German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was interested in seeing if any fellow German Shepherd:halogsd: dog owners dress there dogs...If so, why?? If not, why??

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I like putting silly hats on my dog and funny clothes :blush:, but I don't take him out in public like that(except for halloween when I dressed him up as a dalmation). He would get too warm if I actually dressed him up like when people put tiny outfits on their purse dogs.

Putting silly clothes on your dog isn't completely useless because it introduces them to having things on their body, so when you have to put necessary things on them when they are older like backpacks, lifejackets, safety vests, cones, bandages or casts, and even muzzles, they are more accepting of it. :)

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
**** NO!!! I was in Big Lots a couple weeks ago and DD made a comment on some dog "clothes" and I said No! and a woman behind me giggled. DD made a smart comment to me and I said, "I have a German Shepherd. Not a foo foo dog" And the woman stopped away. Must be she does dress her dog. ;)

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I do. But she's an old Shih Tzu. Anything that keeps her warm is alright by me. Little foo-foo sweaters and all.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I only dress Dodger up on Halloween in his Bumble Bee costume to make him less intimidating. I have a jacket for him for the desert when it gets really cold at night. other than that no.

·
Registered
940 Posts
My daughter has a pair of reindeer antlers, devil horns and a princess crown that I like putting on Xander (poor thing with the princess crown LOL) but I would never take him out like that except on Halloween :)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
GSD---Just the back pack when hiking and bandanna from time to time.

My great dane had a Harley leather coat but he has a different natural coat so he was always cold

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I only put a coat on my mini doxie when it's really cold outside. She hates the cold. But one day Hondo was really ticked that he didn't have a coat on (kept attempting to grab her coat when I was putting it on her) so I put one of my old jackets on Hondo. He didn't seem too happy about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
I do NOT!

Do NOT look at that puppy in my Avatar!!!

No really, I don't but my sister thought it would be cute for me to bring the puppies to the childrens' home in costume as it was a halloween party.

She suggested it at 11PM the night before.

Glad Wal-Mart is open 24 hours.

Costumes would have been too hot. I decided on infant onsies.

Cujo did not cooperate in that one, so,

Yeah, poor little browns fan dawgs.
Jenna and Babs are in the back row of the first picture. Brit (now Harley) is in the front with Cujo in the brown shirt. They were ten weeks old here.

Oh and collars and licenses were because we were traveling out of town for the party.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
No...to date...I have not.
However:...my children did dress my Rottweilers with basketball shorts and t-shirts....(when my boys were younger)......poor, pathetic dogs! LOL!
Robin

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
We just use orange "hunting jackets" to increase their visibility for walks in low light conditions, or for off-leash walks in our woods during hunting season (no one is allowed to hunt in our woods, but you never know if someone is trespassing).

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I only dress my dog up during holidays, he doesn't mind wearing things, he makes no attempt to take it off. If I felt that it was bothering him then I wouldn't put anything on him.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Wolfie dresses up for important playoff games. Hopefully the Bruins will have better luck this year. I also have to go dig out a Patriots jersey for the upcoming playoffs :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
When she is at some special events Abby wears a coat that was made for her by AbbyK9 that has patches that highlight her career. It is good in crowds because too many parents tell their kids that they can pet a dog without checking with the person handling the dog. The coat looks official so parents are more likely to ask.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I have mostly functional "dress" items - I have some rubber boots and a blanket-style coat (it's a vintage military working dog coat) and I have a yellow reflective vest.

I DO have "clothes" - I keep a couple of T-shirts around that would fit my dog if she ever has something that needs to be covered. A couple of weeks ago she got a hot spot and since she loves to roll in the snow or grass, I covered that by making her wear a T-shirt to keep her from getting it wet or dirty. I have a couple of shirts like that for "just in case" sort of uses.

And my friend Jess bought her two jackets (like kids' jackets) to Halloween to wear, she thought Ronja would look cute in pink. :D She's only worn those to try them on and take a picture. LOL

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
My brother was telling me about a woman he went off on in a store one day for making a smart comment about another woman who had her dog dressed up. :p My brother lives in Colorado and while he's not the brightest person when it comes to animals he does understand one thing from the many years we owned Chihuahuas.....They DO have to be dressed up.

It ended up with my brother going off on her about how they need clothes to stay warm and that if she hasn't noticed, it's snowing outside. :rofl:

I personally DO dress up both my dogs. Chance had PJ's as a puppy, he has all kinds of Halloween costumes and gets a new one every year, he has funny hats and even a jacket and boots. :) Zoey has a sweater and some costumes. Zoey -HAS- to have hers because I keep her shaved and she's old. Chance on the other hand doesn't but I do still do it occasionally. (Obviously not when it's 100 degrees in the summer throwing on a hot jacket or something!) If someone wants to judge me, that's ok. He doesn't mind it and IME, it helps make my "big bad GSD" look a little more friendly and he loves the attention he gets when people ask me about it. ;)

Nothing wrong with it IMO. It's not just "little foofoo dogs" who need it either. Consider big ol' Greyhounds who are short coat, low fat bodies and HAVE to have jackets and body suits to keep them warm. I realize the argument will be "well my GSD has a thick coat" but the point is, it's not just crazy small dog owners. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts