German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Those are just precious, adorable!! Did they supply Friscos Santa suit or did you buy it? Definitely card worthy!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are just precious, adorable!! Did they supply Friscos Santa suit or did you buy it? Definitely card worthy!

Thanks! They supplied it but most people came with their dog all dressed. The woman who owns the doggie daycare is a GSD enthusiast and she is obsessed with Frisco. I mean she grooms him for free while he is there and trains him to do crazy stuff, like get me a beer from the fridge.

Anyway, she bought that outfit just for him. We weren’t even planing on being in the picture but she made us. Our “photo shoot” took 30 minutes because the owner wanted her own pictures. I felt bad for all the other owners waiting who eventually got a quick pic snapped and a thank you.

·
Registered
629 Posts
and trains him to do crazy stuff, like get me a beer from the fridge.
And do tell, how consistent does this work? I’d love to teach this to my dogs, it’d be a bonus if they could pour some wine too!

Is this a dog day care that he goes to? How is that?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And do tell, how consistent does this work? I’d love to teach this to my dogs, it’d be a bonus if they could pour some wine too!

Is this a dog day care that he goes to? How is that?
Hi, yes, this is a doggy daycare he goes to 2.5 days a week. He gets special treatment as I mentioned. The owner is a little crazy in a nice way. Doggy Daycare and Grooming people usually are a little nuts in my experience.

She lost her GSD right before I enrolled Frisco. I didn't know her prior but she has had 9 GSD's over the years. Frisco turned out to be therapy for her. She is well versed on training. After he spent his first day there at 16 weeks, she deemed him an exceptional special dog (blushing). He really is though. He is crazy smart and has an incredible temperament for his age. She just teaches him crap. He get the watering can for her to water the flowers on command. She taught him to get his leash and bring it at 18 weeks.

On the beer - we (or she) is at the stage of opening the fridge. To do this, you need to hang a towel through the handle so he can pull it open. Then you need a mock can or bottle wrapped in electrical tape or something to make it grip. Need to leave it low enough for him to retrieve it. Opening the fridge is easy to train. Put the beer can on the floor to start and have him bring it and treat him. Then kind of put it all together. Fridge, beer, bring.

·
Registered
629 Posts
That’s awesome! Unfortunately the handle to my frig broke off :rolls eyes:. And if I taught them how to open it, I imagine they’d be raiding it every time I left the house! Is Frisco your first GSD? I ask because Rio is mine (he’s 17 months now) and I have been wonderfully surprised at what a great pup/dog he is. As you said just so smart, loving, biddable and personality to match. He may be my first but not the last.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
That’s awesome! Unfortunately the handle to my frig broke off :rolls eyes:. And if I taught them how to open it, I imagine they’d be raiding it every time I left the house! Is Frisco your first GSD? I ask because Rio is mine (he’s 17 months now) and I have been wonderfully surprised at what a great pup/dog he is. As you said just so smart, loving, biddable and personality to match. He may be my first but not the last.
He's my second GSD. Duke was my first and is the dog on the left in my avatar. He died earlier this year. I kind of lost him in my divorce, so I didn't spend the last 5 years with him, but always considered him my dog. My ex. un-did everything I did.

Duke was American Working Line. Frisco West German Showline. Very different dogs and temperaments. Duke was a pet store impulse buy un-papered, well it was some registration I never heard of, one piece of paper with no lineage. I fell in love with the breed though when I got Duke and I always said next time I do it right. All German lines, parents from WG, great breeder, AKC, etc. Just a great dog so far, very chill and obedient. He will be 6 months on Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I’m sorry about Duke, but glad he was a good dog and made an impact on you. And now you have Frisco! I didn’t know there was an American working line, I know of the show and “pet” lines. Rio is a mish mash with his sire 100% WGS and his dam a euro working line with a smattering of the aforementioned American pet lines. He’s genetically diverse at least! Lol. I love the rich red pigment that the WGS dogs possess and IMO I just love Friscos markings. You lucked out with him! Not even six months, a precious time that flies by so fast literally take photos and videos every day because before you know it they’ve transformed into just “another big dumb dog”. Hah! Seriously though rarely I’ll stumble upon a video I took of Rio when he was little and when I watch it I just go “awwww” and melt inside.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’m sorry about Duke, but glad he was a good dog and made an impact on you. And now you have Frisco! I didn’t know there was an American working line, I know of the show and “pet” lines. Rio is a mish mash with his sire 100% WGS and his dam a euro working line with a smattering of the aforementioned American pet lines. He’s genetically diverse at least! Lol. I love the rich red pigment that the WGS dogs possess and IMO I just love Friscos markings. You lucked out with him! Not even six months, a precious time that flies by so fast literally take photos and videos every day because before you know it they’ve transformed into just “another big dumb dog”. Hah! Seriously though rarely I’ll stumble upon a video I took of Rio when he was little and when I watch it I just go “awwww” and melt inside.
HA!! I have more pictures and videos of him than my first born. Thanks on the Frisco compliments. Rio is a looker as well. Still aspiring to do what you just did with the show. Don't quote me on the American working line. He was definitely American (puppy mill) and he was definitely a working dog (high maintenance pain in the butt, but so sweet).

·
Registered
629 Posts
HA!! I have more pictures and videos of him than my first born.
LOL! Sounds like I’m preaching to the choir! Thank you about Rio, I just adore him. Our dogs wouldn’t do well at all in AKC (conformation) but I wholeheartedly encourage you to check out UKC. I was quite nervous but everyone was so down to earth and friendly, it really helped. You could even attend a show sans Frisco and check it out first if you’d like, but they do offer puppy classes when they turn 6 months. Judges are very understanding of puppy antics so why not give it a shot? Just give him a bath the night before, make sure he’s brushed out and fluffed up (though Rio isn’t hardly fluffy at all for GSD standards) and his nails are trimmed. My leash is a -$5 black nylon little dog leash from wal mart that bundles up nicely in one hand, who’s to know the wiser! Either way it would be good experience for you two, especially if you are interested in other dog sports too. Rios about to start his intermediate agility class (which he LOVES) and we’re working on rally obedience to compete in the next show come February. It’s fun and you get to mingle with a buncha other crazy dog folks!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL! Sounds like I’m preaching to the choir! Thank you about Rio, I just adore him. Our dogs wouldn’t do well at all in AKC (conformation) but I wholeheartedly encourage you to check out UKC. I was quite nervous but everyone was so down to earth and friendly, it really helped. You could even attend a show sans Frisco and check it out first if you’d like, but they do offer puppy classes when they turn 6 months. Judges are very understanding of puppy antics so why not give it a shot? Just give him a bath the night before, make sure he’s brushed out and fluffed up (though Rio isn’t hardly fluffy at all for GSD standards) and his nails are trimmed. My leash is a -$5 black nylon little dog leash from wal mart that bundles up nicely in one hand, who’s to know the wiser! Either way it would be good experience for you two, especially if you are interested in other dog sports too. Rios about to start his intermediate agility class (which he LOVES) and we’re working on rally obedience to compete in the next show come February. It’s fun and you get to mingle with a buncha other crazy dog folks!

We are on the same page! I plan on attending when I can find a local show in the area just to see what it’s like. Funny, I’m changing daycares because he will be six months old and intact and he’s getting kicked out. Owner is beside herself on why I won’t fix him. He’s going to a training facility that also offers daycare. Agility is something I’m going to have them work on and also with me. He really doesn’t need the obedience they have to offer. He could use a little help with recall but that coming with age. Puppies are stubborn with recall. Also want them to teach him place. He knows everything else. Thanks for the words of encouragement. The only thing I don’t like about long hair is all the maintenance it takes. We have him groomed every other week.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts