German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 y/o male GSD with no known injury or medical issue occasionally reacts while walking as if he's stepped on something sharp (front leg bends at wrist as he appears to suddenly remove weight from it, or it buckles in some way - looks like it goes out on him), but most of the time he's running around fine. Seems to happen when he steps or moves a particular way. As soon as it's happened, he's fine and walks/runs as if there's no problem. This has been going on for at least a couple of months, but it happens so fast and he acts so normal afterward that I thought (1) it must be my imagination, or (2) he actually stepped on a sharp-edge stone (this seems to happen only outside), and so didn't seek medical attention.

Today, after a solid half-hour of serious ball chasing, he ran (now a slowish run, not really fast) for a ball on mostly even terrain, straight line, and it happened again, but this time he let out a yelp and then carried the paw (right front) while standing still. He didn't want me to touch it and he kept it off the ground for a minute. He favored it while testing his weight and 1 minute later he was again walking around as if nothing happened, but we stopped any further activity.

Once home, I checked his paw for cuts, thorns, etc. Nothing. Claws are fine - normal length and none broken. Put minor pressure on the wrist while he laid down- no complaint. Don't feel any swelling. Feels same as the other wrist.

Vet can't see him until Wednesday, but curious to know if these look like symptoms others have seen. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Could be a sprain or maybe a fracture who knows for sure. Tuke did something similar, acted like her front paw had something going on momentarily and then acted fine again. We checked her pads, toenails etc.. and found nothing. Later playing fetch she stared limping this time so we took her in and had it X-rayed. Turned out she had sprained the two middle toes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be a sprain or maybe a fracture who knows for sure. Tuke did something similar, acted like her front paw had something going on momentarily and then acted fine again. We checked her pads, toenails etc.. and found nothing. Later playing fetch she stared limping this time so we took her in and had it X-rayed. Turned out she had sprained the two middle toes.
That's wild/weird. I should add that I regularly handle each toe to grind his claws while he lays on his side and he's not protested. He also flirt-poles with the occasional mild jump/twist/land with no ill effect. I'll make sure they double-check the toes. Thx

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Could be a bone spur or something like that. My boy has wrist issues but if he comes down hard on it and yelps he will limp for several days at least.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
it's been going on for a couple of months. why did you wait so
long to make a Vet appointment?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's been going on for a couple of months. why did you wait so
long to make a Vet appointment?
" . . . it happens so fast and he acts so normal afterward that I thought (1) it must be my imagination, or (2) he actually stepped on a sharp-edge stone (this seems to happen only outside), and so didn't seek medical attention."

I didn't think there was a problem that required medical attention until today, when he yelped. Previously, I thought I'd imagined he was moving his foot in a weird way because he never limped after it appeared to "go out."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts