German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since switching Jake to grain free (instinct)I have noticed he seems to want to eat only about 2-3 cups a day(I supplement with leftovers -liver-cottage cheese in small amounts and ground veggies)about another cup per day.He appears to have lost some weight but mostly in gut area (great hourglass shape)and his volume of poo is cut at LEAST in half.Is decreased appetite and poop volume normal when grain is cut out?All seems OK but he seems to drink a little more.Energy high coat good no itching.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Skye is on grain free food and she gets just under 3 cups a day (and yes, small poops.) She is a slow eater and seems to be full on that amount. Coat is great and shedding minimal this year.

My dogs don't get daily food supplements since I feel they are getting what they need from the food. I do sometimes give yogurt with the food for the good bacteria.

Does your dog apper to be skinny, or just leaner? Picture?

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dog does not seem to be foodie.Works more for tugs/toy than food rewards.Why I switched to grain free was he was becoming really itchy and leaving /refusing meals.Right now on grain free I feed about 1 and half cups twice a day with small amounts (half to 1 cup-veggie dairy whatever available)people food.anything not eaten in half an hour is discarded and next meal is reduced by amount left at previous meal and increased by quarter cup at next meal if he eats all.He does NOT appear hungry no counter surfing -garbage seeking -or coveting my meal .I am very happy at his new lean appearance and shiny coat.He is now 82 lbs and 28 inches at shoulder.Loss of about 6 lbs in a month-not hungry looks great to me but a lot of people seem to think he looks 'thin'.No pics sorry -will try to enter pic posting world soon but the bugger is soo averse to pics!!

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
When I switched Dante to Wellness Core from Timberwolf Elk and Salmon I had to cut his food back, he added an extra layer of "fluff" in a short time.
Eats less, poops less

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
How active is Jake? My bag of Instinct says that a 51-100 lb dog should eat 2.5-4 cups of food per day.

My 40 lb, average in activity dog eats 1 -1.25 cups of food of Instinct per day. Some days, she walks away from her bowl and leaves food behind.

Seems to me that unless your dog is incredibly active, 3 cups is probably exactly right for him. Instinct has a high protein level (35% turkey/duck & rabbit formulas, 42% chicken) and a high percentage of fat (22% minimum). It's really high in calories compared to a lot of foods (462-490 cals per cup depending on formula), even compared to some premium foods. My guess is that he's probably getting sufficient calories. Unless you see other problems, I personally wouldn't worry too much about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts