German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend and I adopted a beautiful 8 month German Shepherd from a shelter. She was found as a stray. She must have been trained a little by her past owner bc she knows how to stay, sit, shake, and lay down. She is the sweetest girl and only barks when nervous by new people coming into our home or someone at the door. We’ve had her for about 6 days now. She was great all weekend, but once it was time for us to go back to work and her having to be in her crate for that time period. We have come home to poop in her crate.. my boyfriend was gone for 3 hours today and he came home again to poop in her crate and the whole house wreaking of poop.. were at a lost at what to do at this point. We let her out as soon as we wake up, let her eat, let her out again and make sure she poops outside and yet still poops in crate. I’m not sure if she’s stressed or maybe stomach hurts??

·
Registered
368 Posts
What do you feed her? How big is your crate? If it's too large she may think she can poop in one side of it. Are the stools solid or soft? Does the dog get stressed in the crate or when you are gone?

It could be a learned bad habit. It could be due to stress.You might need to desensitize her by leaving her in crate and coming back every 30 minutes or something to build her up getting used to being alone.

What does your daily schedule look like and how long does she get outside?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you feed her? How big is your crate? If it's too large she may think she can poop in one side of it. Are the stools solid or soft? Does the dog get stressed in the crate or when you are gone?

It could be a learned bad habit. It could be due to stress.You might need to desensitize her by leaving her in crate and coming back every 30 minutes or something to build her up getting used to being alone.

What does your daily schedule look like and how long does she get outside?
We just finished a small bag of science diet the shelter gave us to feed her until we switch her to our other dogs food, which is purina plus.

I’m not sure how big the crate is but it’s big enough to where she can stand up and lay down but not too much space, she did poop on one side of the crate but ended up stomping around and getting it all over the crate at that point. The stool is mostly solid.

She doesn’t seem stressed when we put her in the crate, we persuade her in the crate w/ a treat and she goes in with no problem. Once we leave the room and close the door and heading out she starts to whine a little. We have another dog and she’s almost two and we’re able to leave her out of the crate no problem and trust her all around the house, we just want our German Shepherd in a separate room so it doesn’t seem like we’re teasing her if our other dog is out and she isn’t.

At the moment my boyfriend is at home most of the day while I’m gone from 7-4pm. He is able to take her out a lot throughout the day, the problem is we don’t have a full fenced in back yard at the house we’re renting. So she has to be on a leash bc we can’t trust her yet like our other dog who can roam around the backyard with no problem. Plus the day we got her from the shelter they said she got spayed the day before and could not run around just yet and couldn’t go on walks until she healed up.

Like you said in your previous message about desensitizing her for 30 minutes to build her up. When we first got her we put her in her crate and we’re kinda testing how she did while we ran some errands in our neighborhood for 45 min or so and she did great no problem. Then my boyfriend put her in the crate on tues. and was gone for 4 hours and she pooped. Then today he was gone for 2 or 3 and she pooped again. I just want to get her on the right track bc soon will both be gone for 9 hours or so during the week and we can’t be coming home to poop every night! Lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
View attachment 557499

Go back to the start like she is a pup....Pay special attention to the "is puppy a double pooper"
[/W

We take her out when she wakes up, after she eats or drinks, after shes done playing with our other dog. Before we leave (even if we just took her out 20 min before then). It seems like she has a hard time when she’s trying to poop. I can see she’s trying, but nothings happening. So that could be why. But I’ll have to watch her and see if she’s a “double pooper” now and see if that could be a problem as well.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My older pup freaked out when pup in a crate. He pooped or peed within seconds of the door closing. The jumped around in a panicked frenzy trying not to get his feet dirty. if it is stress-related your dog's stress seems lower then Ole's.

For a few weeks, I tossed random handfuls of kibble into the crate. I never shut the door. Over time this seemed to counter condition the negative emotions he felt towards the crate.

Then, even when I was home and awake, I tried to have pup take a couple of naps per day in his crate. They usually follow a busy play or training session. I generally sit in a chair right next to the crate to work on my laptop. The naps started short, only a couple of minutes. Now they can last a couple of hours.

The goal was to turn the create from a doggy jail he has to go when left alone.... into a safe and comfortable place he likes to be. Most evenings after his last potty break and he is tired of playing, he just walks into his crate and goes to sleep.

I have tried blankets, towels, and bedding in the crate. For some reason, he likes the hard plastic liner best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts