German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I took my dog to the dog park for the second time and there was a bit of an incident. He's an 8 month old un-neutered male. Fairly big (probably ~70ish pounds) and was the second biggest dog at that dog park.

There was a 3 year old husky there who was smaller than my dog and pretty small for a husky, but still a medium sized dog. Anyways, this husky was running at full speed and either accidentally collided with my dog or intentionally tackled my dog. It was a pretty big impact. After the impact, this husky and at least 2 other dogs started chasing my dog (the husky, one big dog, and one little dog). My dog ran away from them and was crying/yelping while running. My dog was fast and the other dogs didn't get a bite in or anything like that. Other than the initial impact, my dog didn't get hurt. I eventually met up with my dog at a fence and I protected him, leashed him, and we got out of there.

He seems totally fine and back to normal with the exception of his urination. I feel like he's urinating in bursts, rather than a constant flowing stream. He also may be urinating more frequently... I'm not really sure. He drank a lot of water last night, and I thought it might be because of that... or maybe he was just trying to mark his territory around the backyard moreso. I'm not really sure. I'm not really sure if there's a big change or not. I normally probably wouldn't have noticed anything, but I've been watching him more closely since the impact yesterday and this is the only thing that might be out of the ordinary. Is it possible that an organ got injured during the impact?

He still slept through the night without having to go pee and he's not peeing in the house or anything. His pooing seems normal. Should I be concerned? Should I take him to the vet? Should I give it another day or two and see how he does? Like I said, he seems totally back to normal with the exception that I think it takes him longer to pee and he's peeing more in bursts rather than a constant stream. What do you all recommend I do?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm not an expert, if you are that worried I'd take him to a vet, and I'm sure some other more experienced people will chime in later (it is the work day, so later in the evening you'll get more hits) but I would think he might just be sore, but nothing serious if that's the only thing you're noticing? I would probably give it another day or two, or call the vet and tell them what happened and see if they think you should give it a day or two or just bring them in.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Yes if I was concerned, I would take him to the vet. Also, you've seen now what can happen at dog parks, I would never take him back to that one or any other. Dog parks are always fine until one day they are not. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yes if I was concerned, I would take him to the vet. Also, you've seen now what can happen at dog parks, I would never take him back to that one or any other. Dog parks are always fine until one day they are not. Just my two cents.
I agree with what newlie wrote.
Also. There are lots of threads on the forum filled with reasons why you shouldn't bring your dog to the dog park.

Your dog as a new comer may have ranked lower in the pack and got double teamed or triple teamed.
Rank system is discussed in the Dog Park Threads on the forum.

Are you thinking that your dog's kidneys were injured in the impact?

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I agree with calling your vet and asking what they think . I would thinl He was probably drinking more due to stress. But call the vet.
On a side note this is exactly why I would never partake in a dog park. I would have a hard time not kicking the **** out of the dogs or their owners. I have never been to one do dogs just run free with no supervision. I would think people would still be in control of their dogs. Sounds like no.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
OK. Maybe I wouldn't kick the **** out of the dogs or their owners but it would take every bit of restraint I had to keep myself in control.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
These are sadly the risks involved with these dog parks. Take him to the vet and have him checked out for peace of mind.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
This could have happened anywhere playing with a neighbor's dog or another dog in the household. I have had my dogs body slammed by other dogs just walking through parks or even right in front of my house. Don't blame the dog park. It can happen anywhere.

I would call the vet and tell them what happened and see what they advise. Chances are you could not get an appointment for days and they will either tell you to bring him in then and by then you could make a better determination yourself on whether to bring him in or to cancel in a couple of days or they may tell you signs to look out for and when you need to take him to an ER vet.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
This could have happened anywhere playing with a neighbor's dog or another dog in the household. I have had my dogs body slammed by other dogs just walking through parks or even right in front of my house. Don't blame the dog park. It can happen anywhere.

I would call the vet and tell them what happened and see what they advise. Chances are you could not get an appointment for days and they will either tell you to bring him in then and by then you could make a better determination yourself on whether to bring him in or to cancel in a couple of days or they may tell you signs to look out for and when you need to take him to an ER vet.
Yes maybe with one dog but very unlikely multiple dogs. Multiple unknown dogs in a setting where they can run is a recipe for disaster. I go to dog parks and I will be the first to say that it happens like this all time and it is a risk to go into these areas with multiple dogs that don't know each other. To say it's not is a lie. It's not always the safest place to go and I would tell most people they are better off not going.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Yes maybe with one dog but very unlikely multiple dogs. Multiple unknown dogs in a setting where they can run is a recipe for disaster. I go to dog parks and I will be the first to say that it happens like this all time and it is a risk to go into these areas with multiple dogs that don't know each other. To say it's not is a lie. It's not always the safest place to go and I would tell most people they are better off not going.
I agree. You have multiple unknown dogs, maybe supervised and maybe not, you have multiple unknown people, a few of which may carry guns and will use them if so inclined, and you have the disease factor from people not picking up after their dogs and people who choose not to vaccinate. Aren't these things a factor just walking around in your neighborhood? Certainly, but the odds go up exponentially with every additional dog.

Add to that, it is sure as shooting that if there is an altercation between your dog and another dog, the big dog will always get the blame even if the smaller dog has been biting your dog's face off.

I never go, it is just not worth the risk to me.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I have been going to multiple dog parks for nearly fifteen years and have yet to see a dog get body slammed. Obviously, it happens, but it is not common. Multiple unknown dogs in a setting where they can run is not a recipe for disaster unless Pit Bulls are involved. It is a lot of fun for the dogs, they burn off excess energy, and they come to view other dogs with neutrality as they aren't restricted from interacting with dogs and don't view other dogs as a big deal to get all excited about. They also become adept at doggie social skills which also cuts down on problems.

There is always a small risk in dog parks, but it is the exception, not the rule, and to imply differently, especially when one is not a seasoned dog park attendee, is not truthful or representative. It is not always the safest place to go, but the risks are minimal, and depending on where you live, the risks can be far higher in one's own neighborhood.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I feel as though most of these replies are avoiding your concern. Your concern was not with the dog park itself, but rather your dog's urination. Personally, my 3 y.o. male pees in interrupted streams as well. There is a difference between marking and "emptying" their bladder. Marking will especially look like bursts. Feel around your dog's body and look for discomfort when applying pressure in the stomach region. This does not sound very abnormal to myself, but only you know your dog's habits (none of us do!). Go with your gut, but personally, I would give it a day or so to calm down and calm your nerves down as well.

Side note: dog parks are a no-go for me based upon irresponsible ownership and sometimes dogs just don't get along. The deep woods make for a much better off leash adventure in my opinion!!! GOOD LUCKKKKKKK :D

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
No "Pit" involvement "this" time ... just saying.

If people are eager to expose their dogs to the "clueless and the lame" and the "uncontrolled chaos of a Dog Park," no problem. If new dog owners are "eager" to try there hands at "rehabing" a dog aggressive, fear biting dog?? Making your own is a lot easier than finding one in rescue?? A bad "Dog Park" encounter would be a great place to start that process.

I just say no myself "I" don't need the hassel but I'm sure Dog Trainers luv "Dog Parks" ... there great for business. :D

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I feel as though most of these replies are avoiding your concern. Your concern was not with the dog park itself, but rather your dog's urination. Personally, my 3 y.o. male pees in interrupted streams as well. There is a difference between marking and "emptying" their bladder. Marking will especially look like bursts. Feel around your dog's body and look for discomfort when applying pressure in the stomach region. This does not sound very abnormal to myself, but only you know your dog's habits (none of us do!). Go with your gut, but personally, I would give it a day or so to calm down and calm your nerves down as well.

Side note: dog parks are a no-go for me based upon irresponsible ownership and sometimes dogs just don't get along. The deep woods make for a much better off leash adventure in my opinion!!! GOOD LUCKKKKKKK :D
Do not let your guard down in the deep woods as that is where many people with difficult dogs go to run their dogs. I will never forget the terror of being in the deep woods with an elderly, cancer riddled dog when four little boys, about age nine years, appeared with three Pit Bulls dragging them toward me and my disabled dog. I chose to do a 180 and run. There was no way I could protect my dog and I feel very fortunate that I was able to lose them after about a half a mile.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
No "Pit" involvement "this" time ... just saying.

If people are eager to expose their dogs to the "clueless and the lame" and the "uncontrolled chaos of a Dog Park," no problem. If new dog owners are "eager" to try there hands at "rehabing" a dog aggressive, fear biting dog?? Making your own is a lot easier than finding one in rescue?? A bad "Dog Park" encounter would be a great place to start that process.

I just say no myself "I" don't need the hassel but I'm sure Dog Trainers luv "Dog Parks" ... there great for business. :D
Excuse me? Where did most of your dog attacks occur? :D

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Everytime I go I witness an altercation, some worse then others. Oddly enough they never involve pit bulls. I have seen it happen multiple times with GSDs, Huskies, and goldens(this is usually a resource guarding issue) We stay clear of that stuff. Robyn is drawn to pit bulls and boxers, they are usually playing and the group in the corner sound like they are killing each other.

I would never tell anyone there is a small risk at a dog park. The risk is there, these are animals that have teeth and will use them. Not all dogs belong at a dog park, but not all owners will admit this. So they keep bringing them and it puts everyone at risk. It's a personal choice, it works for some and doesn't work for others. In the end everyone needs to know that things can happen, things can get out of hand and dogs can hurt each other.

·
Registered
375 Posts
BauerWhite,

I don't think you need to be too worried from what you've described but I understand why you feel apprehensive. I would follow MineAreWorkingLine's comment and call your vet and say exactly what you said here. See if they feel an office visit is warranted but I'd bet not.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone for the replies. I just got home after being out for 3 hours. My dog went pee outside when I got home and it was a normal constant stream... so I'm very happy about that. I think I'll just continue to monitor him, but it looks like he'll be fine. When we got home, I felt all over him and he didn't seem injured.

As far as dog parks go... I knew the risks going into it. I've read a lot of the stories in this thread to know that they can be a bad place for dogs. But I wanted to give it a try because my dog is pretty big at this point. And I live in Ontario, Canada where pitbulls are banned (an no concealed carry). So it's pretty rare that I run into a bigger/tougher dog. And a lot of people in my neighbourhood had good things to say about the dog park, and our backyard is really small. So I wanted to take him to a place where he could run around off-leash. He's getting pretty well socialized with dogs from staying at a lady's house who boards dogs and walks dogs. He's been there a few times in a house with sometimes 5 to 10 other dogs and he's been really good with them.

But needless to say, I don't think we'll ever go back to that dog park. And we'll certainly be avoiding all dog parks for at least another 6 months or so. Maybe when he's even bigger and faster, I'll try a different dog park if I can find a time where there aren't many dogs there. But we'll see how things go. I may just avoid all dog parks period from now on.

Anyways... thanks again for all the responses. If I got a string of replies urging that I rush him to the vet, I would have done that... but he seems fine now, so I think things will be fine.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
It has been years since I have seen an altercation at a dog park, and I go all the time. Play it safe, remove your dog when you see signs of treats (resource guarding), toys (resource guarding) and Pit Bulls.

Why some people who continually witness altercations at dog parks and continue to go is beyond me.

Just because a dog / animal has teeth does not mean they will used them.

In the end, the risks are no more, probably even less, than walking your dog around the block, after all, it is the same dogs you will encounter at the dog park that you will encounter in your neighborhood.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts