German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just switched my sheps raw food mix from beef/chicken/lamb to beef/pork/kidney/liver/tripe. He loves this combo but his poop has changed from a very solid yellow to a dark brown/black and slightly softer in consistency. Should I be worried, or is this normal when eating organ meat? Is there a specific amount of a certain protein they shouldn't have too much of or something like that, say beef? Still trying to understand it all, thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
9,650 Posts
short answer... chicken can cause yellow stools. organs typically cause darker stools. if black and soft, probably feeding too much organ meat or not enough bone.

where are you getting this (premade?) mix?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
short answer... chicken can cause yellow stools. organs typically cause darker stools. if black and soft, probably feeding too much organ meat or not enough bone.

where are you getting this (premade?) mix?
We get the mix from this local meat processing company that does dog food. I changed him to this mix because he is very sensitive to chicken and seems to be doing well otherwise on this new meat blend -- his coat seems much shinier as well. I believe they process the meat with the bones crushed as well, but maybe its not enough? They don't have many meat blends without chicken so this was a pretty lucky combo for us. Is there any way to gauge how much organ meat vs muscle meat he should be having?

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
PM me a picture of the poop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts