German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone ! I recently got my first purebred GSD puppy and I absolutely love him. One of my biggest concerns with getting a GSD was the possibility that I would get a pup with hip dysplaysia. I made sure to get a pup from a reputable breeder. He provided me with the documentation that showed that both his father and mother had good hips. He also gave me documentation on the rest of my pups lineage that showed that all of the dogs had good hips. He told me that hip dysplaysia is caused by genetics and other environmental factors. So, I make sure to not let my pup jump too much and over exercise him. However, I noticed that when my puppy runs (he will be 5 months old on 09/21/2018) he bunny hops. When he runs it’s usually in short bursts and then he lies down shortly after. He never cries during/ after exercise so he doesn’t seem to be in pain... Another concern I have is that he also can’t jump up into the car. He is able to lift himself up halfway with his front legs on the seat but, refuses to reach his legs up to climb on. Is it normal for an almost 5 month old puppy to not be able to jump up onto things? I also noticed that he is cow hocked and does the lazy puppy sit, which I’m told is normal? A couple of days after I got him I took him to the vet and she said that from what she can tell his hips look fine. However, an X-ray is obviously needed for confirmation. She also advised me to start giving him glucosamine supplements, which I have been doing. I have attached a couple of pictures of him sitting and his stance. This is my first puppy, as every other dog I’ve had was aalready over a year old when I brought them home. I’m just really worried and it breaks my heart to think that he could have hip dysplaysia. Any thoughts/ comments would really help ease my mind! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm not able to give you any information but those on here who would be able to give you any advice will want a video of your pup walking from the side. I hope that isn't the case and good luck with everything!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
The only way to diagnose hip dysplasia is through xray. If he’s not showing any pain or stiffness, or difficulties in getting up after resting, I’d let him grow a bit and then get xrays if you are still concerned. 5 months is a bit young to really be able to tell anything, unless the hips are absolutely terrible.

If it’s any consolation, many dogs that are technically dysplastic never show any signs of it. My boy has mild hip dysplasia and he has no restrictions to his activity.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
please take this in the right spirit.

Iam in no way being negative on you, proud and excited owner , and I am
in no way , no way at all , being negative on the dog who has responsibilty in this.

I advocate FOR the dog .

Too many , way too many , pups with similar problems - all public and on this forum
in different locations , but "related" lines coming up with the same conformaton which
challenges the dog , preventing them from the joy of a normal body.

how is your dog related to the black and red show dog that you obsessed about?

that first picutre in your other thread shows a pup in rough shape .

if that is direct from the "breeder" I fail to see qualtiy care.

you must be doing something right because in your hands the dog does look improved.

I had some thoughts about the hips.

If he were my dog I would x ray , now, so that you take take action to get the best
outcome under the circumstances, .

if you want a video would be helpful and then the conformation can be related to the
dogs movement .

If that black and red dog is your dogs sire (DNA?) I would send a picture of your dog to them.

I just have doubts all round .

The dog deserves love and care and all the best of things .
Do not get me wrong on that.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
The only way to diagnose hip dysplasia is through xray. If he’s not showing any pain or stiffness, or difficulties in getting up after resting, I’d let him grow a bit and then get xrays if you are still concerned. 5 months is a bit young to really be able to tell anything, unless the hips are absolutely terrible.

If it’s any consolation, many dogs that are technically dysplastic never show any signs of it. My boy has mild hip dysplasia and he has no restrictions to his activity.
I agree that HD is not a death sentence. I had a dog with what my vet described as the worst hips he had ever seen. She was active to a ripe old age and showed only sporadic issues that were easily handled. It depends a lot on the dog itself and the care it receives.
Take any advice Carmen will provide and follow it. I wish I had "known" her years ago.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not able to give you any information but those on here who would be able to give you any advice will want a video of your pup walking from the side. I hope that isn't the case and good luck with everything!
Thank you! I appreciate it 🙂

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

This definitely eased my mind a lot! Do you have any recommendations on how to lessen the likelihood of his developing hip dysplaysia? I know that a lot can be done in the puppy stages to help. Also I have read conflicting responses on what age X-rays should be done. What age do you recommend? Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I’m doing everything right by my pup 🙂

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
please take this in the right spirit.

Iam in no way being negative on you, proud and excited owner , and I am
in no way , no way at all , being negative on the dog who has responsibilty in this.

I advocate FOR the dog .

Too many , way too many , pups with similar problems - all public and on this forum
in different locations , but "related" lines coming up with the same conformaton which
challenges the dog , preventing them from the joy of a normal body.

how is your dog related to the black and red show dog that you obsessed about?

that first picutre in your other thread shows a pup in rough shape .

if that is direct from the "breeder" I fail to see qualtiy care.

you must be doing something right because in your hands the dog does look improved.

I had some thoughts about the hips.

If he were my dog I would x ray , now, so that you take take action to get the best
outcome under the circumstances, .

if you want a video would be helpful and then the conformation can be related to the
dogs movement .

If that black and red dog is your dogs sire (DNA?) I would send a picture of your dog to them.

I just have doubts all round .

The dog deserves love and care and all the best of things .
Do not get me wrong on that.
The show dog in my first thread is my dog’s sire. Yes, a DNA test was provided to confirm this. The first picture in my first thread was taken two days after I brought the puppy home from the breeder. I just want to know why you consider him being in rough shape? The picture was taken at a groomer’s and it was his first bath. He definitely was terrified if that’s what your referring to but, other than that he looks perfect (imo). I will do everything I can while he’s still a puppy to ensure that his likelihood of developing hip dysplasia is minimal. Also how do I post a video on here ??

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I agree that HD is not a death sentence. I had a dog with what my vet described as the worst hips he had ever seen. She was active to a ripe old age and showed only sporadic issues that were easily handled. It depends a lot on the dog itself and the care it receives.
Take any advice Carmen will provide and follow it. I wish I had "known" her years ago.
Thank you so much for this post! This has really helped calm me down. I don’t plan to breed my puppy so, it’s not like he needs perfect hips. As long as he is able to play/ jump around and have full use of his back legs than I’ll be ok. I feel as if I’m very misinformed about hip dysplasia. What comes to mind when I think of it is a dog barely able to move/ dragging his back legs behind him. No one wants this for their dog so, I will definitely follow Carmen’s advice and I hope I get a lot of it. 🙂

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I said the dog looked to be in rough shape because he was in rough shape.
Not your fault . As you say , you had him only two days.
I also said I put the blame on the breeder.

The additional information that the dog was at the groomers, wet , and
terrified? -- The dog looks sunk . Exptession . Physical cover .

But this thread is about the hips.
The only way to come up with a definitive proclamation is through a x ray
evaluation.

BUT you feel there is something wrong.

I thought there was "something" wrong by the way the dog sits, tripods his
rear when standing , supports his weight in the one side view picture.

How in the world did we manage before x rays ?

do an x ray . Get the views for hips, spine (dog laying on side) , and elbows. May
as well.

then go back to the breeder and let them know.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
This definitely eased my mind a lot! Do you have any recommendations on how to lessen the likelihood of his developing hip dysplaysia? I know that a lot can be done in the puppy stages to help. Also I have read conflicting responses on what age X-rays should be done. What age do you recommend? Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I’m doing everything right by my pup 🙂
If it is going to eat away at you, just get them now, as Carmen suggested. No sense in wondering “what if” for a month or two. I would assume you couldn’t get a completely accurate final rating at this age, but again, if there is something fairly severe, at least you will know. I’ve seen people wait until 6 months, at the earliest, unless there was a sign that there was something really wrong when the dog was younger than that. To be fair, most people I know who do early xrays are either getting them done for sport, or breeding in the future, so they know what their young prospect is looking like. Most don’t have any suspicion that there is a a problem. It sounds like you are doing what you can on your end. The rest would be genetics, and how he was raised before you got him.

I’m largely unfamiliar with the structure of WGSL puppies as they grow, as I’ve only had WL puppies, and the other GSD I am around are also mostly WL dogs. The structure is very different. There is one girl in my training group with a
WGSL dog, who I have known since he was about 6 months old. He was, and still is, pretty cow hocked, and has a slight roach in his back, but his hips are fine despite these things.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same exact concern with my pup. Right now the only thing you can do is wait to see. You will be able to tell around 1 year as per my vet.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi everyone ! I recently got my first purebred GSD puppy and I absolutely love him. One of my biggest concerns with getting a GSD was the possibility that I would get a pup with hip dysplaysia. I made sure to get a pup from a reputable breeder. He provided me with the documentation that showed that both his father and mother had good hips. He also gave me documentation on the rest of my pups lineage that showed that all of the dogs had good hips. He told me that hip dysplaysia is caused by genetics and other environmental factors. So, I make sure to not let my pup jump too much and over exercise him. However, I noticed that when my puppy runs (he will be 5 months old on 09/21/2018) he bunny hops. When he runs it’s usually in short bursts and then he lies down shortly after. He never cries during/ after exercise so he doesn’t seem to be in pain... Another concern I have is that he also can’t jump up into the car. He is able to lift himself up halfway with his front legs on the seat but, refuses to reach his legs up to climb on. Is it normal for an almost 5 month old puppy to not be able to jump up onto things? I also noticed that he is cow hocked and does the lazy puppy sit, which I’m told is normal? A couple of days after I got him I took him to the vet and she said that from what she can tell his hips look fine. However, an X-ray is obviously needed for confirmation. She also advised me to start giving him glucosamine supplements, which I have been doing. I have attached a couple of pictures of him sitting and his stance. This is my first puppy, as every other dog I’ve had was aalready over a year old when I brought them home. I’m just really worried and it breaks my heart to think that he could have hip dysplaysia. Any thoughts/ comments would really help ease my mind! Thanks in advance.

I have no close relation to a any pup with hip dysplasia (diagnosed) myself. But some friends have had pups with it from a young age, but really awful hips, cause their pups showed some pain and an extremely "bunny" jump while moving before 5 months...

On the other hand my pup has parents with good hips, yet he did struggle to go up in the car when he was around 4 to 5 months (he had just survived parvo though), and it seemed like his jumping was not enough haha (mainly in my parents car cause it is higher), half his body did not always made it, but we would help him out, in fact those were the first time he was trying to do it himself and out of notice for us, since we would usually carry him in arms (huge for us though haha, they would laugh at the vet). But now at almost 8 months he manages to jump into the car nicely and with no problems. We do try to avoid that he jumps, but I am not gonna lie, he loves it now. With the running I would not be able to see something weird, I have never really allowed him to run much (and honestly I am not a good runner myself). I am still worried myself for hip dysplasia, but I try not to think about it, care for his weight, and will run the proper tests eventually but not now (we will not breed him), and his vets look at him nicely.

I think you should wait for X-rays to say it. Your pup is quite young. In my opinion, I meant I do not have the knowledge of some people here.

By the way, your puppy and his father in the pictures from the other thread are really handsome.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Unfortunately you are not alone.
That is what fires my ire .

Owners who honestly love their pet and do the best that they can ,
worried , and dogs who have to deal with the consequences of their
conformation .

check out some recent and current threads. Horrifying Roach Backs
Weak Hind Leg , this https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/746889-5-month-american-show-line-walking-funny.html

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/745162-puppy-hindlegs-look-werid.html

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/735977-odd-walk.html

and there are others

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I put links to recent threads all together in the above post so that you can see
the experience of people in the same situation.

some have videos . Most seem to be about the same age as yours.

now there is a thread with a 6 month old with x rays to look at to help understand
what might be going on

you can PM the original posters in those links , find out how they are doing , what they
are doing , what is helpful , and breeder's interest or not.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi everyone ! Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. I got his hip X-rays done a week ago here in Italy and I wanted to know what you guys think. The breeder said the vet didn’t do a good job with the positioning but, i was wondering if anything can be seen in this x rays?

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Oops forgot to attach the X-ray lol
These rads are not diagnostic quality for a DX of HD. I would ask for them to be repeated at no cost. His legs shoukd be straight, he shoukd be level on his back. He is all twisted.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oops forgot to attach the X-ray lol
These rads are not diagnostic quality for a DX of HD. I would ask for them to be repeated at no cost. His legs shoukd be straight, he shoukd be level on his back. He is all twisted.
So even if he had really really bad hips i wouldn’t be able to tell? I was hoping that I could get something out of these x rays . I’m leaving Italy in two weeks so, I’m just gonna get them done at my regular vet back in the states.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts