German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the vet now. Sofie gulped down a 1 inch whole, boiled oxtail bone last night. It was no larger in diameter than my little pinky. It fell off of the kitchen counter, and I couldn't say no fast enough. By the time it hit the floor and I realized what had happened, she had already swallowed it.

So, that was last night at about 9:00. This morning she had normal energy, etc. Not too interested in breakfast, but that's normal for her too. She did eat 2 dried sweet potato wedges though.

At noon today she threw up the potatoes, and then had brownish/clearish gelatin like diarrhea.

I immediately came to the vet because I thought it might be serious. Now I wonder if my decision was too rash. I would think that a bone this small, that was unchewed, would pass. Is it possible that it's lodged sideways? If so, with rest could it correct itself and pass?

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The vet says temp is normal, they can feel no lumps, etc. when feeling her abdominal area, and they are running bloodwork to check her pancreas.

She believes that the vomiting and diarrhea are solely because she has a sensitive stomach. Not because of a bowel obstruction - water is staying down. She says that if she had a bowel obstruction, the water wouldn't stay down either.

So, unless there are oddities with the bloodwork, we'll go home, encourage fluids, make some chicken and rice for her dinner, and let her rest.

Thanks again. For me, it's always a little frightening when your fur babies are ill. They can't tell you what's wrong, and you know that they don't feel good and they don't understand what, "you're gonna be OK" means.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
... water is staying down. She says that if she had a bowel obstruction, the water wouldn't stay down either.
That's only true when there is a complete obstruction. They can have a partial obstruction. Hopefully it was small enough though to not cause trouble.

If it was that small, did it have enough stuff on it to trigger pancreatitis?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"
If it was that small, did it have enough stuff on it to trigger pancreatitis?
It still had the meat, gelatin, and the cartilidge on the ends.

I'll ask about partial obstruction when she comes back. They had to Draw more blood (vial cracked).

It was such a small bone....but I know little of a GSD's anatomy.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I agree it's always better to error on the side of caution. I'm so glad to hear that it doesn't appear to be an obstruction. Better a sensitve stomach than surgery!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I have heard that giving your dog a few teaspoons of peroxide immediately if they swallow something will cause them to vomit the item right back up within moments. Would this have helped?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts