German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I want my DH to get a pool today for Duke, I was at Target & just chomping at the bit to bring one home but wouldn't fit in my car so he can stop by and get one but won't be home til 3pm, at around 5:30pm we are going out for dinner and meeting some friends, I worry he might be to wet after only a couple of hours to dry out.
Its around 80 here today. I should say we crate him when we leave the house indoors.

what do you think ? he's not had a pool yet so I don't know how he will do or react but I think he'd love it!

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
OMG yes he will
I have a baby pool for Brady he will stand in it and occassionally
lay down in it. Loves dropping his ball in it and drinking the water.

Towel dry him if he's damp so be it

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Chevy has his own pool and he loves it and does get pretty wet. He is mostly dry after a few hours though, especially if it's hot outside. He is usually ready for a nap after playing in the pool. If you are worried about Duke being too wet, you could towel dry him as much as possible after he plays in the pool and maybe lay a towel down in the crate when you leave to soak up any water. Or just wait til tomorrow when he has all day to play in the pool
Have fun!

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
He'll love it! If you're worried about him getting too wet, don't fill it up more than a few inches.

Morgan loves the pool. She jumps right in my kids pool and lays down with just her head out of the water! I keep some old towel rags handy to dry her down.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh yea, that will work towel drying him - I Don't know why I didn't think of it LOL.

I just found out my son and GF will be here when we are out too so he can come out of his crate when they come home.

Oh good I can't wait to tell my DH he's stopping after work
I better get my camera ready!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should I get in with him at first or will he just jump in on his own ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Both my boys absolutely love the little pool that I got for them. They chill in it on hot days more then they are out of it. I don't think you will need to get in it at all, when you are filling it up with the hose, they will become interested in whats going on and will probably start playing with the water spout, eventually making there way into the pool, and wa la, they are layin...they'll love it...

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Let him investigate and make the call. Toss his toys around and in. Every dog is different so you may want to be ready to get in too-but I doubt you will have too.

The first time I filled a kiddie pool for Kayla, she looked in the pool and then at me. One of the neighbor kids saw what we were doing, came over and started playing with her around the pool and through it, took all of three minutes. And I got to stay dry that day.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hehehee can't wait!

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
The first time I threw the tennis ball in the wading pool for Dante...that was all she wrote

That reminds me, I need to get him a new one this year

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
if its really hot I put my tootsie's in

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OH I am sure the neighbors got an eye full last week LOL. I got in it and tried to get him to drink out of the hose, he wouldn't have anything to do with it when i was around. as soon as I left and looked out the window he was jumping in chasing his toy & biting at the water. He never did lay down in it just stood there and turned circles.
But getting him to try with me was a site I am sure, singing "splish splash I am taking bath"

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Jesse loves his little pool and also loves to swim in the family in ground pool too, I don't care when he gets wet, I towel him off, which he loves. If he ends up in the house because it is later in the evening and he is still wet, oh well, things dry eventually and it is no worse than him having a bath in the winter time (when he can't be outside wet).

·
Registered
260 Posts
We do have an above ground pool which we would like Lola to eventually be able to enjoy once daddy finishes put a deck all around it. The stairs into the pool are large and she should have no problem getting in and out. I have taken her to the pond, but have since banned her since she went for a swim chasing the duck and absolutely refused to come when called. My 8 year old and I looked like a pair of idiots hollering for her to come and she kept swimming round and round. I ended up wading into the pond to pull her out. Boy was I furious!!!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
we don't have a pool for our dog but we're going to get one. our dog loves getting sprayed with the hose. it's 80 degrees or so. i don't dry him he at all. he gives a few good shakes and i bring him in the house. it's a good time to brush them when they're wet. i say get him a pool. besides if he doesn't like you can sit there and put your feet in it and have a nice cold drink or turn it into a planter. do not leave your dog unattended around the pool even though it's a kiddie pool. i'm not big on leaving dogs unattended in yards at all. have fun with the pool and give the dog a splash for me.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
I live on a river and borh my dogs love the water. The kicker is for whatever reason the White GSD dries much faster then my more traidional Sable/Tan dog does.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Onyx and Kacie love their pool, Kacie will also go in the Koi pond if I am not watching
her. Onyx won't lay in the kiddie pool, but Kacie loves it and puts her head under and throws the water all over!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looks like Kacie doesnt want to get her beautiful tail wet. LOL. Heres a picture of Brody and Greta with the pool. Greta wouldnt get in cuz I think shes afraid Brody is going to drown her. He held her down playing in it a week or so ago and shes still a little shy. When hes inside I catch her in it by herself with her toys....

·
Registered
441 Posts
Echo adores water, if we turn the hose on to water the flowers he will bark at us until we wet him down.
Indigo is still young, she still hates the water.

We are looking to get them a baby pool maybe this weekend too.

And with Echo who is on the longer hair side, he dries in the sun within minutes. Of you can just towel the dog off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts