German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone. I've got a 7 1/2 old pup and ever since I've had him, he's been frequent in eating his own poop! And the frequency of this behavior differed with different kibbles. He has been regularly dewormed and is fed 3-4 cups of Taste of the wild puppy formula, and he will still eat his own poop sometimes. He's also a very small male at only 40-45 lb but seems to be in good physical condition, however, he is seeming a little more ribby than usual lately. Perhaps just a growth stage? Is it possible that he has a mild form of EPI as I've heard poop eating is a symptom, as well as slowed growth?

·
Registered
18 Posts
What’s the condition of his poop? My dog was eating his when he had worms because the food wasn’t being digested fully.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What’s the condition of his poop? My dog was eating his when he had worms because the food wasn’t being digested fully.
It's kind of pasty. Not too solid and dry. It usually has shape but it does leave residue. Sometimes he does have bouts of loose stool.

·
Super Moderator
18,673 Posts
You say he has been wormed. Has he been tested for Coccidia and Giardia? I had an issue with poop eating when one of my young dogs had Coccidia.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Our Wolfgang was a poop Connaisseur! Agree with Magwart - the only thing that truly worked was picking it up as soon as it dropped!

·
Registered
587 Posts
It's not uncommon but it's pretty gross. Pick it up immediately as others have said. It will stop, it's one of those puppy/adolescent things. Luckily my guy hasn't done this, but I had others that did and it stops. Frisco does like to smell his own pee and give it a lick or two before he moves on. He also loves to eat rabbit poop but that seems to be stopping or all the rabbits in my yard have been eaten by coyotes.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The only thing that stopped our dog from doing this was putting him on a raw diet. I think he was around 7 years old at that time. He had done this from the time he was a puppy, and we tried hard to pick up after him to prevent it. But he was quick and had to be watched like a hawk.

After we changed to raw feeding, the behavior stopped. My theory is that the food was so much more digested that there was nothing left in his stool to tempt him.

·
Registered
69 Posts
t
Hey, everyone. I've got a 7 1/2 old pup and ever since I've had him, he's been frequent in eating his own poop! And the frequency of this behavior differed with different kibbles. He has been regularly dewormed and is fed 3-4 cups of Taste of the wild puppy formula, and he will still eat his own poop sometimes. He's also a very small male at only 40-45 lb but seems to be in good physical condition, however, he is seeming a little more ribby than usual lately. Perhaps just a growth stage? Is it possible that he has a mild form of EPI as I've heard poop eating is a symptom, as well as slowed growth?
LMAOOO my boy did the same thing! I don't know what it is, he eventually stopped after he was about 4 months. Its just a dog thing, try feeding a more nutritious food, raw or Orijen which I use, something expensive LOL

·
Registered
261 Posts
Horses will do the same thing and most studies show it's a lack of minerals in their diet. I'd upgrade to a higher quality feed. Going to a raw diet (with bones) provides more vitamins and minerals which is probably why it stops with raw.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine did this from 10 weeks (when we got him) until 20 weeks.

We followed the advice here, cleaned up immediately.

The behavior stopped, although he remained way too interested for at least a month more.

Not sure if it was cleaning up, or something else.

He's 9 months now, shows no interest (fortunately).

He's our 4th GSD, the only one to do this.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
All good ideas here about checking for other issues, and making sure on a complete diet. Sometimes dogs just do it though. Picking it up right away will break the cycle and reward they experience (eww).

I had to put our new cat's litter box in a closet with a cat door installed recently. My 9 moth old thinks someone is leaving snack sizes in a box for him to help himself. Like a selection box. He is on premium kibble, nupro silver, gets pumpkin, kefir..whatever. He is just gross that way. Even my 2.5 year old GSD looks at him like...ewwww.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Our dog is apparently happy, healthy, active. We have Canadian Geese that nest down at the subdivision pond, and he likes to snack on their poops. They are apparently small, hard and crunchy...eww, sorry for too much information! Anyway I pull him away or tell him to "Leave It" when I see him begin munching on a goosepoop snack, ew. ( He doesn't eat his own or other dogs though...thankfully.) This is a hard canine trait for humans to understand...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts