German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our pup has had the nasty habit of always sticking either one or two paws in the water dish every time he goes to get a drink. It doesnt matter if it is outside or inside, he will still do it. After a short period of time, he dumps the water dish over on purpose. I have tried to correct this, but I think he interprets it as me not allowing him to drink. What would be the correct way to fix this.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
We have had this issue with Emma from day one at 8 weeks old...We are still dealing with it...We are going to get a stand that holds the bowls up from the floor so she can't keep putting her paw in the water and getting it everywhere.

Here's one of her "busted" photo's from knocking it over time and time again. This was taken several months ago in the dark....

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Not sure why pups stick their paws in the water. It is either that or they carry a mouthful away from the bowl and drip it everywhere. LOL

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Shya doesn't do it but Chevy was notorious for putting a paw in the dish while he drank and then eventually, dragging the dish all over with the water still in it! He's grown out of that "stage" though they are both sloppy when drinking and get the water all over the floor anyways

·
Registered
411 Posts
my boy used to do this all the time with his downstairs H2O which wasn't on a stand. A food stand helped and in fact almost stopped this behavior completely. It makes it awkward for him to "wash" his feet.

they also make really wide "non tip" bowls for feeding lots of puppies that might work if you're opposed to the food stands.

My friend has a bullmastiff who's a compulsive h2o flipper (always has been since he was stumbling goofy wrinkly little pup) and he bought a really big wide stainless steel bowl and flipped it over then put some concrete in it let the concrete set. Now he's made three of them to put around his house. they're really heavy after the concrete sets, so they are kind of a pain to move and refill but they don't get flipped on his hardwood floors anymore.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We have one of those bowls that has a 5 gallon reservoir of water to keep it filled. Needless to say, even Spartan isn't strong enough to dump that over!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts