especially if you get an adult dog with high prey drive. Sometimes they have to be kept separated for life but at least at the beginning you will want to keep the dog on a leash in the house when the cat is around and be sure to have gates up so that cat can get to safe places.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Forgot to add that you might want to consider adopting a dog from a rescue. They are in foster homes and often are with cats. If it's a reputable rescue they come housebroken and crate trained, at minimum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowHi there and welcome!

You definitely don't want to leave a dog alone and tied up in the backyard. That's a recipe for disaster. Most gsds are happier inside, even when you're not home. They like to be where they can smell their pack.

You definitely want to crate a new dog. Once you've had them for a while you will be able to tell if they can handle being out on their own but you don't want to find out the hard way that they're not trustworthy or have them hurt themselves!

There are many of us who foster and rescue on this board and we've all crate trained older dogs (older than puppies). It's not that hard. You just follow the same principles as you would a puppy. You feed the dog all of her/his meals in the crate, give special treats in there, leave them in there for very short periods with you right there and gradually lengthen them. The idea is to make it a happy place.
Awesome tip! I will most definitely do that, that's a good idea. I'll be living in an apartment so there's no way I can just tie the dog up and leave him be. He'll be by himself in the apartment three days a week for 6 hours but that's it. We're big on walks in the park so he'll get plenty of exercise.

I prefer to rescue from a shelter so I'm keeping an eye out.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Riddick roams around our house freely, it only took me a week to potty train him and he learned the house rules fairly easily as well. There was only one incident where he was bad, and that was my fault, I was in a rush one morning and didn't have time for our morning run, well I left for an hour and came back and he had opened up my backpack and pulled out my iPod and tore it to peices, I knew it was for revenge against our missed run because he bypassed the candy that was in my bag and went right to the thing I ran with!! But he does great in the house. It is really his house!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
SO are you looking to get a rescue or a puppy? You mentioned both.

As far as this part of your first post:" How much should I look to be paying for a purebred non-show quality male?"

I would say $1000 to $1200 and UP if you are talking about a puppy from a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm looking for a GSD around 2 years old. So I know it has an established behavior and if he/she has issues with cats.

I've also gone the route of a local GSD Rescue since I've found one local.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts