German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ghost has just had her spay surgery done, she’s 2yo now. The vet said not to let the area get wet, and to try to keep her ‘calm’, and not too horribly active, which we both sort of laughed at. How did you keep your female ‘calm’ after surgery? Or did you just let her play and run about normally?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Many years ago we had chow/samoyed female little mates that both developed seromas that required a second surgery to reopen the incision site for drainage and adding another 14 days of sutures and rest. That was enough for me to make certain that when we had Ziva spayed we put her on serious crate rest, cone of shame and after the first couple days of tramadol we switched to benadryl to keep her a tad sleepy and calm. When she was out of her crate keeping her from jumping up on the beds was our biggest challenge. She loved and still loves to sleep on the beds. Walks were limited to leash only (no off leash) for about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
10,829 Posts
She had major abdominal surgery and you need to take the vet's advice seriously. Even when the outside looks "healed" the scar is fragile and the is also the internal scar. Of you let her exercise as she would like you can cause the scar to open and that will be a huge setback.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a c-section with my second child so I sort of liken it to that... and I know I was very limited with movement for awhile. It’s just hard to keep a GSD ‘calm’ as we all know they love to play and romp. Thank y’all for the insight!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts