German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Bear - 8.5 mo old male GSD & 5 cats - Benny (6), Nani (6), Kingston (6), Rigby (4) and Hazel (3)
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I haven't been on here too much lately and things have been great with 8.5 month old Bear. I haven't needed any advice! He's a great dog! (Other than being a butt head every now and then but hey, who isn't? ; ) ) My question is, the last couple weeks or so we've noticed Bear has been pooping on our driveway. We have 3 acres of land so it certainly isn't a space issue! My only guess is since it's been really rainy we haven't been mowing often so maybe he doesn't like the tall grass? But the grass has certainly been long before and he wasn't doing this until now. Just wondering if anyone has any insight?

And of course some gratuitous photos of my sweet boy...

"Can we go for a ride Mom?! I'll drive!"
20210709_171847.jpg

"Ahhhh..."
20210704_145902.jpg

Bear hanging with friends at our 4th of July party. Our first big get together with Bear and he did great.
20210704_161022.jpg

"Mom, are you ok in there?"
20210629_212619.jpg

Bear and my son enjoying "the great yard flood of 2021"...
Snapchat-522041473.jpg

Maxin' and relaxin'
Snapchat-50899198.jpg

"This is my serious face"
Snapchat-1861422206.jpg

Precious cargo.
Snapchat-275160251.jpg

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Great pictures. He is a good-looking boy!

But no, i don' t know why he would choose to poop on the driveway of all places!
I agree, maybe he doesn't feel as secure in the tall grass (limited visiblity when squatting, so maybe he feels vulnerable) or maybe he pooped on driveway once, and now thinks of it as "his potty place"?

You could try mowing down a patch of the grass and seeing if he will poop there...

·
Registered
424 Posts
If there's a mailbox or landscaping at the end of your drive and other animals urinate when they pass, he could just be marking over their scent. My male Collie is so contrary that I can't walk him anytime right after eating. He will wait until he gets a block down the road and poop in my neighbor's street area, right in front of their driveway. They have a male Collie as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,218 Posts
could be the long grass, could be that it’s wet and muddy, maybe there are some stray pieces left behind or it smells to him. a couple of my dogs have avoided heavily soiled / saturated places. might have pooped in the driveway once by chance, then realized it’s nicer than dealing with {insert the turn off}.

·
Registered
924 Posts
That is one fine looking pup. I have no idea either but lemme tell you about Billy Bob. He was a big black lab we adopted, we found him banging his happy tail on that metal cage in Petsmarts adoption section. He came from a local Humane Society. They named him Billy Bob, presumably because he was dumb as a bag of hammers. Billy Bob was a guy's party dog. The party started when he woke up and ended when he finally fell asleep at night. He was a slob. He belched, he passed gas, he threw up (is that cool or what?), he drooled, food all over the floor, and he loved hanging with the guys but wasn't all that fond of females. And he pooped right outside the door, on the patio, in the driveway, wherever he happened to be at the time. He was housebroken and a great walker but had absolutely no manners whatsoever. Be grateful it's outside.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I first moved into my new home, my dogs did their business on the driveway because the grass was too high. Now that the grass is cut the GSD will use the grass but the Min Pin still prefers the driveway. Maybe now it's a preference. I personally have added it to the list of things to not stress about because it's still where it counts--outside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts