German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister is looking at a poodle. Um. I hate them.
She is asking for advice about what breed is good for her. I know it's her business.... but standard poodle!? shees. Help me.
What are the reasons you don't like them?
Besides the skin problems and the yippyness.
Oh the goopy eyes. What else?

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I like standard poodles. They're very versatile, easy to train, not barkers, hypoallergenic*, good with other dogs generally and healthy.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I like standard poodles. They're very versatile, easy to train, not barkers, hypoallergenic*, good with other dogs generally and healthy.
Ditto this. Standards, and really all poodle varieties, are fabulous dogs.

I believe the main reason people dislike poodles, is due to the large number of people who own them and don't do crap with them. Else get them from very poor quality breeds.

A well bred, well reared poodle is truly a fabulous animal.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They do bark though, the ones I've known. She's not allergic so the hypoallergenic piece makes no difference.
Glad you like them I guess. But I remember a thread about other breeds and LOTS of people didn't like poodles. That's who I want to hear from. I want to know why so many people here don't like them.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I think more people dislike toy poodles because of the size and napoleon complex of them than for the actual breed.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The one she's looking at is 6 months old and 15 lbs, which they say is big for his age. Yet they refer to him as a standard. That seems very small to me.

·
Registered
877 Posts
So let me get this straight... your sister wants a poodle.

And you want to give her reasons NOT to want them, without any reasons whatsoever as to why they WOULD be a good breed for her? Simply because you don't like them?

I assume, seeing as you said your sister is the one who wants this dog, that SHE is the one who is going to be living with/caring for it. Why on earth would you want to discourage her from a breed that SHE really wants? Especially a breed like a poodle, which is actually a VERY "user friendly" dog. Coat aside, a well bred poodle has a fantastic temperament, is not "barky" (no more than your average GSD), has no worse health issues than any other popular large breeds, and is redonkulously easy to train.

Seems a little crooked if you ask me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think it's your sister's choice what kind of dog she gets. If you want to help her out by showing her a list of all the negative things about Standard Poodles, then you should be fair and show her a list of all the positive things, too.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Here's a link to the Poodle Club of America, pass it on to her, let her talk to reputable breeders/owners about the positives and negatives and let her come to her own conclusion.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Never owned a poodle... Only contact I have ever had with one is when I was a child a friend of mine had a small poodle and another friend of mine a few years later had a big black one.... both seemed very sweet!! I don't see the point in telling someone not to get the dog they like just because you don't like the breed.... Sounds unfair to me! I say keep your personal dislikes to yourself and judge the breed as rather it would be a good match for your sister not yourself. If she likes the breed and it works for her I would encourage her to get the dog and keep your personal likes or dislikes out of it being the puppy isn't for you.:D

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have taken OB classes with 3 standard poodles, one of whom has since become a friend, and they were all lovely dogs - easy to train, and certainly barked a lot less than all of the GSDs in the class! I'm not a big fan of the smaller poodles, but can't really think of anything bad to say about the standards.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I'm not a fan of their personalities... too mature for my liking. A dog that's well behaved for no good reason creeps me out ;)
I also don't like "having" to get a dog groomed. A GSD will look fine if you neglect them even for a few months but a poodle must be kept up or you'll look like a bad owner. This also gets really expensive. Our neighbors spend $120 every few weeks for a bath and haircuts. I can think of much better things to do with $120 for my dogs (that they actually care about!)

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
if it's 15 pounds and 6 months, it is NOT a standard.

WHERE is she getting this dog?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes that's right. hahaha
She got her first dog several months ago and considering me to be more experienced asked for advice. She choose a dog I wouldn't have recommended and I tried to slow her down. But she plunged in despite my reservations about him. He turned out to be dog aggressive, cat aggressive, and has other difficult issues. She's worked with him daily for months. Been through 4 trainers and a behaviorist. The last trainer has told her that he's never going to be transformed into the dog that she wants. Ie, a dog that can play nicely, and see other animals without reaction. A dog that she can bring to visit friends and family with. She would like to get a cat one day. She can't let this guy play because he's just super dysfunctional. He has given her a concussion & another time stitches. She's covered in bruises and scrapes. His obedience is great as long as there is nothing on wheels, or no other animal in sight. The rescue has agreed to take him back and especially since they told her he was dog & cat friendly. He certainly was not what she was looking for.
Her house has been broken into numerous times and she wants a dog that will deter burglars. Also a companion that she can take to the park and to visit friends.
She used to be afraid of the shedding of a GSD, but she says that's peanuts now compared to what she's been through.
She's looking at a lot of dogs, but is leaning toward the chocolate poodle. She wants my advice. I just don't care for them personally. But it's not anything in specific. I just don't like them. I know they're smart. They just bug me. Since she asked me what I think... and I don't want to just say I hate poodles. As yet, I haven't said anything other than she needs to take more time and not get the 1st cute thing she sees.
I remembered a lot of people here mentioned poodles as their least favorite breed so I wondered why.
Of course if she connects to the poodle and decides that's her dog, I will accept it and congratulate her. But as long as she's shopping and asking my opinion, there is hope that she'll choose a better dog.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
standard poodles i dont have much issue with. its the toy poodles i dont like. But i wouldnt have a poodle simply because i dont care for the coat they have. they're very intelligent dogs and can do a great many things. they're just not the dog for me. They are higher energy dogs though.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The dog is on her local craigslist. Someone has 5 dogs and are rehoming 1 or 2. They claim he's a standard. He has no tail and I think he's too small for his age to be a standard. It's not just the poodle part, it's the whole story I'm uncomfortable with.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
My mom has a standard and a toy, they are unreal smart (did you know they are ranked higher than GSDs for smarts?!?) but 15 at 6 months does not seem like an average standard, my mom's is about 50lbs full grown and I don't think it has gained 35 of that after 6 months.

·
2,967 Posts
A Standard Poodle is a pretty good sized dog about the size of a smaller GSD. All the Standard Poodles I've known have been exceptionally smart, trainable, and generally nice dogs. Active though. And we all should know what smart + active can mean for a house pet! They are vocal...but I would say no more vocal than my Shepherds. There is the extensive grooming, but consequently they don't shed.

The minature and toy varieties in my experience tend to be a good deal yappier and more high strung.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
My mom has a standard and a toy, they are unreal smart (did you know they are ranked higher than GSDs for smarts?!?) but 15 at 6 months does not seem like an average standard, my mom's is about 50lbs full grown and I don't think it has gained 35 of that after 6 months.

if i remember right poodles came in 1st on the smarts and GSDs ranked 3rd or 4th. but thats if i'm remembering right.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts