German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
that sure doesnt look good. I know if I was on scene, i would have never allowed that to happen.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
poor doggy. she sounded really scared I'd be too with officers yelling at me and then tazing me :(

·
Registered
285 Posts
So sad. Can somebody explain to me why they dispatched police officers instead of animal control? I think AC can handle situation like that much better/safer?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is disturbing on so many levels. First, all the officers seemed to be afraid of the dog. I can understand one officer, but three or four? These are Des Moines' finest?

Second, the dog was clearly agitated and the actions of the officers seemed likely to add to the dog's agitation rather than calm it.

Three, as far as can be known from the news report, the officers weren't responding to an emergency situation, i.e., the dog had attacked someone or was generally acting aggressive. So, like acillation asks, why wasn't animal control called to the scene?

Four, the dog was inside a fence, according to the news report.

Finally, the officer who said "nice" at the end seriously needs to lose his job and never be allowed to work in law enforcement again. I don't think he has the right temperament.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
that pissed me off so bad that i immediately sent an email to the des moines, wa police department explaining all the ways in which those officers miserably failed in their duties under those circumstances.

ive caught several stray dogs of a more aggressive nature by using food items and my brain. these officers seemed to be wetting their pants and at the same time seemed very eager to use their firearm....i bet that made them really happy since they likely rarely get to shoot anything in their little town.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Absolutely terrible ... no common sense and very disappointing for a police officer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Finally, the officer who said "nice" at the end seriously needs to lose his job and never be allowed to work in law enforcement again. I don't think he has the right temperament.
Couldn't agree more! Who in their right mind says "nice" after taking a life? And that poor dog was in so much pain from the electricty going through her from the dang taser. Poor baby would be scared to death and confused.

Make no mistake, at least one of these officers already had it in their head they were going to kill this dog. After they asked if they should just kill it, their mind was made up. I doubt any change in the way that dog behaved would have provided a different ending. Had she approached, tail wagging, that guy still would have shot. They were too scared and too trigger happy to think clearly.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
one word comes to mind in reference to these "guys" and thats morons. I'm livid over this. They had NO reason once she was in her fence. She was doing what dogs do. Yes, she's a large breed and HER breed is generally very friendly. They really had to have scared that dog for her to behave that way. I've rescued dogs that truly WERE aggressive and what i would consider to be dangerous. One of those dogs was a black shepherd who was simply terrified and had no idea what was going on except he had been snipped, muzzled and left in his yard as usual while his owner went to work. I am so angry. You better believe this Police Department will get a strongly worded email from me and several others. They handled the situation beyond poorly and i agree the officer who said "nice" needs to lose his job. THAT is the kind of LEO i would refer to as a pig. You dont take a life, ANY life and say nice. Makes you wonder what he teaches his kids if he has any...

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Yeah, what was up with that "Nice" at the end???? Seriously??? And where was AC. Why weren't they called?

·
Registered
655 Posts
I hope the dash cam is misleading because there is just too many bad responses shown on that video. I try to give officers the benefit of the doubt but that one looks bad for the officers.

As far as the department goes, it is good that they were open enough to release the dash cam video even though it sheds a bad light on their officers. I hope they can correct the issues. Even if the dash cam is misleading, there are issues of the officer's demeanor in public. Looking wrong does as much damage to reputation as being wrong.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They had NO reason once she was in her fence.
In fairness to the officers, she wasn't inside her own fence. She was in someone else's yard. I'm not sure how she got inside or if there was a way she could have easily come outside the fence and attacked the officers.

The whole thing is just wrong, though.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Additional info:

Des Moines is a small city. They have an animal control department, but don't work weekends. Apparently, the officers did consult with the lead animal control officer during the incident but I'm not sure what, if anything, she suggested they do.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Rosie Public Documents

Unit 545 at about the 2minute mark.

Awfully disappointing too me to hear them laughing about it. If the animal has to be shot is one thing, at least they could show a little compassion.

Yes, I know it is not reflective of most officers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts