German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently (in the past few days) adopted a WGSD from a rescue. I also recently (in the past few weeks) lost a GSx to cancer. So needless to say I am being a bit of a helicopter parent. I took my dog to the vet to establish a 'medical home' and had them do x-rays of his hips, she said that his right looked fine but that his left was a little iffy (so far he has shown no signs, I just wanted to know for my own info). Now I have looked at some pictures on this forum and from what I can see I don't think his look nearly as bad, but I was kinda in shock, so I am not sure (I will post them here when I get them from her). IF he does indeed have HD, does anyone know if there is any pet insurance that will cover him?

·
Registered
31,576 Posts
probably not now that the xrays have been taken and he has a diagnosis. Some do though. If you do a search on the forum, you should find thread on pet insurances.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Yeah, you had to get insurance first and then take the x-rays. Most insurances will consider any problems with hips to be a pre-existing condition from now on.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
figures, dang it all to heck anyway. I guess now I just get to hope that it doesn't progress. When I get the x-rays I will post them here and get input as well

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dogs can live a good life some even with severe HD. Every case is different. Dogs with mild hd can be worked hard without issues . I have seen it many times,

·
Registered
31,576 Posts
Jax has mild HD. She only displays discomfort when being examined. Otherwise, she's a maniac that keep going thru torn acl's and pulled groin muscles. Unless he's showing signs of pain, I wouldn't get to concerned. Keep his muscles strong with swimming and low impact exercise and start him on fish oil for arthritis and joint supplements.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts