German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two shepherds. Both are three. Yesterday when we were all outside I noticed Bella walk over to Harley's poop and sniff it. Now, I keep the yard fairly clean and the joke was that I had just picked up the whole yard two hours before and here was this pile. Next thing you know Bella is eating Harley's poop!

She has never been a poop eater, why now? Could this be an indication of some sort of health problem?

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I think the 'it's a health problem' is a load of bunk!

Many of our GSD's eat poop, their own, their fellow dogs, and deer/goose/rabbit/squirrel.............................

Frankly, I think it's the same as when they roll in dead and stinky stuff. It's cause they LIKE IT! Yummy yummy great delicious treat.

Best thing to do is what you are, keep the yard picked up. Keep and eye on your dog and make sure you have a good 'leave it' command.

I've heard feeding your dogs meat tenderizer may help because if affects the poop flavor.

http://www.cesarsway.com/askthevet/dietadvice/dog-eating-feces

Stop your dog from eating dog poop - Coprphagia: Dog Health Information Provided by DoodyCalls Pooper Scooper Service

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lisl likes cat poop. Since I got her though, the neighborhood cats don't visit the yard nearly as often as they used to. She finds very few treats now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Our Golden does that too. He is 5 and about a month and a half after we moved into our new house I had him outside to go to the bathroom and next thing I know I see him chewing on something. I look closer and there he is just munching on his poop and what killed me was that he had just finished eating too. Dogs are just weird.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Nothing tastes bad or good to dogs...just different. Scarlett is a known poop eater and it's a daily task to keep her away from her own, plus any other critters'. She will NOT eat Canada goose poop, but everything else is fair game.

It's annoying and REALLY gross, but it's easier to control if you do keep your yard free of extra piles and keep an eye on the dog when they are outside. Scarlett can get to a pile of bunny poop hidden in the grass before I can get to her. Oy...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I could be wrong on this, but I heard that when dogs do that could be a lack of protein in they're diet, and that if they're eating their own poop you could give them a few pineapples mixed with their food, and it changes the taste of their poop and deters them from eating it, I could be wrong but that's what I've heard

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona loves her poop. Well, any poop. Meat tenderizer did not work for her or pineapple. For-bid only worked be caused it gave her very loose stools and apparently Fiona does not like soup. The only thing is keeping a close eye on her and hope I see the feral cat poop first.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Fiona loves her poop. Well, any poop. Meat tenderizer did not work for her or pineapple. For-bid only worked be caused it gave her very loose stools and apparently Fiona does not like soup. The only thing is keeping a close eye on her and hope I see the feral cat poop first.

LOL the soup had me cracking up

Rogue is a poop eater too. Mostly it's only when she was sick. Seems she doesn't do it often when she's healthy. The deter tablets seem to work for us most of the time. Nothing worse the. Her running in, big poop smile. Barf.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts