German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how bad is the GSD poop size? i dont have big back yard, in fact i have patio.
Is this gonna be a red flag?
Please! share your thoughts!

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
If you clean up after your dog daily, it us manageable. I have a small townhouse backyard that I clean every other day. Not a big deal.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have a smallish backyard and the food I have him on gives him small poops for his size.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
......and to avoid your pup developing a habit of 'grab n go' snacks, you'll want to keep it picked up anyhow.

Seriously tho, the quality of food you feed your pup will have a lot to do with amount he /she puts out.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
......and to avoid your pup developing a habit of 'grab n go' snacks, you'll want to keep it picked up anyhow.

Seriously tho, the quality of food you feed your pup will have a lot to do with amount he /she puts out.

Never has a truer thing been said. Grab-n-Go is a real issue for some dogs. Unfortunately, mine is one of them. She's better now, but with lower quality food, she was eating as much as she could for a second helping. I still have to clean up daily, as a soft pile is a tempting treat, but really, everyone benefits if you can take 5 mins a day to pick up the drops.

It's not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It all depends, just like everyone else said. On a good day, we can use a normal poo bag and be on our way. On a not so good day, a grocery bag. As for the smell...I feed BB and Finn doesn't put out a stink as bad as he used to. I'm not dabbing it behind my ears, yet I'm not contemplating digging a hole and burrying it with HAZMAT signs.

Now, if he gets a "fatty" treat (hubby loves to give him bits of raw chicken skin or some of the trimmings off a steak)...all bets are off. It all depends on what you feed, really.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
it doesn't matter what size your dog's poop area is. clean up
after your dog immediately. you have a patio, why would that
be a red flag? take your dog out often and go beyond your patio
for letting your dog have a place to poop. go for walks and go often.

how bad is the GSD poop size? i dont have big back yard, in fact i have patio.
Is this gonna be a red flag?
Please! share your thoughts!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a very big fenced in yard and I hate it because my older dog will go anywhere in the yard. Since I have a lot of trees it is very shady and gets really muddy and I hate walking across it to get the poo. So I have just started taking them out on at least 3 walks a day (usually 2 small one long) and I just pick it up as I go. Then I just let them out in the yard once unless it is extra muddy then it is another short walk or two. I have a ten gallon bucket that I put all the poop into and I empty the bucket twice a week on garbage days. I wouldn't worry about having a small yard. Just plan on taking your dog on a few walks a day.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
What do you mean, grocery bag? :eek::confused:
Sometimes, he gets these...massive...poos that I can't get into one bag doing the hand-in-the-bag trick. I carry a plastic grocery bag with me just in case I need to upgrade from one "handfull" to two or more.

He only does this when he hasn't pooped during the day for whatever reason and he goes out on a walk or training. I will never forget the sheer embarrasment when, at a SAR demo, he pooped so much, I had to use 3 poo bags to clean it all up.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My GSD had HUGE poops on Orijen dry kibble. Well formed, solid poos. Now that I've changed her to raw her poos aren't much bigger than rabbit poops. lol

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
When Fiona ate raw her poops were the size of cat poop and did not smell. On kibble, it is giant poops, teenage boy size and she is a girl. And do they stink. I live on 2nd floor condo and all I have is a balcony. She is really weird about where she will poop, usually only on the balcony or on grass at work. You will need to pick up ASAP. The smell of the urine is worse than the poop. Rinse down once a day at least. However, if you are trying to hide a dog, it won't be the poop that gives you away. Once it learns to bark, that will get you. Fiona learned at about 16 weeks, was nice and quiet back then.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
you know, the plastic bag you get when you're in line at the Supermarket
that used to bag your groceries. lol.
Yeah-- in my experience, that is big enough to accommodate a moose turd. :eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts