German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chance is a real people kind of dog. He loves attention and he loves to meet new people.

Today I was on a walk with Chance and my little brother had one of our Chihuahuas and our little Pekingese/Pomeranian mix. We're walking up the road and these people walk by and are like "Aww! Chihuahua!" and start petting Jocko and Zoey. Chance starts pulling (We were standing behind my brother and the other 2 dogs) and tries to come up to the people and they pull away and I told Chance to get back into a heel so he does and they continue petting the little dogs. So Chance is getting frustrated that nobody is paying attention to him and starts to bark. The kid comments about how Chance scares him. I tried to explain that he's just a puppy and that he wont bite, he just barks but they continued to love on the little dogs and ignore him. As they walked past us when they were done, they walked right near the little dogs but backed away from Chance.

I took the walk because I was upset and that just made things worse because Chance had such a confused look on his face as to why they wouldn't pet him too! Chance stood within like 2 feet (if that) of these people the whole time on a loose leash, if he wanted to hurt you he would and could have very easily done so. Truth is, Zoey and Jocko WOULD bite. Chance wouldn't. My little brother even warned them that Zoey bites if you get in her face (Which they were getting pretty darn close) when they started petting her. (Without asking might I add...)

Poor baby just wanted some love too!

Anyone else with little dogs ever ran into this problem??

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Believe it or not but I actually had the opposite reaction when I took my two chis and Shilo to our local mutt march. Everyone basically ignored the little dogs and were all about Shilo.

But I understand where you are coming from, when we lived in Illinois most people would see us walking and they would cross the street to get away from her. She is not an aggressive dog but people have stereo types when it comes to GSDs.

I would just give Chance a little extra loving tonight and maybe an extra treat or two.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
I would have gone straight for Chance.
poor baby

·
Registered
238 Posts
Poor baby. We just had a similar experience the other day. I take Stella (mixed) and CJ for walks seperately because of our busy road but they can still see each other. CJ went first that day and no problems but also no attention from neighbors, some even walked away. Stella up next and no problems but attention from neighbors. CJ jumped at the fence and barked. One neighbor commented to her husband "see I told you". At that point I told them that Stella actually was more likely to bite them and if they can't give CJ attention also don't bother with either. Bye, Bye neighbor!
My husband and I were talking the other day about how people have such a sterotype of GSD but will allow their kids to approach a Police GSD with no problems which boggles my mind. Granted GS are big and are always on guard but all breeds can bite and to this day I have been bitten by 4 smaller breed dogs and not one large breed dog (knock on wood) and they were all mine.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
When I would walk Bailey (gsd) and Buddy (nongsd small mutt) I would actually turn people away who only wanted to pet and give attention to Buddy. Even if they were in the middle of petting him and then moved away from Bailey. I would tell them that thats enough and we have to go now.

Pet both or none was my motto. Same thing I teach my kids, you pay attention to all of the dogs unless the dog doesnt want you to or you are given specific instrustions by the dogs owner.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted By: GSDLVR76I would just give Chance a little extra loving tonight and maybe an extra treat or two.
Yeah, we spent a few hours last night on the bed. I had a book and he had a large bone to chew. He ended up passing out with his head on my chest.
So much for being a monster.

A lot of people have been very interested in Chance. It seems only people in my neighborhood are the people who think he's mean or something even though he's never done anything.
If we go to the pet store or something though, I've got lots of people asking to pet him and stuff. Maybe more people think he's Neko than I thought? (Nekos my neighbors GSD puppy...While Neko is a good boy, people are terrified of my neighbors Pittie. Everyone thinks she's mean and stuff (And she's not) and so I guess they think Neko's mean too. =/ I've had 2 people ask me if I lived at their house when they saw Chance, thinking he was Neko. Only thing I can think of.)

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Originally Posted By: Chance's Mom
Originally Posted By: GSDLVR76I would just give Chance a little extra loving tonight and maybe an extra treat or two.
Yeah, we spent a few hours last night on the bed. I had a book and he had a large bone to chew. He ended up passing out with his head on my chest.
So much for being a monster.
A monster with that face come on now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts