German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My litter is about to hit the 5 week mark, and it’s really easy to tell if they have a standard coat. My female sable has a standard coat that’s is still puppy soft years later, but is nice and short. My male in the other hand is poofy. His outer coat is about 3 inches long, and feels like dog hair. Both dogs have LCs in their pedigrees but I have no idea how to tell. I attached a couple photos of one of the puffy puppies.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,209 Posts
Yes, I would suspect this puppy could be a longcoat. Do you have pics of the rest of the litter for comparison?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I would suspect this puppy could be a longcoat. Do you have pics of the rest of the litter for comparison?
I do, but with them it’s pretty obvious they’re gonna be standard coat.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
In Kiba's litter both long coats had pretty wavy hair in the beginning and their sister, who was also suspected of being a long coat, didn't have quite the "curl" to her fur. She ended up just being a poofier stock coat. I think your pup might be similar? But at this point it's really hard to tell.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I was mainly hoping they would take after their moms coat. It’s crazy. Puppy soft and she hardly sheds.. no odors or anything.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have nothing of value to add. BUT, I simply must comment that the pup in the middle pic, the dark one with the little up ears, is freaking adorable. Looks like you know what on wheels!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have nothing of value to add. BUT, I simply must comment that the pup in the middle pic, the dark one with the little up ears, is freaking adorable. Looks like you know what on wheels!
Yes! She’s a trip. Can tell by watching the pups that she going to be trouble just because of how aware she is.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no advice to give but to show you what our long coat looked like just a few days shy of being 8 weeks. Maybe it will help. They are beautiful pups!!!
Thanks, I think the one is the only possible LC. The others are gonna be a nice tight standard and perhaps a few “plush” coats like the sire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts