German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased some chew able pills for my 13 week old pup to try and eliminate this odd desire to snack on his poop.

My theory is that he eats his food so fast that he can still smell undigested food in his feces and this is causing the issue.. I'm sure i'm wrong though..

Can anyone shed some light on how to stop this?

This is causing my pup to have ungodly horrible breath that lasts even hours after i brush them..

:help::help::help:

·
Registered
577 Posts
I purchased some chew able pills for my 13 week old pup to try and eliminate this odd desire to snack on his poop.

My theory is that he eats his food so fast that he can still smell undigested food in his feces and this is causing the issue.. I'm sure i'm wrong though..

Can anyone shed some light on how to stop this?

This is causing my pup to have ungodly horrible breath that lasts even hours after i brush them..

:help::help::help:
The minute he's gone poo, pick it up! Then he won't eat it! :)

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Answer is above. Forget the theories. Some dogs just like to eat poop and there is not much you can do about it but remove the temptation.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Stella ate her poo when she was a baby, it was simply a race to get to it first ! I always kept a bag in my pocket to clean it up! She did stop on her own I think she was helping me clean. So basically I was always on watch and with a noise as soon as she pooped to get her attention away from the poop I would swoop in and clean.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny I thought about adding "I always pick up the poop, except for when i let them play in the backyard while i am busy" to my original comment but didnt lol...

Nothing like opening the back door and in comes the pup darting to the bedroom with a little stink treat.

I really hope he grows out of it..

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
My little treasure tries too. He is the first dog I've ever had that does this :(

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
It has been my experience with my poop eater that you can train your dog not to eat her feces in front of you, but I would not trust her to refrain if I was not present. Your best defense is to feed on a schedule so you can predict when your dog will need to poop, and only allow unsupervised play when you know your dog's empty. :)

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I agree with all of the above. No remedies worked for my dog (tried them ALL) other than picking up immediately. One thing that helps is that I use Prozyme to aid in digestion. She has mostly outgrown it, but not 100%.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I've found that my puppy only tries to eat it if she had an accident and didn't want me to find it:) She got rid of the evidence!!! Now that she is doing better with potty training she does not attempt to hide anything

·
Registered
433 Posts
I agree when Stella was little the only evidence of a poop inside the house when she got out of my view was the lingering odour !! It was like quick get rid of the evidence she will never know !!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
:poop:
My 7 month old pup ate her poop this morning, in my living room, so you let me know when you find a cure!
Less for you to clean up. She was just being considerate. :crazy:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bring out the doggy tooth brush when I receive stinky kisses.. Its a good thing too.. when i pull his check back to brush his teeth its like a little kid snacking on brownies.. yuck..

·
Registered
457 Posts
Funny I thought about adding "I always pick up the poop, except for when i let them play in the backyard while i am busy" to my original comment but didnt lol...

Nothing like opening the back door and in comes the pup darting to the bedroom with a little stink treat.

I really hope he grows out of it..
I do find most puppies will sample poop at some point. But they will only grow out of it if you don't let it become a habit. So if you do not stop this soon by never letting it happen he will not grow out of it.

No reason for the puppy to be out unsupervised. I went out into the yard with my puppy every time (and I literally mean every time) until he was about 8 months old. This was so I could prevent bad habits such as digging in the garden, chewing on plants, chewing on the wood of the deck, etc, etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My pup (4mths) also loves to eat his own poop.....never quite understand why they seem to love it so much lol. But since 9wks whenever he is going outside for toilet time im right there with him and clean it up straight away, he still tries to get to it before me sometimes...but I'm hoping that he will stop this rather discusting (in my opinion not his!!) habit one day x

·
Registered
18 Posts
Glad I am not the only one this happens to! Our puppy, Elektra has been eating our cat's poop! Elektra is 8 weeks old. We have noticed a pattern too whenever she sneaks to the cats litter box she always takes the poop to the same place! The dining room! lol She hides under the table. We have been working on it with her and of course we'd like to move the litter box but the cat is already having a difficult time adjusting to the new puppy as it is and we want her to still feel at home and have her stuff where it already was. Any tips on this?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Current puppy does this, and I had a foster years ago that did it. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing works except picking it up right away. And then, when you see them turning around to check it out, give a correction/command (leave it). My 15 week old is still tempted but she looks at me first because she is starting to understand that I will be pissed if she chomps on it, lol.

·
Registered
972 Posts
OP is your puppy always hungry? I only ask pecs use I now dogs like to snack on poop but you might want to check for giardia. It's a bacteria that pretty much eats the food out of their intestines and the dog is always hungry and eats poop hoping to get something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OP is your puppy always hungry? I only ask pecs use I now dogs like to snack on poop but you might want to check for giardia. It's a bacteria that pretty much eats the food out of their intestines and the dog is always hungry and eats poop hoping to get something.

Thats hard to tell, doesnt all dogs always seem hungry? When i rescued him he was very skinny and after a month is still very skinny. When i put food in front of him he acts like he has never eaten before..

This makes me worry now.. :(

·
Banned
187 Posts
My mom had a hot friend when I was a teenager. She was a "liberated" woman and a professor at a good university. She always had funny stories, which I would listen to, while staring at the front of her low cut dress. :D

One day she was making fried tempura vegetables, wherein you make a batter, dip the veggies in it and fry it. Her (then) 3 month daughter pooped, she cleaned, got back in the kitchen.

Noticed a bit of yellowish "batter" on her forearm. She licked it clean.

Then she realized it tasted "different".

And yeah, once one of my cousins ate his poop as a kid.

Dogs eat poop, their own, and that of others. Just remove the temptation or the dog from the 'crime' scene. LOL.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts