German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend Kratos was at his first CKC dog show, and during that time we enjoyed it. He is not vacc. against bordatella because honestly I find the lack of strains it protects against to be like the human flu shot (which I refuse to get). Thus when we noticed he started to cough...Well parts of my brain went 'I TOLD you so'.

The poor baby now has a runny nose and a cough that is not wet. We are taking him into the vet on Friday. Funny enough both my husband and I are suffering from a similar cold, coughing and running nose. The vet tech stated that dogs can't get human colds (its just irony at its best).

They said there wasn't much to do to help the poor guy until we get him in. He's eating, not as much as he would normally but he is eating, drinking and passing his wastes normally.

Any suggestions as to help him would be wonderful. I know as humans we take vitamin c, and generally eat more garlicy things to help with a cold.

BTW: They instantly said it was Kennel cough, but reading online it sounds more like a Dog Influenza to me, and they're just blaming Kennel Cough because they REALLY want me to vaccine against it.

What're you two cents?

P.S. Once again I AM taking him into the vet this week, on Friday when the appointments were open, we are NOT letting this just go rampant on the poor little guy. If it gets worse we WILL take him into an emergency vet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sorry your baby isn't feeling well. Is there another trusted vet you can take him to? I guess for me I'd want to find a new one if they're already convinced it's one thing, or if they seemed too pushy.
I understand how you're feeling though, our girl had a rash in her ear and we had to wait through the weekend for her appointment. We tried reaching other friends trusted vets but they were booked too. Thankfully for us all turned out well and she is doing great again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was the technician not the vet herself. I'm going to talk to the vet about what I feel it is, and if I'm unimpressed I will re-evaluate my relationship with her. Its just frustrating because Kennel cough doesn't have a runny nose associated with it (according to what I've researched).

I just wish when I had asked if there was something I could do to help him before they would have given me an answer like "give him orange juice!" I mean come on when you call up the health line and ask for advice for a cold in a child they suggest so MUCH before going to a doctor. Of course its always with the clause "we are not registered doctors blah blah blah". Ugh.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I am not a vet, but did allot of reading about this. Many dogs don't need to even go to the vet and they usually get over it in about a week or so. It's a virus so just like humans there is no cure it's a cold/flu. There are recommendation to call the vet if it lasts more than a week. =) I am sure your baby will be fine! keep us updated!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hubby says I'm over reacting LOL He's like "we're sick so he's sick! give him some of your chicken noodle soup!" He figures if the dog isn't vomitting, or dieing or showing signs that he's HORRIBLY ill he'll get over it. I'm going to keep my appointment but may cancel it IF he starts to get back slowly or shows no signs of being sicker yet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My 11 week old puppy is currently suffering too, he's been heaving and bringing up watery bile. We went to the vet and she thinks its kennel cough CAUSED by the vaccine they gave him against it! Irony huh? I've paid for my puppy to get sick! I'm not sure that's what it is though because I haven't heard him coughing! We've been told to wait till Friday and if he's better he can have his second vacs. If he's not then we do tests! I hope your pup gets well soon, my boyfriend is just as unconcerned as your husband. I know how you're feeling, we can't help but worry!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aw Sheri, I'm sorry that you're going through that. Its part of the reason we opted out of the vaccine, I've read so many articles of the more harm it causes compared to benefits (as well as articles saying the other.) It was a concious choice for us, and we stand by it. I hope your puppy is feeling better, our baby is on bedrest and basically I'm treating him like an infant with a cold (checking for fevers and lots of fluids).

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Hubby says I'm over reacting LOL He's like "we're sick so he's sick! give him some of your chicken noodle soup!" He figures if the dog isn't vomitting, or dieing or showing signs that he's HORRIBLY ill he'll get over it. I'm going to keep my appointment but may cancel it IF he starts to get back slowly or shows no signs of being sicker yet.
when Z got the vaccine he had a reaction to it and was coughing. I have to say that because this is my first puppy, hearing that cough for the first time was terrifying.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I have two with kennel cough. One was almost over it when he got to my house and the other one got it within a week. She had only the cough, but I took her in and she is on antibiotics. After 2 days on the antibiotics she isn't coughing anymore. I did give her vitamin c the same day I took her to the vet and the vet said that I shouldn't give anymore. I still won't get the bordatella shot.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kratos is doing much better today! His cough is a lot milder and less frequent (and perhaps related to the depth to which he shoves his bone down his throat...weird dog). And his nose is back to moist but not goopy runny! Man I wish I had his immune system!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts