German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
So, Ellie had her spay surgery over two months ago - we are 11 weeks out now. She did great, no issues at all and the incision healed beautifully with the exception of a small seroma that absorbed about three days after it appeared. I have kept an eye on it making sure nothing else pops up, and up until about 4 days ago, it was totally healed and looked good.
I noticed a hard, scab-like area at the very top of her scar a few days ago and have kept a close eye on it; it wasn’t red, swollen, or oozy, so I figured just keep watching it. Well, when I went to check on it tonight, the scab had come off and now she has a small, circular reddened area that looks quite irritated. I felt of it and a little pus came out, as well as about a 1 inch piece of clear suture. She doesn’t seem to be bothered by it at all, and it’s not warm to the touch. I cleaned it very well and applied some neosporin. I want to get her to the vet to get it checked, but the soonest they can see me is Thursday (2 more days). I am attaching two photos that she barely let me get.
My question is - has anyone ever experienced this before? And should I get her into the emergency vet, or can it wait until Thursday as long as I keep an eye on it and it doesn’t worsen?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I'm no expert, but the wound looks pretty small. So if it doesn't suddenly worsen dramatically, I would think that waiting a couple days wouldn't be a problem. It could be that that one strand of clear suture that came out was the cause, and now that it's out it will heal on its own. If it looks like it's improving in 2 days you can always cancel and save a few bucks. Good Luck, and let us know how things turn out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! I am a nurse and assumed this is what it could be, but I wasn’t told what type of suture they used when she was closed. I appreciate you putting my mind at ease, I’ll update on how she’s doing in a few days :)

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I'm a retired nurse, and have removed hundreds of sutures. If the bit of suture causing the infection has been removed, this should heal up just fine!

It's a common problem with sutures: the person removing them doesn't remove the portion that's underneath the skin, which stays there and festers, until someone realizes the problem and removes it.

Personally, I wouldn't bother going to the vet, unless this doesn't heal up on its own.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
This happened to max when he had the corn cob sx. Looked the same but crusty and then then one tiny stitch came through. I was able to remove it and then it healed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts