German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have toyed with the idea a lot to switch my boys dog food. He is on EVO right now and has been for awhile. I just think it is time for a switch and try somthing different. I leave his dog food bowl full all the time. He does not eat a lot at all. I large bag of dog food will last me months. I just need to make sure what ever dog food I get is small bites. I think TOTW would be a good switch for me.

Can anyone tell me if TOTW are small bites? The dog food seems great and I like how it is all life stages. My boy is 15 yrs old and eating a large bite dog food is to hard for him. If they are not small bites can anyone tell me of a really good brand of dog food that is small bites.

·
Registered
314 Posts
They are small bites. Lamb, venison/bison, and salmon -- all the varieties (haven't tried the fowl but have to assume) So is the cat food.

My animals have done very well on TOTW. I like the lamb the most for my dogs. Venison/bison is a bit higher in protein and I don't need or want that. We have intolerance of chicken so I steer clear of the fowl recipe.

Yes, they are all small bites.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is awesome. I think the evo may be to high in protine for my boy to. His coat looks great and he loves it though. How much is a large bag of it?

·
Registered
891 Posts
If your dog is 15 and doing fine on his current food, why are you switching? Seems kind of risky to me for a dog that old. But if he isn't eating enough, losing weight, etc. then TOTW would probably be a good choice to peak his appetite. It is small bites.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I switched to TOTW because my dog preferred the taste to Nature's Variety and Orijen. It won a blind taste test paws down! Stosh needs to gain a little weight so I've been adding a few spoonfuls of TOTW canned and he loves it

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I made the switch from Purina to TOTW with Sasha a few months ago (not sure the exact time frame). She LOVES it. The large bag costs me around $43. This is my first month on the large bag and I think it's going to last me about a month and a half. Her coat looks so much better on TOTW than it did on Purina, it's softer too. Also, there seems to be less doggy gas :sick:.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
I wouldn't switch him either, especially not to a food made by Diamond!

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Also, TOTW is nowhere NEAR as small as EVOs "small bites", jftr. If he can't handle their regular size food then he wont be able to handle TOTW.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He is eating the red meat small bite formula the bag is 28.6 lbs. I think it was like $60. I am wanting to try a different dog food because his poop is ever changing sometimes its really runny or really soft it will be normal for awhile then all the suddon be super soft. Its not bloody or anything and we have had a blood test done so all his insides are good. After we moved he was so stressed that he was having diahrea like crazy and I mixed some cooked brown rice with a handful or two and his poop was perfect. He does shed a lot, but he is a husky/gsd mix. I think switching his food will help his poop.

·
Registered
891 Posts
He is eating the red meat small bite formula the bag is 28.6 lbs. I think it was like $60. I am wanting to try a different dog food because his poop is ever changing sometimes its really runny or really soft it will be normal for awhile then all the suddon be super soft. Its not bloody or anything and we have had a blood test done so all his insides are good. After we moved he was so stressed that he was having diahrea like crazy and I mixed some cooked brown rice with a handful or two and his poop was perfect. He does shed a lot, but he is a husky/gsd mix. I think switching his food will help his poop.
Then I would try the Lamb/Rice formula. Lamb seems to be a milder protein source and since you say he did well on adding rice, then maybe the TOTW will help. And as to the shedding, I just got a new vacuum with a headlamp and boy, did I see what I had been missing, hair, hair everywhere, LOL. Hope your boy does well with the switch, just switch gradually.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That sounds good I will start with the lamb and rice small bites. Ill be getting it soon since I am low on food that way I can mix the two.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I have toyed with the idea a lot to switch my boys dog food. He is on EVO right now and has been for awhile. I just think it is time for a switch and try somthing different. I leave his dog food bowl full all the time. He does not eat a lot at all. I large bag of dog food will last me months. I just need to make sure what ever dog food I get is small bites. I think TOTW would be a good switch for me.

Can anyone tell me if TOTW are small bites? The dog food seems great and I like how it is all life stages. My boy is 15 yrs old and eating a large bite dog food is to hard for him. If they are not small bites can anyone tell me of a really good brand of dog food that is small bites.
You live in Wisconsin? If that's the case, then try Dr. Tim's Pursuit. You won't be disappointed. Superb food. Kinesis would be good for a dog that age as well. Both are much more digestible than EVO or TOTW due to the type of fiber and very low ash content. The grind is also very fine.

You will feed less, pick up less and your dog will light up. I have 3 on it now. The kibble size is on the small side.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I switched my 8 year old off of EVO due to protein levels. Plus the ASH is very high. I have been happy with TOTW.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't live in wi anymore we moved. My boy does not eat that much at all he eats when he wants. I think totw is good we will try it soon. As long as the lamb is small bites I think it will work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts