German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone recognize the symptoms Bruno, my 4 month old GSD is displaying? He also has diarrhea, rumbling of the stomach, gas, lack of hunger x 1 day, pale gums, somewhat lethargic, little energy. His stools are generally runny in texture and are dark colored, usually blackish. The poop isn't yellow or mucus covered. This is his third instance of vomiting today.

He has been to the vet twice in the last month for diarrhea. The doc diagnosed him with an intestinal bacteria infection and provided me antibiotics, probiotics and a pill to remove the bad bacteria (forgot the name) both times. We've had him on a bland diet of rice and boiled chicken mixed with royal canin puppy kibble for 2 and a half weeks.

1368662910029.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
32,341 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What was the antibiotic, and how long was he on it? Did your vet run any tests? I think it's a little young for EPI, but he could have SIBO.

There have been recent threads about EPI/SIBO, along with giardia and coccidia, let me see if I can find something for you to read.

ETA: Here's one http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/263570-help-chronic-loose-stools-low-weight.html
He was given amoxicillin, floriflora canine, metronidazole and pyrantel pamoate. The only test I can see on the vet bill is intestinal parasite fecal exam. Thanks for the link.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
32,341 Posts
I'm not familiar with that last med, but I looked it up and apparently it's a wormer. Metro would take care of giardia, if he had that. If he has SIBO, he'd need antibiotics for at least 4 weeks. Usually that's Tylan (tylosin) or Tetracyline, but amoxicillin might work too, I don't know. Still, unless he was on it was for at least 4 weeks, it wouldn't be long enough. Fortiflora is a probiotic supplement.

It might be worth asking for a test for SIBO. He'd need to be fasted for at least 12 hours in order for accurate test results. This article talks about both EPI and SIBO: Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) and Pancreatic Insufficiency | petMD

It mentions metro as one of the antibiotics you can use, but I would only give it for short term use, such as a week to 10 days. There are potential side affects with long term use of metro, such as you'd need for treating SIBO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts