German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this girl on Craigs List, I have an email into the rescue, but wanted your opinions on something.

On the web page it says this girl is approximately 5 years old, however in the description it says she is 8 years old. I am looking to bring a older dog into the house, but wanted to know if you all had a guess on how old this girl might be?

Check out the website, they have a decent amount of pictures on there. Let me know, I may be going to look at her this weekend.

Zelda's Web Page

·
Registered
954 Posts
I just did a transport for a senior girl that was est to be 8-9 years old. This one looks younger then that to me.. around 5-6 I would think.. Just because she doesn't have a whole lot of gray on her muzzle yet... it's really hard to say.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Unfortunately it can be really really hard to tell and how well a dog has been taken care of has a huge effect on how old they look. When we moved to our new town the vet assessed Rocky's muscle tone, teeth, and general conditioning and guessed him to be 4 or 5. He's 8! But he's been very well taken care of and gets plenty of exercise and good food. It can go the other way too, I've seen dogs that I though for sure were 8 or 10 and then their owners told me the dog was five.

·
Registered
30,384 Posts
If she's chipped then I assume you can get her age information from that. She doesn't have alot of grey on her muzzle so I would say younger but she might just not show her age.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts