German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am slightly obsessed with Poop Management, in other words trying to keep my backyard and shoes and home poop-free. With my last GSD it was easy, we went for morning walks in a nearby park, he did his business, I bagged it and tossed it. No problem.

But with my new little girl, she was trained to do it in the backyard, which at first I liked (no more cold, wet or freezing early morning poop-walks). But the last winter made me a bit crazy managing all the poop in the snow or ice (shoveling it and surrounding snow into huge bags or scraping up the frozen ones) and now I am trying to keep up with the smears in the grass. I pick up as much as I can and cover the remaining smears with gardening dirt. Is that the best or should I try to spray the smears with something? And back to the topic of winters in snowy/icy areas, what do you guys do about managing the fresh or frozen poop?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I personally have a pooper scooper and a bucket. Poop bucket then gets emptied out twice a week with the trash. keeps everything pretty clean

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Same here. I'd rather have her going before our walk than having to pick up after her while on our walk.

Much easier to pick up in the yard.

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Fresh poop melts the snow so you can easily pick it up. I hold a shovel under his butt as soon as he bends his back so it doesn't even touch the grass. WD is a poop snacker so my yard has never been as clean since I had him.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
I hold a shovel under his butt as soon as he bends his back so it doesn't even touch the grass. WD is a poop snacker so my yard has never been as clean since I had him.
:rofl::wild:

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I am obsessed with my dogs having perfect poop...there is always one that isn't on board:( I hate picking it up when its raining, its mushy and not pretty. I love the winter because its easier to pick up if its frozen, not so much if there is snow and it sticks to the snow. Usually I pick it up right away, but if its snowing and not stopping, the poop sits until I can find it..that is usually a major clean up. I was so happy that we got a frost the other night, because I knew picking up the poop would be easier...I need to get a life;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am obsessed with my dogs having perfect poop.....I need to get a life;)
Me too. Winter was a mix for me, fresh or frozen stools in the snow was ok for cleanup with a shovel but I sometimes lost track of her piles after a few snowstorms so I knew I had many landmines waiting for me. And in March I had to deal with the mix of piles frozen in the ice or mushy piles in puddles of water. I just wish I could come up with a better solution than shoveling tons of snow and ice into bags. And for the spring/summer, I would like to get rid of the smears in the grass without dumping dirt on them.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
I'm not so much worried about the poop but about the pee. Sometimes I have up to ten dogs in the yard. Poop I can pick up, but the pee is a different issue. I can't pick that up and I'm worried that once it gets hot, it starts to smell.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
And for the spring/summer, I would like to get rid of the smears in the grass without dumping dirt on them.
I pray for rain at this time...it cleans up the smears nicely. If it doesn't rain, I bring a bucket out there and wash it away. A hose would be much easier, but I don't have access to that where I live.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
we are at the stage where the poop just kind of blobs so it makes it really hard to pick up. I am glad that roxy wants to go down the hill where we don't walk...but sometimes the late night ones are in the side yard ..and by morning those aren't able to be picked up.
We don't have little kids so that's a good thing or I'd be more diligent on picking it up.

So I'll take suggestions from anybody else who has a slightly less than firm poo to try and pick up.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
I have never tried this but find it fascinating:
Pet Waste-A-Way! ~ Liquifies The Waste Away!

Kind of like pureeing.
That looks like a "poopwhacker," LOL.
I would not want hundreds of pounds carnivore waste driven into my grass. Sounds like a biohazard and stink and illnesses waiting to happen.

I think WD's back end shovel method to be the best :rofl:

Luckily for me, I just hired a dog walker and Hans poops for her, so half of my problem is solved. :groovy:Now if I could hire someone for the evening poop...

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
So I'll take suggestions from anybody else who has a slightly less than firm poo to try and pick up.
This is what is going on with my newest one...I use buckets of water. In the end it still goes into the ground. I would think that it could be considered a fertilizer?

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Yeah, Lisa, but poo contains so many nasty bacteria, including e coli.
Don't mean to add to your anxiety about it, but... carnivore poo needs to be bagged and gotten rid of, as well as you can.

Have you tried the Now probiotic? Also, Olewo carrots?

·
Registered
874 Posts
her poos are getting much better..it's just once in awhile she'll have a less than firm poo and I make more of a mess trying to pick it up.

I might give the buckets of water thing a try. We have rain for the next 3 days so I will have to wait till that's over to do much of anything. Hopefully the rain will get rid of some of it. :(

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Yeah, Lisa, but poo contains so many nasty bacteria, including e coli.
Don't mean to add to your anxiety about it, but... carnivore poo needs to be bagged and gotten rid of, as well as you can.

Have you tried the Now probiotic? Also, Olewo carrots?
I'm probably going to have to move onto that:( The vet isn't to worried about it. He gave me the medicine and told me to add pumpkin to his food. So now I have orange clumps of poop:rolleyes: Every now and then we get a firm one, so I know he has it in him...What is that link again for Now? And where do you get Olewo carrots, a whole foods store? What do the carrots do for them?

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
We had great results when I began adding this:

Amazon.com: NOW Foods Probiotic-10 25 Billion, 50 Vcaps: Health & Personal Care

Dosage is one capsule with dinner. I started very slowly, with just a sprinkle.

OH! And do try this stuff. One bag lasts me a whole month. I put 6 or 7 pellets in warm water for about 10 minutes then add to his food. Check out my review on that site.

K9 Natural Raw Freeze-Dried Lamb Green Tripe Dog Food

Olewo carrots-- German product. We also use the beets.
Here ya go:

https://www.olewousa.com/

1 - 20 of 27 Posts